The Politics Thread 2019

Day

Just now, Bwash_Ram said:

Trump reduced corporation tax and income tax and their economy is booming,

record number of jobs with wages rising.

Lowest unemployment levels among minorities in American history.

Are you sure the latter two statements are related to the first? 

Wasn't the economy doing very well before his tax cuts, in fact even before his election in 2016? 

What about Trump being responsible for the largest increase in the budgetary deficit outside of a recession, isn't that partially the result of the tax cuts too? 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Bwash_Ram said:

Trump reduced corporation tax and income tax and their economy is booming,

record number of jobs with wages rising.

Lowest unemployment levels among minorities in American history.

He also probably averted ww3 by keeping Kim Jong-Un off the button.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

We would leave the single market and customs union, bring an end to freedom of movement, and cease to be overseen by the ECJ.

You don't want the promise of great easy and quick trade deals then?

Best if we don't go down the big red bus route again.

Just now, TimRam said:

He also probably averted ww3 by keeping Kim Jong-Un off the button.

I don't think that's a realistic assessment of the threat posed by N.Korea.  They were never likely to launch an attack on other countries with their nuclear weapons, they wanted to possess them in order to deter attacks from other states. 

Having said that, I think Trump was right to try talking to Kim Jong Un and ignore previous US policy in the region, although the name-calling tirade on twitter that preceded the talks was just madness.   N.Korea have their bomb now,  it hasn't brought them the respect and admiration that they thought it might,  but it seems we just have to get used to them being another nuclear armed state. 

5 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I don't think that's a realistic assessment of the threat posed by N.Korea.  They were never likely to launch an attack on other countries with their nuclear weapons, they wanted to possess them in order to deter attacks from other states. 

Having said that, I think Trump was right to try talking to Kim Jong Un and ignore previous US policy in the region, although the name-calling tirade on twitter that preceded the talks was just madness.   N.Korea have their bomb now,  it hasn't brought them the respect and admiration that they thought it might,  but it seems we just have to get used to them being another nuclear armed state. 

The rhetoric will definitely have changed now.

Trump had us on the brink of WWIII when things were looking bad but as soon as relations improved all the doom mongers went quiet.

34 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

You don't want the promise of great easy and quick trade deals then?

Best if we don't go down the big red bus route again.

Seeing as though any Withdrawal Agreement had a 2 year trade negotiation period, I think it is you who didn't know what they were voting for, and still don't. 

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Trump had us on the brink of WWIII when things were looking bad but as soon as relations improved all the doom mongers went quiet.

Trump was a war-mongering president, as well. Couldn't wait for a war, apparently.....

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

It was hard not to think of war when the abuse was flying back and forth between Trump and Kim Jong Un (although any war would surely have been over pretty quickly as far as N.Korea was concerned). All that talk has died down now thankfully. But any such conflict would have been Trump's own twitter induced war. 

The point was that Trump's handling of N.Korea has prevented WWIII from occurring?  How can that conclusion be reached sensibly?

18 minutes ago, Highgate said:

It was hard not to think of war when the abuse was flying back and forth between Trump and Kim Jong Un (although any war would surely have been over pretty quickly as far as N.Korea was concerned). All that talk has died down now thankfully. But any such conflict would have been Trump's own twitter induced war. 

The point was that Trump's handling of N.Korea has prevented WWIII from occurring?  How can that conclusion be reached sensibly?

It cant, just as it cant that Trump was going to start WWIII on Twitter.

19 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Yep, lots of politicians saying how easy the trade deal should be.

Any links to PROMISES  that we would get an easy trade deal?

I'll give you a clue, dont waste your time looking for any.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

It cant, just as it cant that Trump was going to start WWIII on Twitter.

It wouldn't really be WWIII If it were just USA vs N.Korea would it?  S.Korea would be hit obviously, but unless China got involved then USA vs N.Korea was never going to be a World War as such. 

Given that Trump and Kim Jong Un were publicly insulting one another and threatening each other's countries with unprecedented violence and considering the two ludicrous egotistical and narcissistic personalities involved, I think there was every justification in fearing that war could have broken out between the US and N.Korea at the time.  Thankfully it didn't.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yep, lots of politicians saying how easy the trade deal should be.

Any links to PROMISES  that we would get an easy trade deal?

I'll give you a clue, dont waste your time looking for any.

Are you now genuinely saying that we weren't led to believe that this wasn't what we would get? That all the talk of easy deals, more cash to the NHS wasn't a promise so can't be held to account after the fact?

Yet strangely enough Project Fear was obviously an attempt to block Brexit. I don't recall being promised that there would be an emergency budget, so therefore it can't be used against the remain faction. There was a prediction of a downturn, but nobody used the word promise, and no politician pinky swore that it would be like that. 

You know you're talking rubbish. The leave factions told everyone there'd be more money, and we could give it to the NHS. They promised easy trade deals that would mean we would be better off. We were told Germany wouldn't allow us to leave without a deal.

Now we're told that we all voted for no deal all along, that nobody said there was more money to spend on the NHS (or anything else for that matter). 

You know, I will say Remain took advantage. That they expected a downturn but the BoE worked hard to prevent it. That money was spent giving every household a flyer promoting remain, but it is the government's duty to come up with a policy and to promote their position. Just that it didn't agree with yours doesn't mean they weren't right to do it. But for Leave to now say their behaviour can't be held up to scrutiny because it wasn't a promise - that's laughable, and dishonest.

16 minutes ago, Highgate said:

It wouldn't really be WWIII If it were just USA vs N.Korea would it?  S.Korea would be hit obviously, but unless China got involved then USA vs N.Korea was never going to be a World War as such. 

Given that Trump and Kim Jong Un were publicly insulting one another and threatening each other's countries with unprecedented violence and considering the two ludicrous egotistical and narcissistic personalities involved, I think there was every justification in fearing that war could have broken out between the US and N.Korea at the time.  Thankfully it didn't.

So does Trump deserve any credit for cooling tensions or not? Or just criticism for raising tensions in the first place?

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Are you now genuinely saying that we weren't led to believe that this wasn't what we would get? That all the talk of easy deals, more cash to the NHS wasn't a promise so can't be held to account after the fact?

Yet strangely enough Project Fear was obviously an attempt to block Brexit. I don't recall being promised that there would be an emergency budget, so therefore it can't be used against the remain faction. There was a prediction of a downturn, but nobody used the word promise, and no politician pinky swore that it would be like that. 

You know you're talking rubbish. The leave factions told everyone there'd be more money, and we could give it to the NHS. They promised easy trade deals that would mean we would be better off. We were told Germany wouldn't allow us to leave without a deal.

Now we're told that we all voted for no deal all along, that nobody said there was more money to spend on the NHS (or anything else for that matter). 

You know, I will say Remain took advantage. That they expected a downturn but the BoE worked hard to prevent it. That money was spent giving every household a flyer promoting remain, but it is the government's duty to come up with a policy and to promote their position. Just that it didn't agree with yours doesn't mean they weren't right to do it. But for Leave to now say their behaviour can't be held up to scrutiny because it wasn't a promise - that's laughable, and dishonest.

So basically you admit to being very hypocritical? 

Archived