The Politics Thread 2020

20 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

On a more positive note I just saw a super interview with a Syrian refugee who has settled in London for 4 years and volunteered to clean and disinfect his local hospital. 

On channel 4 news.

"Our nationality doesn't define our kindness ". Great quote.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, rynny said:

That's the chap - also said something that sounded profound along the lines of "i identify with my community of East London and want to help"...which is why he refers to "my" hospital.

I thought it was very uplifting and a great example - in its own way. Capn Tom has also been a great example in a different way and his reminiscing of his mother being charged for him having a cut stitched up at his local doctors being the motivation behind his deep affection for a health service that's free for all was equally uplifting.

I have nothing much to offer apart from banging a few pots and pans together outside our front door on a thursday....

53 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If you said something discriminatory about that area based on the fact it had white people living there then it would be racism. I honestly cant believe you need that explaining to you.

No I do need it explaining> because I'm a thicko

So if someone read a new article on Facebook that said "BAME people seem to be disproportionately affected by this virus" and then they posted a comment on that news article that said "I reckon that people in Normanton aren't social distancing enough" - that would be racist,

Good to know

It'll be fine as long as no one regurgitates that rubbish here

9 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

No I do need it explaining> because I'm a thicko

So if someone read a new article on Facebook that said "BAME people seem to be disproportionately affected by this virus" and then they posted a comment on that news article that said "I reckon that people in Normanton aren't social distancing enough" - that would be racist,

Good to know

It'll be fine as long as no one regurgitates that rubbish here

But if they said “I drove through Normanton last night and not much social distancing was going on” it may be a bit different. If the person added “most of the people not obeying social distancing were Asian*” I still don’t think it’s racist. It’s making an observation on their experience.

According to Wikipedia, 67% are not white-British, compared with 25% for the whole of Derby.

*I’m half expecting a ‘how did you know they were Asian response’ ?

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

But if they said “I drove through Normanton last night and not much social distancing was going on” it may be a bit different. If the person added “most of the people not obeying social distancing were Asian*” I still don’t think it’s racist. It’s making an observation on their experience.

According to Wikipedia, 67% are not white-British, compared with 25% for the whole of Derby.

*I’m half expecting a ‘how did you know they were Asian response’ ?

Well there is one thing I am taking from that...Wikipedia is racist.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Figures are based off the 2011 census so you need to direct your accusations elsewhere. 

Or direct my sarcasm elsewhere ?

36 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Sometimes the stupidest stuff gets discussed here. All for the sake of trying to make someone else look morally inferior. ?

I know I'm probably the worst offender.

I shouldn't get reeled in so easily but I'm not prepared to have someone telling the forum they've 'called me out' on racism and not defend myself.

I'm surprised the mods let it stand.

If I've said something racist then I'm sure they will remove it, if not, then why let another poster get away with saying it?

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Doesnt really back up the point that was being made but go on.

In my experience it's hard to argue with much of what they say either.

Well I said Rabb and Patel said the British were idlers, you asked where they said that, and @SchtivePesley helpfully posted the link. I'm surprised you hadn't heard of their infamous Britain Unchained book. I'm not sure it advocated leaving the EU so all those hardworking foreigners would leave, forcing the idle British to work harder.

I'm surprised that you agree that the British are amongst the worst idlers in the world, but who am I to disagree with Priti Patel and her background in PR?

Interested that you seem overly keen on defending Johnson and the government's planning and response to Coronavirus, and so agree with them on the feckless, workshy British.

Using a @Norman style arguement, you are basically saying that working class people like @Norman are lazy feckers!

How the hell have we ended up with senior government officials who hold the British people in such contempt?

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Nice work, trying to claim what I said had anything to do with "working class people".

You seem to be suggesting that the letterbox comment was aimed at "working class people". I thought it was aimed at white racist people. Why do you think they are the same group?

Your posts give you away and what your opinions on white working class people are. Unfortunately for you, those same people are the backbone of the Labour Party.

10 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Well I said Rabb and Patel said the British were idlers, you asked where they said that, and @SchtivePesley helpfully posted the link. I'm surprised you hadn't heard of their infamous Britain Unchained book. I'm not sure it advocated leaving the EU so all those hardworking foreigners would leave, forcing the idle British to work harder.

