Coronavirus

1of4

13 minutes ago, rammieib said:

A serious suggestion - I know we don’t have antibodies yet but does anyone know if anyone is looking at any kind of device like a breathalyser which could detect the Virus droplets and even better be re-useable.

Imagine being able to test yourself at home before leaving the house every day. That would well and truly be a game changer.

And before anyone shouts at me - I have absolutely no idea when it comes to the nature of how you’d make such a device.

I think the simplest explanation would be that antibodies are to be found in the blood and bone marrow, and not in the breath. You have to test for their presence biologically, whereas a breathalyser detects alcohol chemically.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

What was the actual figure then?

And what method have you used for counting?

I’d have just made a number up....er oh yeah.

If ordering on line doesn’t count as a completed test, and putting a testing kit in the post doesn’t count either, then what does? 

its weird isn’t it. Some people can’t see when their politicians are spinning and lying. Some don’t mind ( the goal stands). And some rush to the defence of these shysters. 

keep your powder dry son, until there really is something worth defending. 

7 minutes ago, RamNut said:

If ordering on line doesn’t count as a completed test, and putting a testing kit in the post doesn’t count either, then what does? 

its weird isn’t it. Some people can’t see when their politicians are spinning and lying. Some don’t mind ( the goal stands). And some rush to the defence of these shysters. 

Nothing to defend. I wouldnt have care if they havent hit the target, it's not through a lack of trying.

Just gutted for people like you who have been desperately hoping they didnt hit the target.

You've been waiting for this day for a  month and it must have been a  big anti climax for you.

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Presumably the point of a test...is the result? Without the result its meaningless....I could walk round just randomly handing them out? Surely that doesn't equate to testing. 

Give me 100,000 tests and I could get shot of them sharpish. Hardly the point is it? 

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Nothing to defend. I wouldnt have care if they havent hit the target, it's not through a lack of trying.

Just gutted for people like you who have been desperately hoping they didnt hit the target.

You've been waiting for this day for a  month and it must have been a  big anti climax for you.

? 

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

?

Now you know how we have felt with your updates on testing numbers. Look forward to today's update...

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I think the simplest explanation would be that antibodies are to be found in the blood and bone marrow, and not in the breath. You have to test for their presence biologically, whereas a breathalyser detects alcohol chemically.

Hi Eddie - I get that, but when you breathe out, this virus is in your droplets so is there no way to check it at that point? There must be something which it could react to in order to identify itself?

What we need is I know this is going to say is deft but could be a way to say if you had it and how long for. Like pregentcy test but for conervirus how many weeks along or months and then send back to people testing for it.

29 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Hi Eddie - I get that, but when you breathe out, this virus is in your droplets so is there no way to check it at that point? There must be something which it could react to in order to identify itself?

I think it takes several hours for the labs to process the tests. I have no idea what's involved. Remember that viruses are extremely small (in the order of 100 - 120 nanometres) - you would need an extremely powerful microscope to be able to see one.

7 hours ago, rammieib said:

COVID-19, so I am told really does need to be be expelled from the body not just in your breath, hence the danger of coughing and sneezing. What makes it so contagious is that the certainty that once you have it inside your body it will replicate quickly and that is why it is a dangerous situation 

I don’t give fig what side of the left/ right divide people are on or which party is in power , wtf at a time like this can’t/won’t politician’s just tell the ducking truth, all I want from the top is the feeling you can trust the people in charge ,have the balls to say this is what we are trying to do and this is what we have done , you have a whole nation hanging on every word of these so called leaders needing to be able to trust they are doing their best rather than covering arses ,

would it be different if labour were in charge ?  I doubt it 

shame on the bloody lot of them ,sorry bunch of nest feather ‘s 

8 hours ago, Van Gritters said:

I suppose it depends if it supports his political views.

I suppose it depends if it breaks any forum rules. Considering how simple it is, some of you struggle a lot with the concept. 

3 hours ago, Archied said:

I don’t give fig what side of the left/ right divide people are on or which party is in power , wtf at a time like this can’t/won’t politician’s just tell the ducking truth, all I want from the top is the feeling you can trust the people in charge ,have the balls to say this is what we are trying to do and this is what we have done , you have a whole nation hanging on every word of these so called leaders needing to be able to trust they are doing their best rather than covering arses ,

would it be different if labour were in charge ?  I doubt it 

shame on the bloody lot of them ,sorry bunch of nest feather ‘s 

That’s the problem with politicians of all denominations sadly, they’re rarely, if ever, capable of saying we got it wrong or we failed.

With regard to the testing, to which you may be alluding, I do think too many, on this and other forums as well as the politicians themselves, are obsessed with whether or not the fairly arbitrary target of 100,000 tests per day was hit and hit fairly.

As Hancock said himself, the important thing is that setting such an audacious goal (he actually used those words) helped focus minds (nobody likes to miss a target) and resources. For me, even if you strip out the postal tests and the figure came down to 80,000 I’d still be thinking that’s a pretty damn impressive uplift.

