The Politics Thread 2020

56 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I dont think any of us is qualified to question the new (self-appointed) SAGE expert

Didnt think the Government had released who SAGE was made up of?

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Norman said:

That's stupid. 

That's like saying why did a business spend 7 years cutting costs and doing everything to make more profits, only to have it undone in the last few weeks.

Like they knew it would happen. 

Its called contingency planning. Scenario testing. 

By conducting an exercise in 2016, doing nothing about it (why? costs?) priority calls were being made, hidden from view and scrutiny.

Businesses plan. 

Don't call me stupid, thank you.

54 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Brilliant! First it's Europe's fault, then it's the party that isn't in power!

When does it turn out the people in charge have to take some responsibility?

If you keep on making things up like this you do realise that you are going to convince yourself that it is actually being said by anyone.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thank goodness Boris is back, you lot havent been wheeling the old Dominic Cummings line whilst he has been off I've noticed.

Yes, Johnson’s back so I’ll be expecting more false-sounding upbeat messages, more waffling war references, and more quotations in the original Latin as he regresses to the security of his days at Eton.

I also expect that, despite having dropped the ball so very badly, he and his cabinet will continue to use their own, and everyone else’s, desperate catch up efforts as the perfect opportunity to puff themselves up on the telly.

56 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If you keep on making things up like this you do realise that you are going to convince yourself that it is actually being said by anyone.

Hey @G STAR RAM I think you must have missed this post:

"I could blame the opposition for being even more useless and failing to provide any alternative."

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Didnt think the Government had released who SAGE was made up of?

Just another example of the government's policy of transparency in their actions. Not.

16 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Did Boris Johnson really show this graph in the briefing and say "we have succeeded in avoiding the tragedy seen elsewhere in the world"?

EW3odUuWsAIkGIs?format=jpg&name=large

Hey, give the guy a break. He's not been very well and just had a new baby as well as going through a divorce. He's also out of his depth and his colleagues are mostly hopeless.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Hey @G STAR RAM I think you must have missed this post:

"I could blame the opposition for being even more useless and failing to provide any alternative."

And you think that post is related to the current crisis?

45 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Did Boris Johnson really show this graph in the briefing and say "we have succeeded in avoiding the tragedy seen elsewhere in the world"?

Does the "all settings" in brackets refer to the inclusion of not only hospital based but other deaths? And if so, do we have a consistent way of counting the latter yet?

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

It's a meaningless graph though. On that graph, the most successful country/province would be Vatican City, presumably. Compare deaths per 1m population, or infections per capita etc.

It's as much use as this diagram of population per capita.

population-per-capita.jpg

Trump says he has seen convincing evidence that the virus originated in the Wuhan laboratory.  US intelligence agencies have said the opposite.  Both parties have little credibility, so what can one make of that?  Trump seeks reelection and his main tool for that seems to be China bashing.  Notice the wording that Chinese official uses, that US is shifting blame to China.  To shift blame is to be guilty of something and blaming another for it.  Fingers pointing east and west.

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Does the "all settings" in brackets refer to the inclusion of not only hospital based but other deaths? And if so, do we have a consistent way of counting the latter yet?

Yes it does. From earlier this week, the daily rate includes all deaths that’s why the figures yesterday were over 700 but hospitals only was below 400 I seem to recall.

34 minutes ago, ramit said:

Trump says he has seen convincing evidence that the virus originated in the Wuhan laboratory.  US intelligence agencies have said the opposite.  Both parties have little credibility, so what can one make of that?  Trump seeks reelection and his main tool for that seems to be China bashing.  Notice the wording that Chinese official uses, that US is shifting blame to China.  To shift blame is to be guilty of something and blaming another for it.  Fingers pointing east and west.

Assuming the Chinese official is using the phrase correctly.

2 hours ago, ramit said:

Sorry but the US Intelligence agencies didn't say this. 

"The entire Intelligence Community has been consistently providing critical support to U.S. policymakers and those responding to the COVID-19 virus, which originated in China,”

“The Intelligence Community also concurs with the wide scientific consensus that the COVID-19 virus was not manmade or genetically modified."

Also there is a reason the Pentagon is also investigating. Because the intelligence agencies consistently lie and don't operate apolitical. 

I'll wait until an international team has gone to the lab in question. China's already butting heads with Australia for merely suggesting this. What are they hiding..

I'd be surprised if the building hasn't already been demolished. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Assuming the Chinese official is using the phrase correctly.

Yes and that the translation is precise.  Some Chinese officials however have blamed the US for this virus outbreak in past weeks.

i think that possibly both parties are trying to cover their arses, because they know it is not a naturally occurring virus outbreak.

6 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Its called contingency planning. Scenario testing. 

By conducting an exercise in 2016, doing nothing about it (why? costs?) priority calls were being made, hidden from view and scrutiny.

Businesses plan. 

Don't call me stupid, thank you.

Didn't call you stupid. Thank you. I said the idea that the government should not have tried to get the national debt down because of an incoming pandemic nobody knew about was stupid. 

And how many businesses had a plan for a global pandemic? Seriously. 

Archived