Birmingham City (H) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

It might be coincidence, but I thought the way Roos dealt with the high balls after the penalty save was night and day compared to before. To be fair I also think he was being fouled for a lot of the ones he was flapping at

Yes he was much better after - controlled area and lots of clean catches but perhaps I think that as was further away from me than first half and so relieved every time he did!

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Maybe we should pair up, next time!  

*Oh... just for the record... I didn't say I was any good at it!  It's the taking part that counts!  ?

My at the game dancing has been commented on by Sky TV - not necessarily in a good way! ?

What a mad, ridiculous match to be involved in! And perhaps for the first time, I can't single anyone out for having a poor game, and although Josefzoon only appeared to be on the pitch in dribs and drabs, he did do some good things. A great attitude, good pressing and harassing of the ball, especially for the first  60 minutes or so, and energy levels were good, apart from Holmes who, like Gemmill in the past spent his time running flat out all over the pitch.

His opportunism got us the first goal, with Martin scuffing his shot, but it dribbled past Camp who was expecting Martin to shoot across the goal like he is supposed to and was therefore on the wrong foot. It made him look even more stupid than that ridiculous hairdo. I mean, it wasn't even a man-bun!

Roos has had some stick for flapping at high crosses (what else were we going to get from Birmingham? It is almost as though Colin is managing them by proxy). However midway through the first half he caught a fairly simple lob into the box and got a huge cheer from the South Standers, and seemed to make an effort to catch the ball from then onwards. However, all the way through the match he was being barged into at set pieces by their No 24, so much so that Simon Hooper kept stopping the dead ball from being taken to have  words with him, but didn't actually do anything about it. More on that later, but despite the valiant effort of Max Lowe as sentry, Roos was given a tough time for the crosses, and maybe at times punching the ball away was the safest option. He still punches the ball far too often. In addition our penchant for playing the ball out from the back, although a commendable objective, isn't the wisest of actions when our defence only had one ball-player, who kept giving the ball away. But it simply wouldn't work at all without Roos, because first and foremost he is a footballer and is very accomplished with the ball at his feet. Contrast that with Carson's footballing skills, for example, which always cause problems, and often put the opposition on the front foot courtesy of a throw in.

The ref, Simon Hooper was poor yesterday, which is actually a surprisingly high standard for a Derby County match! Failing to stop the blatant barging and pushing of Derby players, or their diving, especially in the penalty area gave Birmingham a carte blanche to carry on, just as happened against Cardiff, indeed against virtually any team that turns up  with a squad of all-in wrestlers. And has often happens Derby seemed to get more yellow cards. The two forwards in particular should have been carded for going down as if their leg had been sawn off, waving to the trainer, but getting up and not even limping as soon as the counter attack had been stopped. One of them was booked for a cynical foul to stop yet another attack from forming, as were Holmes and Malone for the same offence. Which means there should have been a number of Birmingham yellows because they were doing that all game long. And what about the clear fouls on Waghorn and Huddlestone in the build up to the Brum goals, or the blatant shirt pull on Martin. He did play the advantage, but the attack almost immediately broke down, so there should have been a free kick and a yellow card. No. Nothing. Which said to the Blues, carry on, you'll get away with it because I'm going to do naff all about it. The EFL keep bleating on about players showing respect to the  match officials, but respect is earned, not given away.

Back to the footy: for the second home match in a row we have come up against a bunch a gorillas, and whereas in the past we were easily knocked out of our stride, now we simply go about our matchplay regardless. That is one heck of a development forwards.

Of particular mention has to be the impact of Chris Martin. Many people have written him off, saying that his time at Derby saw a regular falling off in performance. In reality he was sent out on loan by Pearson, if I recall, and even when Stevie Mac  brought him  back, there was a falling out because Mac started to play him out of position, which is rather an odd thing to do. As such he was less than effective, being out of position and having his head played with. Rowett also failed to appreciate what he had got and only seemed to play him once the game had already gone from us. So yet again, Martin couldn't actually do much about the result. He has also had some health issues which have held him back. So at last he has come back and is being played in his proper position. And guess what? .................. it works!

Then came the substitution. While everyone was expecting Josefzoon to go off, it is Martin who gets to put his feet up. I was really angry. We were all dying to see the Martin/Marriott partnership given a chance. We had thrown away a two goal lead, and now the player who had held all our forward play together was going off, and it seemed that Marriott would be chasing after long, high balls flying miles above his head. It was the most stupid substitution I had seen for ages. And then we scored our 3rd goal! What a roller-coaster! We started to be second to the ball for the rest of the match, but tiredness was probably the cause. Holmes was out on his feet, and ended up beckoning to the bench to be substituted, and was eventually replaced by Knight, something which should have happened 15 or 20 minutes earlier.

