Greta Thunberg & Extinction Rebellion

Rev

54 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I've worked in the renewable energy space for over a decade pal so I'm not blindly leaping on some bandwagon as per your trite little narrative, but if you want to ignore the vast weight of empirical evidence in favour of some puerile conspiracy theory, then perhaps you need to question your own powers of critical thinking which currently appear non-existent.

I work for a company that manufactures Plastic components for the Oil and Gas exploration industry, yet even I find her message and delivery compelling.

To be brutally honest, I don't particularly care what her backstory is, why she's taking the actions she is, or even if it's in her own long term interests, all battles have casualties, and maybe she'll be one, but all I see is an inspirational young woman delivering a message to the world's powers in their own arena.

At the same age, my world revolved around getting Raj's of Spondon to sell me cheap alcohol, and what girls pants I could get in next.

I hope she's more successful in her mission than I was!

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

At the same age, my world revolved around getting Raj's of Spondon to sell me cheap alcohol, and what girls pants I could get in next

Sorry mate, i know this is going to come across as harsh but at that age you were but a child and not capable of any form of decision making. Someone must have manipulated you into your underage drinking and wow how can you even have thought of having sex at 16, being such a child.

You must have had a relative pushing you into it subconsciously.

Soz, just telling you.

4 hours ago, Norman said:

People are going to turn on her.

I'd imagine 52% of people will turn on her. It's actually nice to get a break from the 52% of my Facebook friends sharing factually inaccurate brexit crap while they pick on Greta for a day or two. Stuff like this...

Screenshot_20190924-183456_Facebook.thumb.jpg.d13180bcbc06ef9faa7c364805846dac.jpg

Most of the individuals, and media organisations that are attacking Greta appear to be from the right. Could it be that money from the rich and powerful, be they individuals or multinational, is being used to influence and pay for these attacks

9 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Most of the individuals, and media organisations that are attacking Greta appear to be from the right. Could it be that money from the rich and powerful, be they individuals or multinational, is being used to influence and pay for these attacks

I find it very strange that people are looking for a conspiracy of rich green energy suppliers, and ignore the petrochemical companies who fund the 2% of scientific studies which find them not responsible for any of it. 

If you want to follow the money, look who stands to lose the most by stopping what we are doing right now. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I find it very strange that people are looking for a conspiracy of rich green energy suppliers, and ignore the petrochemical companies who fund the 2% of scientific studies which find them not responsible for any of it. 

If you want to follow the money, look who stands to lose the most by stopping what we are doing right now. 

The petrochemical companies will have no problem switching to green energy if the profit margin is there.

I think the problem is that the USA have not yet worked out how to control the price of wind and the sun like they do with oil.

She was a bit out with the statement that we are at the beginning of a mass extinction.

And i'm not sure what she was on about with the "people are dying" bit.

climate change should be / is about the destruction of habitat and loss of species, but too few people seem to be bothered about that.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Like the tobacco companies now trying their hardest to wipe out vaping.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

She was a bit out with the statement that we are at the beginning of a mass extinction.

climate change should be / is about the destruction of habitat and loss of species, but too few people seem to be bothered about that.

As typhoons and hurricanes intensify over the years, it is people living in coastal areas who will most certainly die. A Cat 5 typhoon striking Bangladesh invariably kills hundreds, if not thousands.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

This is the very thing people are protesting about. Not sure what else you think Greta is protesting about. Also one of those species that can be lost just happens to be us, the human race.

6 hours ago, 1of4 said:

one of those species that can be lost just happens to be us, the human race.

Highly unlikely.

But anyway my point was why should the argument be a selfish anthropocentric argument about human survival. 

Go to the Galerie d'evolution in Paris. Walk through the galleries of extinct creatures. The main exhibit is a huge procession of stuffed animals. Probably the only way that future generations will be able to see these animals is as a stuffed procession towards an imaginary ark. One of the most depressing places i've ever been to.

be bothered about that. 

image.thumb.jpeg.35288decd17e74cc21e18cf5b951f6f5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.da4f98ca71a42dc9b9acec4d733275b2.jpeg

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Highly unlikely.

But anyway my point was why should the argument be a selfish anthropocentric argument about human survival. 

Go to the Galerie d'evolution in Paris. Walk through the galleries of extinct creatures. The main exhibit is a huge procession of stuffed animals. Probably the only way that future generations will be able to see these animals is as a stuffed procession towards an imaginary ark. One of the most depressing places i've ever been to.

be bothered about that. 

All very noble sentiments, but I think there's a better chance of capturing the general public's attention by focusing on the potential impact on humans than on some animals that live thousands of miles away. Not saying people are shallow, but people are shallow.

51 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Highly unlikely.

be bothered about that. 

so they killed and stuffed some animals to highlight the danger of extinction?? Hmmmm.

31 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

All very noble sentiments, but I think there's a better chance of capturing the general public's attention by focusing on the potential impact on humans than on some animals that live thousands of miles away. Not saying people are shallow, but people are shallow.

Maybe its that very same selfishness which is root cause of the problem

The world is badly polluted, the entire ecosystem is at great risk of collapsing.  The greed diseased are destroying the planet for financial gain which in the end buys them nothing.  This has been warned about for a very long time and i find it mind boggling that those who are in denial point to it having been warned about for a very long time as a clear indication that it isn't happening.  People will apparently argue about this issue for some time to come. Countries will not unite under a single cause until everyone can acutely feel the pain and we may not have that much time to react as one planet.

Questions.  What price are you willing to pay to turn this thing around?  Would you agree to a one world government?  No more countries, just districts?  Even if it means major decisions being taken without you being asked an opinion on them?  The end of democracy?  The end of the money system, a resource based global society?

i believe this is what may be coming and even as i ask them i am not sure how i feel about those questions, because as i admit this is probably the only way i also know that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

2 hours ago, ramit said:

The world is badly polluted, the entire ecosystem is at great risk of collapsing.  The greed diseased are destroying the planet for financial gain which in the end buys them nothing.  This has been warned about for a very long time and i find it mind boggling that those who are in denial point to it having been warned about for a very long time as a clear indication that it isn't happening.  People will apparently argue about this issue for some time to come. Countries will not unite under a single cause until everyone can acutely feel the pain and we may not have that much time to react as one planet.

Questions.  What price are you willing to pay to turn this thing around?  Would you agree to a one world government?  No more countries, just districts?  Even if it means major decisions being taken without you being asked an opinion on them?  The end of democracy?  The end of the money system, a resource based global society?

i believe this is what may be coming and even as i ask them i am not sure how i feel about those questions, because as i admit this is probably the only way i also know that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I'm not sure where you read that in this thread... I've seen one person refer to it being "warned about for a very long time", but he was pointing out Greta's "Irreversible damage in 11 years" as being very unlikely. He wasn't rubbishing climate change, but questioning her point of no return.

Archived