I really don’t know why they couldn’t have said something along the lines of “It was a stretching target and we didn’t quite make it with only 80,000 actual tests completed. A further 40,000 postal tests were sent out which would have taken the figure up to 120k. However, actual tests completed will continue to rise and we’ll very soon far exceed the 100k goal”. Then none of us, politicians and media included, would be wasting any time debating, defending or challenging whether the target was met or not.

26 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

That’s the problem with politicians of all denominations sadly, they’re rarely, if ever, capable of saying we got it wrong or we failed.

With regard to the testing, to which you may be alluding, I do think too many, on this and other forums as well as the politicians themselves, are obsessed with whether or not the fairly arbitrary target of 100,000 tests per day was hit and hit fairly.

As Hancock said himself, the important thing is that setting such an audacious goal (he actually used those words) helped focus minds (nobody likes to miss a target) and resources. For me, even if you strip out the postal tests and the figure came down to 80,000 I’d still be thinking that’s a pretty damn impressive uplift.

I really don’t know why they couldn’t have said something along the lines of “It was a stretching target and we didn’t quite make it with only 80,000 actual tests completed. A further 40,000 postal tests were sent out which would have taken the figure up to 120k. However, actual tests completed will continue to rise and we’ll very soon far exceed the 100k goal”. Then none of us, politicians and media included, would be wasting any time debating, defending or challenging whether the target was met or not.

I'm torn on this, cant work out if I think:-

(a) it's a sad state of affairs that, at a time like this, the Government would need to massage figures just to stop the blood thirsty left from having a field day

(b) it's just politicians acting as normal and making the end result fit the narrative 

I'm with you, regardless of whether the target was hit or not, we are taking steps in the right direction. I understand that this could/should have been done sooner but we are where we are. 

I'm fully open to criticism of the Government but right now I would hope everyone is pulling together as surely we all have the same end goal?

I personally dont see the point in 'the Government have cost lives' at this point in time. May sound harsh but nothing is going to bring them people back. However, working together could save more people from dying.

13 hours ago, Van Gritters said:

I suppose it depends if it supports his political views.

I've had a look. One post removed is where I highlight how I had to fool them into agreeing what the graphic i posted actually showed ?

16 hours ago, rammieib said:

A serious suggestion - I know we don’t have antibodies yet but does anyone know if anyone is looking at any kind of device like a breathalyser which could detect the Virus droplets and even better be re-useable.

To test for the virus itself,  first of all you have to convert the virus RNA into DNA by reverse transcription, then you add a fluorescent dye that binds to certain virus gene sequences and then you measure the fluorescence to see if you've got it. There's no way you're ever going to be able to do that lot outside the laboratory.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_transcription_polymerase_chain_reaction?wprov=sfla1De

I don't know how they test for antibodies, but it is most certainly too complicated for it to be done at home.

26 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

To test for the virus itself,  first of all you have to convert the virus RNA into DNA by reverse transcription, then you add a fluorescent dye that binds to certain virus gene sequences and then you measure the fluorescence to see if you've got it. There's no way you're ever going to be able to do that lot outside the laboratory.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_transcription_polymerase_chain_reaction?wprov=sfla1De

I don't know how they test for antibodies, but it is most certainly too complicated for it to be done at home.

Can't believe you are advocating everyone drinking fluorescent dye!

5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Here’s my problem with that , 

we have reported deaths through the roof ( make your own minds up as that’s a lottery) , we have the whole country on lock down , other serious death causing disease treatments at almost stand still and this clown believes we need audacious target to FOCUS MINDS????

you couldn’t make this shat up, we really need these clowns don’t we 

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm torn on this, cant work out if I think:-

(a) it's a sad state of affairs that, at a time like this, the Government would need to massage figures just to stop the blood thirsty left from having a field day

(b) it's just politicians acting as normal and making the end result fit the narrative 

I'm with you, regardless of whether the target was hit or not, we are taking steps in the right direction. I understand that this could/should have been done sooner but we are where we are. 

I'm fully open to criticism of the Government but right now I would hope everyone is pulling together as surely we all have the same end goal?

I personally dont see the point in 'the Government have cost lives' at this point in time. May sound harsh but nothing is going to bring them people back. However, working together could save more people from dying.

I’m not torn at all G ,in fact I’m as un torn as I could be , whether it’s mp s in power covering their arses and trying to look good or shadow mp s sitting on easy street criticising and making themselves look good by pretending they would be doing better anyone with half a brain should be looking at these idiots and wondering how we’ve got to the point we are with such poor poor people running countries 

if we learn one thing from all this I really hope to god it’s that there needs to be massive change in politics, how we view it and what we demand from those that make a career/ big bucks from it ,,,

we have trump as president of the biggest super power , boris the tub thumper in charge of the U.K. and let’s be honest not any better opposition that make them seem almost acceptable 

Archived