The Politics Thread 2020

36 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Definitely not in a minority of one a discussion at work on Friday most thought it was some sort of attempt at wry humour. But i agree that was probably worse than him just believing it. I only think the man is dangerous because he isn't competent but then that goes for a lot of politicians. Although sometimes this threads' discussions makes me it may be just the motley interaction of the populus. Not a -ve by the way in my eyes. Also you just have to listen what the media have come out with in the last few weeks to see the results and reactions of this.

I reckon he is far worse than any politician in this country regardless of party. 

I think he is dangerous not only because he is incompetent but also because he doesn’t seem to care and has an even greater agenda of self promotion than even the worst in this country. 

Sorry, having a bit of trouble deciphering some of your thread.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the introduction of a question from the general public. The government's daily coronavirus briefing is starting to feel even more like a PR event for the government. It's now no longer just a briefing to pass on information to the public.

4 hours ago, 1of4 said:

With the introduction of a question from the general public. The government's daily coronavirus briefing is starting to feel even more like a PR event for the government. It's now no longer just a briefing to pass on information to the public.

Don’t knock it it’s the only restbite from the 24 hour running on a loop Britain’s got talent show

4 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I'm surprised anyone still watches it, to be honest. I realised after about the first week that it's too long, too repetitive & too many daft questions. I get all my info from here or the first 5 mins of the 10pm news.

There does have to be an element of PR in there, though. They have to keep people on-side and adhering to the guidelines and people need to see that what they are doing (or not doing) is having an effect.

They should cut it down to 10-15 mins and I might watch it again.

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Have we hit that 100,000 tests a day yet?

This really grinds my gears  So what if they don’t reach it, they are trying their best to get there. What do you want of them, to do nothing? I am sure they are all sitting there chuffed to bits that they may not get there. Still better to try and fail than not try at all. 
They set an ambitious target, good on them.. If they get to 70,000 in extremely difficult circumstances, then so be it. We can try and reach the 100,000 sometime next month. Its like you people get some sort of satisfaction that they don’t reach it, well good for you. 
You can wait till Thursday to wallow in your smugness. 

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

This really grinds my gears  So what if they don’t reach it, they are trying their best to get there. What do you want of them, to do nothing? I am sure they are all sitting there chuffed to bits that they may not get there. Still better to try and fail than not try at all. 
They set an ambitious target, good on them.. If they get to 70,000 in extremely difficult circumstances, then so be it. We can try and reach the 100,000 sometime next month. Its like you people get some sort of satisfaction that they don’t reach it, well good for you. 
You can wait till Thursday to wallow in your smugness. 

For me the question is why are we not testing to our full capacity, and why are we not able to test the number of people we are aiming to?

I'd love a test. I was ill in December and I'm really wondering if I had the virus or not. The whole family were ill, some were coughing, we all had temperatures and were pretty out of it. I had muscle pains, all the symptoms of Covid but about 2 months before we were told there was any disease in the country. There's capacity for tests and there's unused tests every day (or there were before the opened up the tests this week) - why couldn't we test people?

9 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

For me the question is why are we not testing to our full capacity, and why are we not able to test the number of people we are aiming to?

I'd love a test. I was ill in December and I'm really wondering if I had the virus or not. The whole family were ill, some were coughing, we all had temperatures and were pretty out of it. I had muscle pains, all the symptoms of Covid but about 2 months before we were told there was any disease in the country. There's capacity for tests and there's unused tests every day (or there were before the opened up the tests this week) - why couldn't we test people?

https://self-referral.test-for-coronavirus.service.gov.uk/eligibility

If you qualify ,have a go at booking one ,missus is a carer and got one straight away .As per one of my previous post my neighbour is suspicious he may have had caught from a friend that went to China, his test was yesterday.

I agree if you seriously think you may have had it would be useful to know one way or another.

12 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

https://self-referral.test-for-coronavirus.service.gov.uk/eligibility

If you qualify ,have a go at booking one ,missus is a carer and got one straight away .As per one of my previous post my neighbour is suspicious he may have had caught from a friend that went to China, his test was yesterday.

I agree if you seriously think you may have had it would be useful to know one way or another.

According to that, though, there are strict restrictions as to who can have the test:

• you have coronavirus symptoms
  • you live with someone who has coronavirus symptoms

14 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

According to that, though, there are strict restrictions as to who can have the test:

• you have coronavirus symptoms
  • you live with someone who has coronavirus symptoms

If you qualify was the key sentence in my post, both my wife and neighbour are carers and both are eligible I know he had his yesterday .

47 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Isn’t it just tests to see if you have the virus now ,not the antibody one to test if you’ve already had it?

28 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

If you qualify was the key sentence in my post, both my wife and neighbour are carers and both are eligible I know he had his yesterday .

I qualify as a key worker (I think) but am not exhibiting symptoms, so wouldn't be eligible anyway.

35 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Yeah, sorry I wasn't having a dig. The point I was trying (badly) to make is that, with tests only available to "essential worker" families containing those who are showing symptoms, there's a limited pool of eligible people.

I'm not really surprised that they can't fill the capacity on that basis.

Apparently the Panorama episode last night didn’t paint a good picture of the reporting.

Not seen it, just heard the lads on about it this morning.

Reporting the amount of gloves purchased as single gloves not pairs, dropping the rating of the virus down so there response measures don’t look so bad?

I’ll watch it on iPlayer tonight I think. 

Archived