Greta Thunberg & Extinction Rebellion

Rev

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Eh.. ??

I assumed that, by making a joke about putting crisps in the fridge, you had been reading the forum during your absence. Looking back now, it might have just been a joke playing on polar bears and low temperatures!

If you have no idea what I'm on about then it would take far too long to explain.

33 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I assumed that, by making a joke about putting crisps in the fridge, you had been reading the forum during your absence. Looking back now, it might have just been a joke playing on polar bears and low temperatures!

If you have no idea what I'm on about then it would take far too long to explain.

Oh.. Polar Bears are not crisps mate ? They are large white bears who live in cold environs. Pom Bears however are crisps and best enjoyed straight from the packet, accompanied by a cup of tea.

What do they teach kids nowadays? ?

Pom Bear.jpg

Polar.jpg

Now that Tommy Robinson has piped down a bit since he came out of the slammer,  I hope that our resident free speech warriors are up in arms about the police banning the peaceful Extinction Rebellion protesters from the whole of London.

I mean that's Police-state level stuff isn't it?

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Now that Tommy Robinson has piped down a bit since he came out of the slammer,  I hope that our resident free speech warriors are up in arms about the police banning the peaceful Extinction Rebellion protesters from the whole of London.

I mean that's Police-state level stuff isn't it?

They have a right to protest legally and to free speech.. What’s your point? They are just an embarrassment to their cause though. They do that more damage than good to their message. Most are just weird.

9 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

They have a right to protest legally and to free speech.. What’s your point? They are just an embarrassment to their cause though. They do that more damage than good to their message. Most are just weird.

I know you're saying that you agree they have the right to protest legally and to free speech - so we're on the same page in that respect

But being an embarassment, or (in your eyes) doing more damage than good to their message or being weird are not reasons to ban anyone from protesting. 

A lot of people on here were very passionate about the (literal) policing  of free speech events - so I was just waking them up in order to see how much solidarity they had. In your case the bare minimum it seems !

6 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I know you're saying that you agree they have the right to protest legally and to free speech - so we're on the same page in that respect

They have the right to free speech and to protest but they don't have the right to prevent other people from going about their daily lives.

As for your Tommy Robinson quip, its unsurprising he has gone quiet lately he has been deplatformed from everywhere as have many others for having 'wrong opinions' - I see sack Piers Morgan has been trending this week for his argument with the 100 genders activists, we won't be able to discuss anything soon.

6 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

But being an embarassment, or (in your eyes) doing more damage than good to their message or being weird are not reasons to ban anyone from protesting. 

A lot of people on here were very passionate about the (literal) policing  of free speech events - so I was just waking them up in order to see how much solidarity they had. In your case the bare minimum it seems !

Can you really tell me that you are not embarrassed watching the great unwashed prancing about? They are a laughing stock, even in London. Some genuine protesters but their cause is being hijacked by the wrong sort of activist.. Yes even these have a right to protest but how does that type of bollx help the climate change discussion? I never said they had no right to protest by the way, you are putting words in my mouth.

12 hours ago, maxjam said:

They have the right to free speech and to protest but they don't have the right to prevent other people from going about their daily lives.

Should I be surprised that your reaction to a blanket ban on peaceful protest from our capital city is far more subdued when you don’t have any sympathy for the cause being protested? Civil disobedience is an effective tool and has been for a very long time. If they cross a line with that and get arrested for an offence, then that's one thing - but to ban all protesters on the issue because they *might* commit a minor offence is not right is it?

Yet you immediately go into bat for Tommy Robinson and Piers Morgan? It’s hard to know what conclusions to draw here.

As for your Tommy Robinson quip, its unsurprising he has gone quiet lately he has been deplatformed from everywhere as have many others for having 'wrong opinions'

He's not been deplatformed from Telegram has he? He has a platform there, and is very well received by all accounts. The good thing about Telegram is that if you don't want to listen to fascists you can imply just not sign up to it

12 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

They've brought it all upon themselves.

