The Politics Thread 2020

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Gaspode said:

It's only a couple of years since FIFA fined our FA for putting (non-political) poppies on England shirts - now the FA (via the PL) are encouraging political slogans on the back of shirts in the PL. Seems the rules are there for when it suits - or when there's not a popular band-wagon to jump on.....

So we'll not bother with the #BLM then because FIFA got it wrong before, is that what you're saying?

1 hour ago, sage said:

https://blacklivesmatter.com/

Interestingly, there is a lot on the main site about disinformation.   

I see your cursory glance involved cherry picking bits that fit your agenda using 2 different sites and taking some bits out of context. 

You can’t accuse someone of disinformation if the very thing I’ve referenced is on your site. 

Plus the founders of these groups are quoted in interviews saying as much.

7 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

You can’t accuse someone of disinformation if the very thing I’ve referenced is on your site. 

Plus the founders of these groups are quoted in interviews saying as much.

Say you're correct (and I'm not saying that at all), so you're not in favour of these anti-racism stands? No mention of #BLM here:

INSERT%20-%20No%20Racism.jpg

2 hours ago, Dappled Ram said:

I am very disillusioned with our government's handling of this crisis

They just seem really, really rubbish don't they?

When this all kicked off I kind of had an idea that, much as I dislike the Tory Party in general, at least they are ruthless gits and that might actually be a good thing in a time of crisis.

Boy was I wrong on that score.

And let me be the first to say that if this was a Labour government ballsing it up in the same manner, I'd be slating them too - and quite telling that the people I know who voted for this shower have lost all confidence in them.

It's not about blue or red, or making decisions for the many or the few - it's just about a basic (lack of) competence

15 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

They just seem really, really rubbish don't they?

When this all kicked off I kind of had an idea that, much as I dislike the Tory Party in general, at least they are ruthless gits and that might actually be a good thing in a time of crisis.

Boy was I wrong on that score.

And let me be the first to say that if this was a Labour government ballsing it up in the same manner, I'd be slating them too - and quite telling that the people I know who voted for this shower have lost all confidence in them.

It's not about blue or red, or making decisions for the many or the few - it's just about a basic (lack of) competence

IYO 

19 minutes ago, philmycocu said:

I don't think a politics thread has any place on a football club forum, just sayin

Must have else you wouldn’t have found it,,,,?

pits actually a very good thread apart from the odd skirmish 

I notice curtains applauded your view despite posting on it all day ???, you do realise it’s not compulsory?

12 minutes ago, Archied said:

Must have else you wouldn’t have found it,,,,?

pits actually a very good thread apart from the odd skirmish 

I notice curtains applauded your view despite posting on it all day ???, you do realise it’s not compulsory?

I found it,,,,,,,,,, unhealthy

12 hours ago, FindernRam said:

You are missing the point entirely: If you took pictures of all these contentious statues, showed them to people, even with clues about where they were taken very very few people would know who they were. So replacing them with a generic person them serves very little purpose ,removing them completely and leaving a bare plinth or gap, even less.

I'm not missing the point at all - You said no-one really knows who these statues are - And no-one really cares

So there's a small group who love them, a small group who hate them and a massive group who just don't know/care 

Which means leaving them up and/or replacing them have exactly the same net outcome for the people who don't care - You (and I) don't care about them being there, I equally wouldn't care if they weren't there and I really wouldn't care if they were replaced - Unless they were replaced by a statue of Paddington Bear - Then I'd be very positive in support of the change - Or a Derby Ram (can we get Uncle Mel to fund that maybe?)

You've assumed that most people not caring means we should leave them - I've assumed most people not caring means it doesn't make any difference if we replace them - Both equally valid based on your initial assertion that most people don't care

9 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

This is what it's boiled down to for me

Every country who has dealt well with this crisis has been decisive about their actions and taken them quickly and forced everyone to react to them - Our government have dithered on every decision, taken at least a week longer than needed and then still come to the wrong decision (it seems) 50% of the time

9 hours ago, Curtains said:

IYO 

What's your metric for having dealt with it well?

We have the second highest deaths per million of the population in the world - Second only to Belgium who are surrounded on all sides by other countries so can barely control their borders at the best of times - We're an island...

I'm not saying this has been an easy time of it and I'm VERY pleased Corbyn isn't running the place right now but I find it difficult to see how the government have done well - When so many people have died under their running of the situation

Or is it just bad luck?

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So we'll not bother with the #BLM then because FIFA got it wrong before, is that what you're saying?

No Captain Facetious, I didn't say that (as you well know) - I'm saying that there are rules regarding what can (and cannot) be displayed on shirts - political statemants are not allowed according to the regulations, but the FA are happy to overlook this because they want to be seen to be doing something they see as being popular with the general public.

In a couple of years time, what if a club owner decides they they want to (for example) support a political party or make a political statement and adds a political logo to the shirts? - the FA wouldn't have a leg to stand on in any legal challenge as they've now torn up that regulation. You simply can't amend rules and regulations on the fly because it's seen as a popular thing to do....

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Say you're correct (and I'm not saying that at all), so you're not in favour of these anti-racism stands? No mention of #BLM here:

INSERT%20-%20No%20Racism.jpg

Perfect. No pandering to a divisive or destructive group, or implementing supremacist symbology. But, hitting the key message.

Well done Derby.

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

?Swing low sweet chariot? Next on the hit list (if you believe the media) ............ lol 

Comment from Trevor Phillips on Twitter:

So “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot”, celebrating the Underground Railway, written AFTER the Civil War by a freed slave, made popular by the African American Fisk Jubilee Singers, sung at many black funerals and civil rights demonstrations, honoured by Congress, now to be banned. It was a favourite of Paul Robeson, of Louis Armstrong and of Martin Luther King. The last attempt to ban the song was in 1939, in Germany. So black people’s own culture is also now to be cancelled. Please everyone, take a breath before you eliminate black lives from history.

Archived