Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

But at the same time, it's safer for the elderly to stay at home, with family members doing the shopping for them. You may find one young-ish person is going out to do the shopping for several elderly parents/grandparents/neighbours (and their own household) in one shopping trip. Implementing an 'elderly only' time-slot may actually prevent the elderly getting what they require. Some of the people being abused for buying several packets of loo roll and tins of beans may actually be only buying 1 packet for each household.

Agreed. But there is no harm in proposals such as this. It's unrealistic to expect people to simply stay at home for 3-4months. Therefore I'd rather businessess adopted this two tier segregation. 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Cant help thinking that sounds horribly like the cruise ship experience! Maybe not if it's done right.

I understand, obviously there are more details to the proposal. Just like the idea of NHS staff getting inflected sooner rather than later, people looking after those in the hotels would have to have already had CV. It would mean them living in highly maintained buildings that are accessible, where wants and needs are limited and they have each others company. 

I've seen other proposals and it's exactly like during the Blitz when children from cities were sent to the countryside. 

18 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Agreed. But there is no harm in proposals such as this. It's unrealistic to expect people to simply stay at home for 3-4months. Therefore I'd rather businessess adopted this two tier segregation. 

It’ll balance out in a week or two when people won’t need to stockpile any more loo roll

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It’ll balance out in a week or two when people won’t need to stockpile any more loo roll

I hope so - we're down to our last 2 rolls (in a house of 4 people) and spent about 2 hours yesterday trawling every shop in town. Every shelf was bare. In fact several places were deliberately racking out pallets of kitchen roll in place of the loo roll. That in itself seems ridiculous, given that kitchen roll does not disintegrate like loo roll. People will just block their drains - which I suspect is the last thing they need right now

I'm hoping it's just down to supply chains and in the coming days, new deliveries will be taken and the demand will have dropped off because so many idiots have bought enough to last them until winter.

Anyway - eventually found some in a corner shop in Normanton. I could have kissed the fella, but you know...government advice and all that

49 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

We’ve got extra but you’ll have to meet me half way if you can’t get any?

Cheers mate appreciate that ,I'm eeking the last few squares out .Wipe my arse with my hand ,wash hands then keep folding a sheet and use the corner to clean the old finger nails. 

9 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I hope so - we're down to our last 2 rolls (in a house of 4 people) and spent about 2 hours yesterday trawling every shop in town. Every shelf was bare. In fact several places were deliberately racking out pallets of kitchen roll in place of the loo roll. That in itself seems ridiculous, given that kitchen roll does not disintegrate like loo roll. People will just block their drains - which I suspect is the last thing they need right now

I'm hoping it's just down to supply chains and in the coming days, new deliveries will be taken and the demand will have dropped off because so many idiots have bought enough to last them until winter.

Anyway - eventually found some in a corner shop in Normanton. I could have kissed the fella, but you know...government advice and all that

I have plenty spare if you (or someone else) is in desperate need. I bulk buy every few months and have enough to last my household of 2 people until the summer months - before you ask, I got this current batch mid-Jan.

My car is out of action at the moment (oops!) so you would have to pick them up yourself. The other problem is that I live near Lichfield, so maybe a little bit too far away for you.

41 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I tend to agree, but we have to take into account people stockpiling every time they get stuff. So even when they've got plenty, they'll still buy more than a week or twos worth everytime they go. Induced demand, so because people have more at home, they consume more and then also people will be eating more at home and less takeaways, restaurants, cafe's. 

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

Cheers mate appreciate that ,I'm eeking the last few squares out .Wipe my arse with my hand ,wash hands then keep folding a sheet and use the corner to clean the old finger nails. 

That's actually a very clever and well thought out idea.

...Can you come round and do mine, about half four this savvy... I'm not sure I'll be able to hold out much longer than that!  
Oh... bring yer own soap, will yer!  

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's not nice when you're one of the 3.7% ☹️

image.thumb.png.ec42c6017d678aa9047631f9666f8746.png

3 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

It's not nice when you're one of the 0.9% and you don't have a dictionary

It dot dice been 4.8% dasal condesdon, neider! 

Archived