They have wasted police time and stopped many people from going about their business.

When was the last time TR climbed on top of a plane?

A lot of people will agree with their case but @Angry Ram is correct that they have completely embarrassed themselves in the way the have gone about delivering their message and will have turned alot of people against them.

3 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Should I be surprised that your reaction to a blanket ban on peaceful protest from our capital city is far more subdued when you don’t have any sympathy for the cause being protested? Civil disobedience is an effective tool and has been for a very long time. If they cross a line with that and get arrested for an offence, then that's one thing - but to ban all protesters on the issue because they *might* commit a minor offence is not right is it?

Yet you immediately go into bat for Tommy Robinson and Piers Morgan? It’s hard to know what conclusions to draw here.

It's really not though, is it?

As for the character of the protestors, if people would rather debate that than the issue they are protesting, I'm afraid that also speaks volumes. All this tells me is that folk are so hideously entrenched in their alignments that they'd rather see the world burn than stand shoulder to shoulder with those they perceive as being of a different political leaning.

Some issues are bigger than such petty arguments but it seems only those prepared to 'embarrass' themselves are able to see this.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

When was the last time TR climbed on top of a plane?

True. Tommy is far too busy sucker-punching folk at football matches and shovelling yay up his schnoz to worry about climate control, that is when he's not serving time at her majesty's pleasure. 

24 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

And people have been getting arrested for it for a long time.  

Not sure where you draw the conclusion to my percieved reaction to a 'blanket ban on peaceful protest' thats literally the opposite to what I said;

27 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

You bought TRs silence up, I just made the point that when you silence people like him, the next in line are relatively normal but outspoken people like Piers Morgan.  If and when they eventually get him, what is considered free speech will shrink further.

28 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

He's not been deplatformed from Telegram has he? He has a platform there, and is very well received by all accounts. The good thing about Telegram is that if you don't want to listen to fascists you can imply just not sign up to it

I had to look Telegram up, dunno how popular it is but its not Facebook, Youtube, Twitter etc.  May as well give him a megaphone and drop him on the top of Everest ?

43 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

It's really not though, is it?

As for the character of the protestors, if people would rather debate that than the issue they are protesting, I'm afraid that also speaks volumes. All this tells me is that folk are so hideously entrenched in their alignments that they'd rather see the world burn than stand shoulder to shoulder with those they perceive as being of a different political leaning.

Some issues are bigger than such petty arguments but it seems only those prepared to 'embarrass' themselves are able to see this.

Who said that because their methods are being challenged some don't agree with the message? You really do make some poo up when you post.

The two are different things. Why not comment on some Muppet dressed as a bloody broccoli, or young girls running around Trafalgar Square screaming? Nobody has said that because of some weird broccoli dude, they now no longer believe in climate change. It's pretty hard to ignore some of their antics. Why can't you debate two things.. Do we need your permission? 

You are quick to judge others fella. Perhaps getting off your high horse and reading posts would be a start.

51 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I had to look Telegram up, dunno how popular it is but its not Facebook, Youtube, Twitter etc.  May as well give him a megaphone and drop him on the top of Everest ?

But it’s still a free, web-based tool with largely the same functionality as the more popular apps that you mention . I don’t buy the argument of him being “silenced”. He has platforms available to him, and if his message is a good one, then he will build an audience. If not then his bad ideas will wither and die (pretty sure you said that’s how it should work?).

3 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

But it’s still a free, web-based tool with largely the same functionality as the more popular apps that you mention . I don’t buy the argument of him being “silenced”. He has platforms available to him, and if his message is a good one, then he will build an audience. If not then his bad ideas will wither and die (pretty sure you said that’s how it should work?).

Spot on. It's as if there was never a movement or groundswell before social media came about! Those who fawn over Robinson will always find a means to connect with him and his collective but I'm pleased they can now do it without their nonsense being smeared all over my feeds.

Archived