Still, we saw the game out, and got a much deserved victory. Some people think a draw would have been a fair result. But in reality for much of the game Derby looked the most threatening. As I  said earlier, there wasn't a bad performance out there, and I have to wonder if that is because the entire team was "dry" as a result of the weeks shenanigans.

No matter. We won, and who knows this weeks embarrassing events may have triggered the start to our season.

COME ON YOU RAMS!

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

What a mad, ridiculous match to be involved in! And perhaps for the first time, I can't single anyone out for having a poor game, and although Josefzoon only appeared to be on the pitch in dribs and drabs, he did do some good things. A great attitude, good pressing and harassing of the ball, especially for the first  60 minutes or so, and energy levels were good, apart from Holmes who, like Gemmill in the past spent his time running flat out all over the pitch.

His opportunism got us the first goal, with Martin scuffing his shot, but it dribbled past Camp who was expecting Martin to shoot across the goal like he is supposed to and was therefore on the wrong foot. It made him look even more stupid than that ridiculous hairdo. I mean, it wasn't even a man-bun!

Roos has had some stick for flapping at high crosses (what else were we going to get from Birmingham? It is almost as though Colin is managing them by proxy). However midway through the first half he caught a fairly simple lob into the box and got a huge cheer from the South Standers, and seemed to make an effort to catch the ball from then onwards. However, all the way through the match he was being barged into at set pieces by their No 24, so much so that Simon Hooper kept stopping the dead ball from being taken to have  words with him, but didn't actually do anything about it. More on that later, but despite the valiant effort of Max Lowe as sentry, Roos was given a tough time for the crosses, and maybe at times punching the ball away was the safest option. He still punches the ball far too often. In addition our penchant for playing the ball out from the back, although a commendable objective, isn't the wisest of actions when our defence only had one ball-player, who kept giving the ball away. But it simply wouldn't work at all without Roos, because first and foremost he is a footballer and is very accomplished with the ball at his feet. Contrast that with Carson's footballing skills, for example, which always cause problems, and often put the opposition on the front foot courtesy of a throw in.

The ref, Simon Hooper was poor yesterday, which is actually a surprisingly high standard for a Derby County match! Failing to stop the blatant barging and pushing of Derby players, or their diving, especially in the penalty area gave Birmingham a carte blanche to carry on, just as happened against Cardiff, indeed against virtually any team that turns up  with a squad of all-in wrestlers. And has often happens Derby seemed to get more yellow cards. The two forwards in particular should have been carded for going down as if their leg had been sawn off, waving to the trainer, but getting up and not even limping as soon as the counter attack had been stopped. One of them was booked for a cynical foul to stop yet another attack from forming, as were Holmes and Malone for the same offence. Which means there should have been a number of Birmingham yellows because they were doing that all game long. And what about the clear fouls on Waghorn and Huddlestone in the build up to the Brum goals, or the blatant shirt pull on Martin. He did play the advantage, but the attack almost immediately broke down, so there should have been a free kick and a yellow card. No. Nothing. Which said to the Blues, carry on, you'll get away with it because I'm going to do naff all about it. The EFL keep bleating on about players showing respect to the  match officials, but respect is earned, not given away.

Back to the footy: for the second home match in a row we have come up against a bunch a gorillas, and whereas in the past we were easily knocked out of our stride, now we simply go about our matchplay regardless. That is one heck of a development forwards.

Of particular mention has to be the impact of Chris Martin. Many people have written him off, saying that his time at Derby saw a regular falling off in performance. In reality he was sent out on loan by Pearson, if I recall, and even when Stevie Mac  brought him  back, there was a falling out because Mac started to play him out of position, which is rather an odd thing to do. As such he was less than effective, being out of position and having his head played with. Rowett also failed to appreciate what he had got and only seemed to play him once the game had already gone from us. So yet again, Martin couldn't actually do much about the result. He has also had some health issues which have held him back. So at last he has come back and is being played in his proper position. And guess what? .................. it works!

