Car Insurance Claim

Ambitious

I was just wondering if someone on here could help me: My girlfriend was injured in a car accident last week, she got shook I quite badly as someone careened into the back of her at around 50mph. She knows her car is already written off, but she’s got bad back and neck pain. I took her to minor injury unit the day it happened and they wanted her to go to A&E for an XRay, but she gets anxiety about hospitals due to a few reasons and so she’s self medicating at the moment. 

I’m just worried that the other person’s insurance is going to rail road her and not give her a fair settlement. I just wondered if anyone else has gone through a similar thing before and what’s the best route for her to go down. I think legal aid would be the best method, but I really have no experience in this. 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I was just wondering if someone on here could help me: My girlfriend was injured in a car accident last week, she got shook I quite badly as someone careened into the back of her at around 50mph. She knows her car is already written off, but she’s got bad back and neck pain. I took her to minor injury unit the day it happened and they wanted her to go to A&E for an XRay, but she gets anxiety about hospitals due to a few reasons and so she’s self medicating at the moment. 

I’m just worried that the other person’s insurance is going to rail road her and not give her a fair settlement. I just wondered if anyone else has gone through a similar thing before and what’s the best route for her to go down. I think legal aid would be the best method, but I really have no experience in this. 

I don’t think legal aid is a thing now is it?

do you have legal cover on your/her insurance?

You’ll no doubt have had a call offering you a top of the range hire car from a third party company that her insurance will have sold her details onto.  They might take your legal side on for you.

22 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I don’t think legal aid is a thing now is it?

do you have legal cover on your/her insurance?

You’ll no doubt have had a call offering you a top of the range hire car from a third party company that her insurance will have sold her details onto.  They might take your legal side on for you.

Legal aid was just my terrible wording of saying, I think she would be better with a legal representation than just her sorting it with his insurance. I’ll have her look through her policy documents 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Legal aid was just my terrible wording of saying, I think she would be better with a legal representation than just her sorting it with his insurance. I’ll have her look through her policy documents 

Won’t her insurance be fighting it on her behalf?

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Her insurance will deal with everything.

Mine arranged for a doctor's assessment and physiotherapy afterwards. Once completed they set their stall out for how much compensation they believed was fair for me to receive. 

17 hours ago, Boycie said:

Won’t her insurance be fighting it on her behalf?

16 hours ago, rynny said:

Her insurance will deal with everything.

Mine arranged for a doctor's assessment and physiotherapy afterwards. Once completed they set their stall out for how much compensation they believed was fair for me to receive. 

No the insurers will not fight it on your behalf.

Your policies may have had some built in legal protection (uninsured loss recovery) that gave the appearance the insurer was dealing with, however in most cases this cover, while sold with insurance, is with a different provider.

Your insurance company will repair your car if you have comprehensive cover. They will only be interested in recovering insured losses off the third party, by that I mean the repair costs and any other costs they have paid out on.

Anything else such as your policy excess and a claim for injury is your responsibility to recover, although this is what Legal/Uninsured Loss Recovery is for.

More often than not you will have it, or be offered it after the event anyway.

To claim for injury you will usually at least need to have been seen my some medical professional.

3 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Hope she’s ok,don’t forget I was with

you and I can’t walk now?

Get her into your GP,they should give her pain relief and possibly refer for physio.

Log all visits,time off work,appointments etc.

Loss of earnings is quite a high percentage of most claims.

Hold on, just how bad is she?

You need to find a good claim handling firm.  If you are in the UK Irwin Mitchel is a good shout. The ones your insurance company will use are there to process it as quickly as possible.  Don't use any medical experts they recommend, get your own.  As already mentioned, keep detailed records of all trips to see medicals, ie the mileage, times, locations.  Money spent on medicines, treatment.  If you live in Derby there is a good physio in Mickleover, The Bridge Centre.

• 5 months later...

I couldn’t help but laugh this morning while reading the DET

Someone is claiming for a broken wheel in a pothole. Fair enough, there are a fair few but it’s is a fourth bridge job for any organisation to keep on top of. .. part of life I suppose. I’d be fuming too. 

But, the back story made me laugh .. this poor person  wants her car sorted, she has hospital appointments to keep, would have difficulty paying for the repairs herself as she is on benefits .... her car ? A Range Rover  Sport with 22” diameter alloys. 

2 hours ago, jono said:

Someone is claiming for a broken wheel in a pothole. Fair enough, there are a fair few but it’s is a fourth bridge job for any organisation to keep on top of. .. part of life I suppose. I’d be fuming too. 

But, the back story made me laugh .. this poor person  wants her car sorted, she has hospital appointments to keep, would have difficulty paying for the repairs herself as she is on benefits .... her car ? A Range Rover  Sport with 22” diameter alloys. 

Jeez, how big was the pothole?

4 hours ago, jono said:

Read the story and saw the picture, The alloy wheel was shattered, She must have been heavy footed for that to happen, It was outside the Stenson Bubble where the road narrows, The cynic in me says she hit the curb as there's only enough space for one vehicle to get through and not a pot hole.

4 hours ago, jono said:

Back in the early 80's, as the lord and master of a one parent family, I received milk tokens, and the kids went on to have free school dinners.  I skanked vouchers to spend at Johnsons Paints (£5 per room, downstairs only!), received the finest corduroy carpet available (valued at a whopping £3.99 per square yard... no underlay!), and even had my pick of the best non-flat-pack wardrobes that "The Social" hijacked from a truck on the Southbound carriageway of Raynesway, en route to the tip!  

... But not once did they mention I could claim for a bloody limo!   

Archived