Coronavirus

1of4

55 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

To all the non believers 

2D2468E1-4CA4-4828-B030-3A1F8A10B3F6.png

As long as those people coming in follow the guidelines when they get here, then I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe a compulsory quarantine but how would that be virtually impossible to enforce without tagging.

I'd rather concentrate efforts on the larger number of UK people not following the rules. I had to call in to my (deserted) office yesterday to pick up some paperwork and the back lanes around where I live were full of fully geared up cyclists in groups of anywhere between 2 and 6, miles away from the nearest house & clearly out for the day. Brief daily excercise my bum!.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I’d rather concentrate efforts on the larger number  of UK people not following the rules. I had to call in to my (deserted) office yesterday to pick up some paperwork and the back lanes around where I live were full of fully geared up cyclists in groups of anywhere between 2 and 6, miles away from the nearest house & clearly out for the day. Brief daily excercise my bum!.

This won’t help.

17 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

As long as those people coming in follow the guidelines when they get here, then I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe a compulsory quarantine but how would that be virtually impossible to enforce without tagging.

I'd rather concentrate efforts on the larger number of UK people not following the rules. I had to call in to my (deserted) office yesterday to pick up some paperwork and the back lanes around where I live were full of fully geared up cyclists in groups of anywhere between 2 and 6, miles away from the nearest house & clearly out for the day. Brief daily excercise my bum!.

All I'd say is it's hard to socially distance from people on a 3 hour flight. Or in an airport. Or on a bus to the parking. 

I'd be happy if they were just testing people's temperatures and stopping people boarding if they were elevated. It's not fool proof but anything that will help can't be a bad thing?

10 minutes ago, David said:

This won’t help.

Or this - 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52312560

Crap mixed messages again regards what you can & can't do.  The morons will be out in force again claiming they're out for a stroll, with 10 of their mates, all carrying a 24 pack of Carling under one arm, and a disposable BBQ under the other!!!  DUCKING INSANE TO RELAX MEASURES NOW!!!!

And I get it, people are moaning that they've been cooped up, Christ I'm dying to get out in the car for a while, but to to introduce these laxer rules now will see every beach & beauty spot rammed this weekend...

homeland facepalm GIF

Matt Hancock might find himself shuffling papers somewhere when this is over.

100,000 tests a day seems unachievable

arriving passengers not screened seems very negligent

people are not allowed to buy paint and brushes "simply to redecorate a kitchen" but can purchase tools and supplies to repair a fence "damaged in recent bad weather".

More helpful guidance from plod. 

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He's got the saying under promise over deliver the wrong way round .

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I sort of get it. The police are trying to legislate for common sense because people aren't able to work it out for themselves. Sadly it just makes more confusion as you point out. Give people an inch and they take a mile.

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Haven't we had a sudden surge a day or two before the 'target deadline'?
We went from a few hundred a day throughout Feb only to make a sudden jump above 1000 on the 28th. This remained fairly steady throughout March before hitting 10,000 at the start of April. We've seen a slow increase to just under 20,000 yesterday. I wouldn'y be surprised if we see a massive jump to 100,000 on the 30th.

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Balls... I need a brush to paint my garage. Speaking of which, any recommendations on a brush/sprayer for something like this?
image.png.04b1c323a0a77327c7febc956be73c02.png

36 minutes ago, David said:

This won’t help.

Unbelievable!

Where can I buy a truck load of 1 metre measuring sticks?
Right now, I feel like taking two, taping them together endways on, and shoving them up each and every rectum on that bridge.  Perhaps add a flashing blue light to the leading end of each one for those so-called law-enforcers!

TWO METRES MY AR5E!

Shame on everyone involved.  Shame on the police.  Shame on London!  
Not big.  Not clever.  Not helping!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

Unbelievable!

Where can I buy a truck load of 1 metre measuring sticks?
Right now, I feel like taking two, taping them together endways on, and shoving them up each and every rectum on that bridge.  Perhaps add a flashing blue light to the leading end of each one for those so-called law-enforcers!

TWO METRES MY AR5E!