Then came the substitution. While everyone was expecting Josefzoon to go off, it is Martin who gets to put his feet up. I was really angry. We were all dying to see the Martin/Marriott partnership given a chance. We had thrown away a two goal lead, and now the player who had held all our forward play together was going off, and it seemed that Marriott would be chasing after long, high balls flying miles above his head. It was the most stupid substitution I had seen for ages. And then we scored our 3rd goal! What a roller-coaster! We started to be second to the ball for the rest of the match, but tiredness was probably the cause. Holmes was out on his feet, and ended up beckoning to the bench to be substituted, and was eventually replaced by Knight, something which should have happened 15 or 20 minutes earlier.

Still, we saw the game out, and got a much deserved victory. Some people think a draw would have been a fair result. But in reality for much of the game Derby looked the most threatening. As I  said earlier, there wasn't a bad performance out there, and I have to wonder if that is because the entire team was "dry" as a result of the weeks shenanigans.

No matter. We won, and who knows this weeks embarrassing events may have triggered the start to our season.

COME ON YOU RAMS!

Good post but just to correct you,Martin never played for Mac again...by the time he was released from Fulham Mac has been sacked again.

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Ha Ha!  Fantastic!  I sincerely hope you have a record of that somewhere.  Good or bad, it's still a "moment"!  ?

I certainly have! Recorded by the landlord at my local complete with laughter soundtrack from the regulars. Good job I don't take myself too seriously. 

44 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Good post but just to correct you,Martin never played for Mac again...by the time he was released from Fulham Mac has been sacked again.

say he needs his eyes testing if he says the ref was poor..... earn respect..... just shows how bias he is towards any official. Clown like every time he calls a referee. 

38 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

My bad. I know that one of our managers kept playing him out of position, and only letting him have impossible 20 minute cameos, but I can't remember which one. Well, I am 62!

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

COME ON YOU RAMS!

Couple of things Martin was always going to go off around 70 minutes he is not ready for ninety minutes yet at first team level.

Secondly Simon Hooper had a good game, his bookings were justified and if you are going to book every player who goes down injured then jumps up and plays on then you would soon be abandoning the game for lack of players on the pitch.

I see Birmingham fans have been bleating about the penalty. Bielik should have gone for the pen. Second yellow. Apparently Roos was at least a yard off his line... Well, Bielik did get the ball, but took the player too, so a questionable yellow. 

In fact Roos’ back foot was marginally in front of the line. And Waghorn was encroaching. 

Not that I’m complaining. We haven’t had the rub of the green. What with Swansea getting a penalty where there was no contact and refs putting defensive walls seven yards back.

9E9364F0-6664-401A-8A92-BF43BECFE4D1.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Rambam said:

I see Birmingham fans have been bleating about the penalty. Bielik should have gone for the pen. Second yellow. Apparently Roos was at least a yard off his line... Well, Bielik did get the ball, but took the player too, so a questionable yellow. 

In fact Roos’ back foot was marginally in front of the line. And Waghorn was encroaching. 

Not that I’m complaining. We haven’t had the rub of the green. What with Swansea getting a penalty where there was no contact and refs putting defensive walls seven yards back.

9E9364F0-6664-401A-8A92-BF43BECFE4D1.jpeg

Maybe Waghorn did just encroach, but look at the blues player to his right. He has run through the 'D' to get where he is, he's no more than 4 or 5 yards away from the taker. 

1 hour ago, Rambam said:

Correct. 

Well their No 14, perhaps I should find out his name, but he was such a cheat he isn't worth it, should have been gone for two yellows. He did two dives, one in the area, and went down feigning injury I think it was three times. The ref came across to him twice, and stood over his "pain-wracked body" but giving him nothing, instead waiting till he got up. He was eventually booked for a cynical "professional" foul to stop a Derby break, which should by then have been a second yellow. And if your game depends on brute force and ignorance, like barging players out of the way (not just a subtle shove, it was making the Derby player move violently out of position), then shame on you. You deserve what you got. 

17 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Well their No 14, perhaps I should find out his name, but he was such a cheat he isn't worth it, should have been gone for two yellows. He did two dives, one in the area, and went down feigning injury I think it was three times. The ref came across to him twice, and stood over his "pain-wracked body" but giving him nothing, instead waiting till he got up. He was eventually booked for a cynical "professional" foul to stop a Derby break, which should by then have been a second yellow. And if your game depends on brute force and ignorance, like barging players out of the way (not just a subtle shove, it was making the Derby player move violently out of position), then shame on you. You deserve what you got. 

Oops! I thought I had quoted the picture of the penalty, but must have clicked on Rambam's comment. Must be still suffering from 62itis.

Archived