Time for Cocu to be brave

MackworthRamIsGod

I admire what Cocu is trying to do, he had a tried and trusted method at PSV and deservedly won many trophies.  He is clearly trying to replicate that here, the only problem is, at PSV he had much better players. Memphis Depay was coming through from the academy, for example.

This group of players at Derby clearly arent geared up to play defensive football, sitting back hoping to hit the opposition on the break. We have players like Waghorn and Marriott, both absolute beasts in front of goal when played correctly. Bogle at RB! Who on his day can boss the right hand side. Bielek also looks to me like he could be the George Thorne type player we have been lacking to connect an attacking midfield and attacking front 3.

It is time for Cocu to switch Bogle back to RB, stop playing 2 holding midfielders and start telling his players to take it to the opposition. I think it was a player for Charlton that said we were the easiest opposition that they had come up against and was surprised we literally offered nothing.

Our u18's and u23's continuously hammer teams by playing damn good football, that shouldn't stop at the first team.

We are trying to integrate youth into our team, but I honestly cant see how the likes of Sibley, Hector-Ingramn, JML can become a success with the way we are setting up.

So, very long story short, on Wednesday I would like him to go back to basics.  Bogle in his clearly preffered position, 1 defensive midfielder, Knight playing instead of Dowell and a front lineup that includes at least 2 of Waghorn/Martin/Marriott. If Whittaker isn't starting I want to see him getting at least 20 minutes to really show what he can do. Sibley needs to be on the bench, he can be a game changer. I would even give Hector-Ingram a call up to the bench as a reward for his fantastic form.

Ditch Paterson, ditch Dowell and ditch the negativity. Then in the summer, tell the recruitment team to take the summer off and sign the players you think will work in the style you are trying implement.

Simple really.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admire your optimism but it surely isnt this simple... I remember Lampard playing one holding midfielder away from home last season and we were crying out for two 

I think we’ve been unlucky this season and that will swing as ever and we’ll progress to our mean and possibly have a more exciting end to the season where we push for playoffs.. I’m not usually interested in attaching too many narratives to the randomness of football but we lost 30 goals in mount and Wilson and we have one fit 34 year old CB which may be affecting our form compared to last season 

I’d keep the faith with what he is doing and things might look very different if we have 6 more points next Sunday 

I'm very much in the Cocu in crowd and have tried to defend his selections. However, I wholeheartedly agree with you @MackworthRamIsGod. @angieram made a similar point - that it's fair enough experimenting this season, given the circumstances that Cocu has inherited - but why can't these experiments include more attacking options and make more use of the in-form youngsters.

COYR ?

When Cocu came in, and in recent interviews, we have been told that from the bottom up we will play a certain way. The formations, Philosophy and tactics will be the same all the way through the academy so that when a young player is ready/good enough he can slot straight into the first team.

Now, the under 18's are doing well with the philosophy/system/tactics

the 23's are doing well with the philosophy/system/tactics

The first team!!!...

For me this says a lot and now I think Cocu feel pressured into changing things just to try and get a result because he has realised that the current crop of 1st team players he has are not up to it, bar a few and imo Beilik, bogle and Lawrence. The rest have shown they cannot cut it and need to be replaced. This isn't going to happen over night and I think once he's had the jan window I think we'll see quite an improvement in the team.

8 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

When Cocu came in, and in recent interviews, we have been told that from the bottom up we will play a certain way. The formations, Philosophy and tactics will be the same all the way through the academy so that when a young player is ready/good enough he can slot straight into the first team.

Now, the under 18's are doing well with the philosophy/system/tactics

the 23's are doing well with the philosophy/system/tactics

The first team!!!...

Do you think the U18s and U23s play 'the Cocu Way' then?!

Simple until it doesn’t work and then the knives are out again. 

Big jump up from U23s to first team, it’s easier to do in a winning team, integrating them into the team with the negativity around the team at the moment is a big gamble. Don’t buy this ballocks about experimenting, may be a select few that accept that but the majority including Mel won’t.

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Do you think the U18s and U23s play 'the Cocu Way' then?!

I believe so, He and Mel have said it from day one that they want to play a certain way so that the youngsters will eventually be able to slot into the first team. I believe the u18 & u23 coaches have talked about this in interviews also.

7 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I believe so, He and Mel have said it from day one that they want to play a certain way so that the youngsters will eventually be able to slot into the first team. I believe the u18 & u23 coaches have talked about this in interviews also.

Having watched both I would never have guessed they play the same way as Cocu has the first team set up...

10 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I admire what Cocu is trying to do, he had a tried and trusted method at PSV and deservedly won many trophies.  He is clearly trying to replicate that here, the only problem is, at PSV he had much better players. Memphis Depay was coming through from the academy, for example.

