The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

There was a mini-riot yesterday afternoon in Mannheim, Germany, where I live. 150 teenage youths gathered in the city centre and started smashing the patrol car windows when the police challenged them. The police then sent in around 40-50 officers. Four injured, four arrests.

You giveth then taketh away? 

21 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

There was a mini-riot yesterday afternoon in Mannheim, Germany, where I live. 150 teenage youths gathered in the city centre and started smashing the patrol car windows when the police challenged them. The police then sent in around 40-50 officers. Four injured, four arrests.

Blooming Antifa

Sith Happens

It is a very sad reflection on humanity, that people like Miriam Margoyles admits her first thought when Boris Johnson was ill was she wanted him to die.  She says he didn't get better as a human being, i tend to think she need to give herself a good hard stare in the mirror if she thinks the only reason she needed to alter her view was how people would think of her.

14 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

It is a very sad reflection on humanity, that people like Miriam Margoyles admits her first thought when Boris Johnson was ill was she wanted him to die.  She says he didn't get better as a human being, i tend to think she need to give herself a good hard stare in the mirror if she thinks the only reason she needed to alter her view was how people would think of her.

I must confess that my first thought was that I hope that he nearly dies, because then the idiot might start taking it seriously.

I think I got my wish, but I have a sneaking feeling that short memories will abound with respect to others around him.

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

As opposed to the British government who famously once said "We have heard enough from experts".

Obviously it's your prerogative, and I think we all know your views on the Government in general, but when discussing their reaction to this situation do you not think it would be better to discuss the points where you think they have gone wrong, what they could have done better  and what information was available to lead to that conclusion.

I've also noticed that alot of the people that are slating the Government just simply do not respond when it is pointed out that countries comparable to ours (Italy, France and Spain) are in a reasonably similar situation to us.

I mean there was even one poster pretending that we would be better off if we were still in the EU but then soon went missing when questioned on their delivery of ventilators and PPE.

I have absolutely no problem with criticism of the Government if it is backed up with logical evidence and comparatives but when it is based on an underlying hatred or a hangover from the Brexit situation, I find it quite tedious and unhelpful.

32 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

It is a very sad reflection on humanity, that people like Miriam Margoyles admits her first thought when Boris Johnson was ill was she wanted him to die.  She says he didn't get better as a human being...

I think it's a positive reflection, as she then said she hoped he'd get better. Seems she's admitting what many thought, but not enough thought the second part I'd warrant!

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think it's a positive reflection, as she then said she hoped he'd get better. Seems she's admitting what many thought, but not enough thought the second part I'd warrant!

This much is true sadly. To wish harm on someone purely because they dont share their political views really does not reflect well on them.

23 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Obviously it's your prerogative, and I think we all know your views on the Government in general, but when discussing their reaction to this situation do you not think it would be better to discuss the points where you think they have gone wrong, what they could have done better  and what information was available to lead to that conclusion.

I've also noticed that alot of the people that are slating the Government just simply do not respond when it is pointed out that countries comparable to ours (Italy, France and Spain) are in a reasonably similar situation to us.

I mean there was even one poster pretending that we would be better off if we were still in the EU but then soon went missing when questioned on their delivery of ventilators and PPE.

I have absolutely no problem with criticism of the Government if it is backed up with logical evidence and comparatives but when it is based on an underlying hatred or a hangover from the Brexit situation, I find it quite tedious and unhelpful.

People have a wide range of opinions, sometimes these are backed up with logical evidence and other times they are based on a gut feeling. I hope that the the government successfully handle a phased exit from the lockdown. I hope this is mainly based on the scientific evidence available and not unduly influenced by Conservative Party donors. 56.4% of the UK didn't vote for the Conservatives at the last election - maybe that explains why it feels to some like the Government gets a lot of stick on here

12 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

This much is true sadly. To wish harm on someone purely because they dont share their political views really does not reflect well on them.

I wished temporary harm on him so that he would learn from his experience.

Just now, 1967Ram said:

People have a wide range of opinions, sometimes these are backed up with logical evidence and other times they are based on a gut feeling. I hope that the the government successfully handle a phased exit from the lockdown. I hope this is mainly based on the scientific evidence available and not unduly influenced by Conservative Party donors. 56.4% of the UK didn't vote for the Conservatives at the last election - maybe that explains why it feels to some like the Government gets a lot of stick on here

I don't think the Government gets a disproportionate amount of stick, there are as many of us who will defend attacks that we dont think are warranted, as if those who will launch attacks just because 

I just dont see the point going on a thread about the coronavirus response and starting a post with something about Brexit or Johnson having 6 kids or being sacked when he worked for the media.

I'd like to think that people are fair enough to view the response to coronavirus in complete isolation.

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I wished temporary harm on him so that he would learn from his experience.

I think he looks healthier now than before. I hope he does learn from it and that influences government decisions for the better during this crisis and beyond.

52 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That would be me, I wasn't pretending, and while not suggesting that the EU have done a good job I would say a regulatory club that aligns standards makes this much more straightforward than the mess we're heading towards with a no deal; and I didn't disappear, I just couldn't be arsed to go round and round in circles ad nauseum again. 

59 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Eddie tends to pull the pin and lob the hand grenade in without much research or much to back him up at all.

6 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

That would be me, I wasn't pretending, and while not suggesting that the EU have done a good job I would say a regulatory club that aligns standards makes this much more straightforward than the mess we're heading towards with a no deal; and I didn't disappear, I just couldn't be arsed to go round and round in circles ad nauseum again. 

I know we don’t see eye to eye on the EU but don’t you think we are a lot more accountable to things already and not hiding behind the EU’s failings.

Sith Happens
43 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No, it's because the guys an arse!

bloody hell, if we start hoping everyone who is an arse dies of coronavirus there really won't be many people left. ?

Archived