Greta Thunberg & Extinction Rebellion

Rev

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

A lot of people are saying that she's an indoctrinated puppet, but I'm not sure that's correct. Her Wikipedia page (I know) says the following:

'Thunberg said she first got the idea of a climate strike after school shootings in the United States in February 2018 led to several youths refusing to go back to school. ... For about two years, Thunberg challenged her parents to lower the family's carbon footprint by becoming vegan and giving up flying, which in part meant her mother had to give up her international career as an opera singer. Thunberg credits her parents' eventual response and lifestyle changes with giving her hope and belief that she could make a difference.'

This suggests that she began her activism off her own back and was/is stronger in her beliefs than her parents. Whether or not this initial self-drive has been taken over by larger forces, I don't know. If it has been, and if she hasn't had much say in what she's been doing recently, I agree with you.

She is stronger in her beliefs because she has aspergers. She also has autism and obssessive compulsive disorder. It's not really a suprise.

Her Mum tipped off the local media to start all this and her mum's friend made a film. He is also a green activist and very rich.

Her Mum and him were said to have met at a climate meeting before anyone knew of Greta. Her mum was also part of a flight shaming movement before all of this.

3 minutes ago, Norman said:

She is stronger in her beliefs because she has aspergers. She also has autism and obssessive compulsive disorder. It's not really a suprise.

Her Mum tipped off the local media to start all this and her mum's friend made a film. He is also a green activist and very rich.

Her Mum and him were said to have met at a climate meeting before anyone knew of Greta. Her mum was also part of a flight shaming movement before all of this.

At what age would this all be acceptable though? 18?

28 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

At what age would this all be acceptable though? 18?

Don't know to be honest. 

But she will believe she is about to change the world and all the people currently around her will be using her as well as letting her believe it will happen.

And it isn't going to happen. Which is not good for someone with aspergers, autism, obsessive compulsive disprder and selected mutist who has had depression.

Good message, but it won't end well for her.

I'm all in favour of 'flight shaming', especially with respect to short flights.

Using the Eurostar to get to Amsterdam, Paris or Brussels from London is responsible for releasing around one tenth of the Carbon Dioxide in comparison to flying the same route.

11 minutes ago, Norman said:

Don't know to be honest. 

But she will believe she is about to change the world and all the people currently around her will be using her as well as letting her believe it will happen.

And it isn't going to happen. Which is not good for someone with aspergers, autism, obsessive compulsive disprder and selected mutist who has had depression.

Good message, but it won't end well for her.

I think the fact that without radical action it won't end well for any of us is precisely the point she is trying to highlight.

She seems self motivated to me.  If she is being pushed from people behind the scenes, beyond what she herself is comfortable with, then of course that is wrong and regrettable.

But surely it's her message that we should be all discussing, not her personal circumstances or motivations, which none of us can even remotely be sure of.  Why are people digressing?

4 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I think the fact that without radical action it won't end well for any of us is precisely the point she is trying to highlight.

She seems self motivated to me.  If she is being pushed from people behind the scenes, beyond what she herself is comfortable with, then of course that is wrong and regrettable.

But surely it's her message that we should be all discussing, not her personal circumstances or motivations, which none of us can even remotely be sure of.  Why are people digressing?

She is now suing 5 countries under a law about violating a Child's Rights.

People are going to turn on her. She is being used and manipulated. 

The people backing her who remain nameless must be rich.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the message. Some think the tipping point is further away that we are being told. That's about it.

1 minute ago, Norman said:

She is now suing 5 countries under a law about violating a Child's Rights.

People are going to turn on her. She is being used and manipulated. 

The people backing her who remain nameless must be rich.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the message. Some think the tipping point is further away that we are being told. That's about it.

Unfortunately lots of people disagree, and nearly every government, most notably the US and China are still ignoring the message to the best of their ability. Trump doesn't even seem to understand the message let alone agree with it. That's the story here, not Greta.

8 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Unfortunately lots of people disagree, and nearly every government, most notably the US and China are still ignoring the message to the best of their ability. Trump doesn't even seem to understand the message let alone agree with it. That's the story here, not Greta.

We are talking about people digressing on this forum, no? Nobody on these pages has said anything other than they thjnk the tipping point is further away. Therefore, everyone agrees with the core message.

We all know about China etc.

