The Politics Thread 2020

53 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I can say for certain that the tories and the brexit supporters need to own this pooshow now. Don't blame Brussels or Merkel, don't blame Corbyn, don't blame Blair. 

You proudly didn't "bend over backwards" so you got what you expected. 

Now you have to make it work. You took back control. Congratulations. 

We will. It's been 4 years almost. Do give it a rest soon ?

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Unfortunately, that won't happen (making it work). It will always be Europe's fault, they will always to be to blame for everything, and excuses will be found to exonerate this government, the decisions they have made and the people that voted for them because everybody knows that it would have been far worse under a Labour government.

Still, never mind - Wetherspoons are planning to open in a month's time - a self-fulfilling prophecy if ever I heard one.

Don't be silly Eddie, it won't always be Europe's fault. We can get back to blaming the poor, immigrants, Muslims etc.

2 hours ago, Van Gritters said:

I’m not sure how you would police the isolation when everyone else is still moving about may be tag them??

As for a Germany yes I don’t blame them at all. Any country would do the same. What we needed to be able to do is set up these testing centers quicker but you still need a testing strategy. 

As for the 2016 shortcomings what were they?

They aren't moving about here. It's straight from the airport and locked in a motel room for 2 weeks. Meals dropped at the room door. There was one fella who decided to sneak out and he has 3 months in a cell now to think if that root was worth it.

9 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Have I upset you poppet? The shorter version was better, it made more sense.

Too hard to follow?

Dominic Raab also warned the UK was at a "dangerous moment", saying that the peak of the virus had not passed.

PM Boris Johnson said he will set out a "comprehensive plan" next week on how to restart the economy, reopen schools and help people travel to work following the coronavirus lockdown.
He said the UK was "past the peak" of the virus outbreak.

Heads or tails?

1 hour ago, Stagtime said:

They aren't moving about here. It's straight from the airport and locked in a motel room for 2 weeks. Meals dropped at the room door. There was one fella who decided to sneak out and he has 3 months in a cell now to think if that root was worth it.

Meanwhile, here in the UK, there have already been 9,000 people fined for breaking lockdown regulations.  I wonder what percentage that was of the overall number of transgressors, nay, criminals? A miniscule percentage, no doubt, meaning that we have a huge number of dipsticks who think that they are immune, AND have a desire to kill their grandparents. Because that's the reality of this situation - you go out unnecessarily, you are contributing to the death of others.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Meanwhile, here in the UK, there have already been 9,000 people fined for breaking lockdown regulations.  I wonder what percentage that was of the overall number of transgressors, nay, criminals? A miniscule percentage, no doubt, meaning that we have a huge number of dipsticks who think that they are immune, AND have a desire to kill their grandparents. Because that's the reality of this situation - you go out unnecessarily, you are contributing to the death of others.

It's always quite interesting to see political debates wean down to left versus right, whilst authoritarian versus libertarian is largely ignored.

Where are our old school hippies at. Left wing libertarians. ?

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

As a nation i think we have followed the advice given very well. It helps that we have Australia's chief medical officer calling the shots and he is telling it with no punches pulled, not a politician. I think this was just to cover pollies arses but it has worked well. As a result we are starting the road to recovery at midnight tonight with travel up to a 50 km radius from your home. They will review things in 2 weeks to see which way to go after that.

16 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

It's always quite interesting to see political debates wean down to left versus right, whilst authoritarian versus libertarian is largely ignored.

Where are our old school hippies at. Left wing libertarians. ?

Mate i put myself on the left side of things but when something like this comes along, the authoritarian side of things has to take precedence. I think it comes down to who do you believe. As i mentioned above, we have the chief medical officer calling the shots and he is very matter of the fact. It was the same here when the GFC hit, we had the head of the financial reserve call the shots and as a result we were the only country not to go into recession.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Dominic Raab also warned the UK was at a "dangerous moment", saying that the peak of the virus had not passed.

PM Boris Johnson said he will set out a "comprehensive plan" next week on how to restart the economy, reopen schools and help people travel to work following the coronavirus lockdown.
He said the UK was "past the peak" of the virus outbreak.

Heads or tails?

I wish Dominic Cummings would make his bloody mind up.

5 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I wish Dominic Cummings would make his bloody mind up.

Thank goodness Boris is back, you lot havent been wheeling the old Dominic Cummings line whilst he has been off I've noticed.

11 hours ago, Van Gritters said:

It’s not Germany or any other country at fault, they have done what you would expect. We hadn’t got the facilities to test on a large scale. Did we need them before March? It’s the ability of getting it set up quick to adapt. I work in a reactive job and believe me an emergency repair can throw all sorts of obstacles in front of you. Unless you have been on the front line having to deal with issues as they come in and making a decision that is made to the best of your knowledge I don’t think people can really appreciate the task in hand. Then getting the logistics Put in while every day another obstacle is thrown in front of you. The actual people who have dealt with this have done really well to deal with what they have picked up.

I would say in hindsight we did need to be more prepared but before this there were 1000’s of other real issues that needed addressing. Was the 2016 shortfalls brushed under the carpet? I personally think we have been squabbling over Brexit since 2016 to take much notice of anything else. No real direction or anything for 3 years. Preparing for a pandemic was the last thing on anyones mind before this.

A damning indictment of our government given all of the other issues that affect our lives.

You missed the previous 7 where the direction was all about getting the deficit down (not the debt).

I wonder if all of those government members now think about the futility of that period given that their efforts and misery caused are being completely undone in a matter of a few weeks....

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

A damning indictment of our government given all of the other issues that affect our lives.

You missed the previous 7 where the direction was all about getting the deficit down (not the debt).

I wonder if all of those government members now think about the futility of that period given that their efforts and misery caused are being completely undone in a matter of a few weeks....

I could blame the opposition for being even more useless and failing to provide any alternative.

6 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I could blame the opposition for being even more useless and failing to provide any alternative.

Brilliant! First it's Europe's fault, then it's the party that isn't in power!

When does it turn out the people in charge have to take some responsibility?

18 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

That's stupid. 

That's like saying why did a business spend 7 years cutting costs and doing everything to make more profits, only to have it undone in the last few weeks.

Like they knew it would happen. 

7 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Brilliant! First it's Europe's fault, then it's the party that isn't in power!

When does it turn out the people in charge have to take some responsibility?

Yeah, but it wasn't a real Labour party. 

That's my favourite excuse. 

Archived