I'm surprised that you agree that the British are amongst the worst idlers in the world, but who am I to disagree with Priti Patel and her background in PR?

Interested that you seem overly keen on defending Johnson and the government's planning and response to Coronavirus, and so agree with them on the feckless, workshy British.

Using a @Norman style arguement, you are basically saying that working class people like @Norman are lazy feckers!

How the hell have we ended up with senior government officials who hold the British people in such contempt?

I have no idea if where we rank against other countries but my general outlook is that we have a lot of workers who do the bare minimum in terms of work, just enough to get by.

In my experience, the foreign workers I have dealt with work much harder than their British counterparts. That doesnt equate to saying Britain is full of idle people though.

In terms of me defending the Governments response you are just reading what you want to read. I've said they have made mistakes but nothing glaring in comparison to many countries.

We are in the middle of a pandemic, the performance can only be analysed when it has passed.

30 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

An abysmal alternative I would suggest.

50 minutes ago, Norman said:

Your posts give you away and what your opinions on white working class people are. Unfortunately for you, those same people are the backbone of the Labour Party.

Unfortunately for those working class people, the Labour party couldn't care less about them.

36 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

An abysmal alternative I would suggest.

Possibly

53 minutes ago, Norman said:

So taking the last election, which of Labour's policies in particular showed their, in your eyes, incorrect opinions on the white working classes? And by contrast, where did the Tories win this debate? Was is Patel and Rabb saying that the British are amongst the worst idlers in the world?

Labour did a poor job on communicating their Brexit strategy, but the Leadership seemed committed to giving the idle British people a final vote, rather than a leave at all costs approach that was never on the table during the referendum. Surely the idle working classes had realised that Brexit might not be quite what it was cracked up to be?

Labour also made too many unfocused election pledges so their message became diluted. But I don't think they were born out of despising the idle classes.

Turns out that for 10 glorious years, the Tory party were busy not planning for a pandemic, which has left mostly working class people at the coalface without any protective equipment. Serves the idle feckers right I suppose.

Whilst you have invented opinions on the working class for me, you also seem to have invented opinions for Labour too.  They might have a number of faults, but to suggest their opinions of the working class are offensive is ridiculous, especially when the contempt the Tories have had for them are bordering on criminal.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I know I'm probably the worst offender.

I shouldn't get reeled in so easily but I'm not prepared to have someone telling the forum they've 'called me out' on racism and not defend myself.

I'm surprised the mods let it stand.

If I've said something racist then I'm sure they will remove it, if not, then why let another poster get away with saying it?

If a post breaks the rules, report it. Because I'm damned if I can see which one you mean. 

16 hours ago, GboroRam said:

If a post breaks the rules, report it. Because I'm damned if I can see which one you mean. 

There is no post that breaks the rules

I did not "call out" G Star for being racist. In the same way that it wasn't him saying that "the normanton road area of Derby" wasn't following the social distancing rules, and perhaps that's why BAME people are disproportionately affected by the virus

He was just reporting that he'd seen that (racist) thing said on Facebook. 

That doesn't make *him*  racist, and I never said that it did. 

Hope that's cleared that up for the free speech warriors who think I've somehow not been censored enough for simply disagreeing with the anecdotal evidence offered by another member

?

18 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

There is no post that breaks the rules

I did not "call out" G Star for being racist. In the same way that it wasn't him saying that "the normanton road area of Derby" wasn't following the social distancing rules, and perhaps that's why BAME people are disproportionately affected by the virus

He was just reporting that he'd seen that (racist) thing said on Facebook. 

That doesn't make *him*  racist, and I never said that it did. 

Hope that's cleared that up for the free speech warriors who think I've somehow not been censored enough for simply disagreeing with the anecdotal evidence offered by another member

?

I'm waiting for a post to be reported, if anyone feels sufficiently slighted. The whole mod team will review reports, in case anyone feels that reports are not taken seriously. 

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I'm waiting for a post to be reported, if anyone feels sufficiently slighted. The whole mod team will review reports, in case anyone feels that reports are not taken seriously. 

Any and all information supplied is good. We don’t want any Chinese walls being built. For Steve, I should add that any other Country’s walls are unacceptable too.

Archived