The title of the thread is Greta Thunberg. So I would like to post about who is manipulating her, who is giving her free accommodation, travel, lawsuits etc.

Suppose it will involve an organisation with something to do with green energy. That's probably a story worth looking at. It's always about money.

Suppose they will remain nameless. 

7 minutes ago, Norman said:

We are talking about people digressing on this forum, no? Nobody on these pages has said anything other than they thjnk the tipping point is further away. Therefore, everyone agrees with the core message.

We all know about China etc.

The title of the thread is Greta Thunberg. So I would like to post about who is manipulating her, who is giving her free accommodation, travel, lawsuits etc.

Suppose it will involve an organisation with something to do with green energy. That's probably a story worth looking at. It's always about money.

Suppose they will remain nameless. 

Ok, well you see a thread about Greta Thunberg and you think we should be discussing her, her mental state, her family and background. Fair enough i suppose ,that's one interpretation. 

I see a thread about her differently, I'd rather discuss her message, the reason why she is in the news and why on Earth have things become so desperate that a 16 year Swedish girl has to try an inspire our world leaders into action.  Actions which should be their responsibility. To be honest, I think that's where the OP was going. 

18 minutes ago, Norman said:

Strange you are incapable of giving any credence at all to the idea that the motivation behind her support might be the survival of the human race with you preferring instead to assume that the driver is nothing more than commercial gain. 

8 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Ok, well you see a thread about Greta Thunberg and you think we should be discussing her, her mental state, her family and background. Fair enough i suppose ,that's one interpretation. 

I see a thread about her differently, I'd rather discuss her message, the reason why she is in the news and why on Earth have things become so desperate that a 16 year Swedish girl has to try an inspire our world leaders into action.  Actions which should be their responsibility. To be honest, I think that's where the OP was going. 

Her arguments are nothing new, climate change has been discussed for decades.

What is new is that she's been thrust into the limelight by someone for some reason.

Do you not want to know by who and what their motivation is?

8 minutes ago, Hinzy9 said:

Her arguments are nothing new, climate change has been discussed for decades.

What is new is that she's been thrust into the limelight by someone for some reason.

Do you not want to know by who and what their motivation is?

I think most folk are more concerned by the message than the messenger. Lobbying vs mass extinction. Hmm, let me see...

15 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I think most folk are more concerned by the message than the messenger. Lobbying vs mass extinction. Hmm, let me see...

You're happy to blindly follow the agenda of some faceless person or organisation that's willing to exploit a child? Suit yourself!

Some critical thinking wouldnt go a miss around here.

34 minutes ago, Hinzy9 said:

You're happy to blindly follow the agenda of some faceless person or organisation that's willing to exploit a child? Suit yourself!

I've worked in the renewable energy space for over a decade pal so I'm not blindly leaping on some bandwagon as per your trite little narrative, but if you want to ignore the vast weight of empirical evidence in favour of some puerile conspiracy theory, then perhaps you need to question your own powers of critical thinking which currently appear non-existent.

45 minutes ago, Hinzy9 said:

If the Nayirah al Sabah scandal taught us anything, it’s to be weary about blindly following what young people and children say, because there could be a hidden agendas by people in the background influencing them so you’re right to point out the critical thinking aspect. The thing with children at the heart of something, is that it makes people more emotional and more likely to blindly follow something. People on here may be right, it may just be a perfectly innocent girl who wants to help the world but then at the back of my head I keep thinking, why her and what makes her so special in contrast to other children who are doing the exact same thing? Why aren’t they given the same limelight as her? She’s come out of absolutely nowhere, with many celebrities and big hitters like George Soros(who doesn’t do anything without it benefitting him) all backing her. If these guys couldn’t give a poo about the climate before and I’m sceptical they do now, so why are they backing a young girl who has come out of nowhere? Family connections? It just doesn’t make sense to me. I really want to believe that this is all genuine, but something is telling me no . 

I personally think she has done more to get people talking about climate change than anyone has in a long time.

I think a debate on it is good,  no issue if people think its not as bad as said etc. However i stand by my comments that it is wrong to dismiss this girls comments because she is a young adult,  not a child,  and she has mental health problems. No one has furnished proof to say she is being manipulated,  those that are saying it are claiming their own assumption as fact.

1 hour ago, Hinzy9 said:

Yeah not dismissing someone because of their age and / or medical history.

Archived