Shame on everyone involved.  Shame on the police.  Shame on London!  
Not big.  Not clever.  Not helping!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Scroll through the Met Police twitter account and they have retweeted so many of their forces in similar scenes but on a smaller scale, they even have Amanda Holden on one making an appearance outside a hospital despite earlier tweeting stay at home. 

Be interesting to see if this is mentioned in the daily briefing later.

It's like the people that stood on the bridge in Chernobyl watching a nuclear meltdown happen, except they weren't actually aware it was a nuclear meltdown at the time so have an excuse.

Support the NHS and key workers by using your loaf and following the guidelines. Gormlessly clapping in public around other people at 20.00 every Thursday might make a nice social media status for you, but it becomes a total farce when it starts drawing crowds as we have seen above.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Scroll through the Met Police twitter account and they have retweeted so many of their forces in similar scenes but on a smaller scale, they even have Amanda Holden on one making an appearance outside a hospital despite earlier tweeting stay at home. 

Be interesting to see if this is mentioned in the daily briefing later.

Radio Derby broadcast an interview with a senior Derbyshire policeman this morning - he was praising all the officers that stood outside the Royal Derby last night to applaud the NHS - he was keen to point out that they'd come (in their cars) from all areas of Derby. The irony of telling people not to make unnecessary journeys and then crowing about his own officers doing exactly that seemed to be lost on him......

28 minutes ago, RamNut said:

17 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I sort of get it. The police are trying to legislate for common sense because people aren't able to work it out for themselves. Sadly it just makes more confusion as you point out. Give people an inch and they take a mile.

I don't think the police are covering themselves in glory with the way they've handled this crisis.

The official line is that shops are allowed to sell anything they stock but the police are still trying to control what is bought. Fine, if we don't want people nipping out hither and thither for DIY stuff, then stop the shops from selling it.

2 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Radio Derby broadcast an interview with a senior Derbyshire policeman this morning - he was praising all the officers that stood outside the Royal Derby last night to applaud the NHS - he was keen to point out that they'd come (in their cars) from all areas of Derby. The irony of telling people not to make unnecessary journeys and then crowing about his own officers doing exactly that seemed to be lost on him......

Precisely!

By all means, wander to your garden gate.
If you do happen to be out and about, be that working, evening shopping, or some other form of "Essential business", then maybe consider standing for a moment, and applauding (assuming this does not inconvenience anyone around you re the 2m rule).

Going out especially?  Specifically to join others?  Tossers!

10 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Where’s that drone when you need it?

I have been pretty negative towards the whole 'Clap for Carers' thing and this is why. It was inevitably going to become a race to see who could care the most, who could clap the hardest and now we have actual crowds of people gathering to do it. Appearing to care doesn't mean you actually care. Taking the relevant steps to protect the key workers means you care, not prancing about on a bridge in the middle of a massive pandemic.

5 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I don't think the police are covering themselves in glory with the way they've handled this crisis.

The official line is that shops are allowed to sell anything they stock but the police are still trying to control what is bought. Fine, if we don't want people nipping out hither and thither for DIY stuff, then stop the shops from selling it.

Very true. But all the heavy-handed policing seems to be from good intentions, albeit a naïve and frankly bizarre interpretation at times. It's hardly surprising the public are at times confused when the police don't seem to be consistently right in their interpretation of the legislation.

9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Support the NHS and key workers by using your loaf and following the guidelines. Gormlessly clapping in public around other people at 20.00 every Thursday might make a nice social media status for you, but it becomes a total farce when it starts drawing crowds as we have seen above.

Theres a new large housing development near me. Very cliquey middle class types, the lot of them.

Quite a few have posted videos of the clapping on FB since last night and they don't seem to like me pointing out to them that while they're stood there videoing others, they are not themselves showing any appreciation for all the key workers. Which is sort of the point of the thing.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-04-16/targeted-amid-coronavirus-fears-while-this-lasts-i-ask-you-to-consider-moving.html

Silvana Bonino, a gynecologist at a private clinic in Barcelona, was heading to work on Tuesday when she discovered that her car had been spray-painted with the message “infectious rat.”

Thought I would paste the english version.  So much for the clapping for the health service!  Hopefully just odd events but living here I have to say I'm not overly surprised that some idiots have reacted like this

Archived