This group of players at Derby clearly arent geared up to play defensive football, sitting back hoping to hit the opposition on the break. We have players like Waghorn and Marriott, both absolute beasts in front of goal when played correctly. Bogle at RB! Who on his day can boss the right hand side. Bielek also looks to me like he could be the George Thorne type player we have been lacking to connect an attacking midfield and attacking front 3.

It is time for Cocu to switch Bogle back to RB, stop playing 2 holding midfielders and start telling his players to take it to the opposition. I think it was a player for Charlton that said we were the easiest opposition that they had come up against and was surprised we literally offered nothing.

Our u18's and u23's continuously hammer teams by playing damn good football, that shouldn't stop at the first team.

We are trying to integrate youth into our team, but I honestly cant see how the likes of Sibley, Hector-Ingramn, JML can become a success with the way we are setting up.

So, very long story short, on Wednesday I would like him to go back to basics.  Bogle in his clearly preffered position, 1 defensive midfielder, Knight playing instead of Dowell and a front lineup that includes at least 2 of Waghorn/Martin/Marriott. If Whittaker isn't starting I want to see him getting at least 20 minutes to really show what he can do. Sibley needs to be on the bench, he can be a game changer. I would even give Hector-Ingram a call up to the bench as a reward for his fantastic form.

Ditch Paterson, ditch Dowell and ditch the negativity. Then in the summer, tell the recruitment team to take the summer off and sign the players you think will work in the style you are trying implement.

Simple really.

Are you saying that, when he's brought the sort of players in he wants, we should play defensive football and hoping to hit the opposition on the break? It may bring success but is it the type of football you want to watch?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Having watched both I would never have guessed they play the same way as Cocu has the first team set up...

As I said, I think he's realised that most of the 1st team cannot do it and has got to a stage now where he's trying different things just to get a result, especially away, although he cannot deviate too much from his philosophy and that's where i think most of the players suffer. Imo, I think we have to wait till he gets his own players in and then judge him. Like I said, it isn't going to happen overnight.

17 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

As I said, I think he's realised that most of the 1st team cannot do it and has got to a stage now where he's trying different things just to get a result, especially away, although he cannot deviate too much from his philosophy and that's where i think most of the players suffer. Imo, I think we have to wait till he gets his own players in and then judge him. Like I said, it isn't going to happen overnight.

Not convinced by what you're suggesting. Time will tell.

36 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Are you saying that, when he's brought the sort of players in he wants, we should play defensive football and hoping to hit the opposition on the break? It may bring success but is it the type of football you want to watch?

I would never promote not wish to watch defensive football, unfortunately that is what Mel has gone for so we have to hope we can make it work.

Only way that would be is if Cocu gets his own players.

45 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

The flaw in this argument is that he found how to get results, or at least performances from the team, but then slowly did a Tommy Docherty and took it apart until it no longer functioned. The inter-passing in the first half against Preston is what we have been crying out for, but within two games we are back to not being able to make more than one pass in a row.

Surely having found something that works we shouls stick with it and get some points in the bag,

18 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The flaw in this argument is that he found how to get results, or at least performances from the team, but then slowly did a Tommy Docherty and took it apart until it no longer functioned. The inter-passing in the first half against Preston is what we have been crying out for, but within two games we are back to not being able to make more than one pass in a row.

Surely having found something that works we shouls stick with it and get some points in the bag,

I'm not sure how he's took it apart tbh, he's not been able to pick a consistent side due to injuries and sackings. Picking 45 min of great football and sticking with it is easier said than done. If it was that easy management would be a doddle. Even man city cannot emulate great performances every game. It's the players who are inconsistent, one min (preston) they look good, then next they look average, the philosophy stays the same and imo most of the players we have are only capable of doing it every now and then. Wait till he can get his own players in, then judge him. I loved Lampard but if it wasn't for the 3 loans we would have been a million miles off the playoffs last season. Give him time and i'm sure he'll get it right.

2 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

I'm not sure how he's took it apart tbh, he's not been able to pick a consistent side due to injuries and sackings. Picking 45 min of great football and sticking with it is easier said than done. If it was that easy management would be a doddle. Even man city cannot emulate great performances every game. It's the players who are inconsistent, one min (preston) they look good, then next they look average, the philosophy stays the same and imo most of the players we have are only capable of doing it every now and then. Wait till he can get his own players in, then judge him. I loved Lampard but if it wasn't for the 3 loans we would have been a million miles off the playoffs last season. Give him time and i'm sure he'll get it right.

He made umpteen changes not necessitated by injury. The key to the improvement in the games leading up to and including Preston was Martin's ability to hold up the ball and help players like Lawrence to deliver. The last two performances have been dire - neither Marriott or Waghorn can do that job effectively

Archived