DOTY

Chester40

2 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

What's he done wrong this season? I'd argue it's been his best year because the money he's invested in the academy and youth recruitment is starting to pay off.

I suspect Angry Ram is referring to his interference and bad management of the club over the years, which has  resulted in a negative impact on this season. 

That's what I think anyway. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Not progressing from our encouraging early play and going backwards in terms of our style.

Mount being the epitome of the above...looked lethal early in the season.

letting Thorne and Martin go out on loan instead of rehabilitating them back from injury here.

Brysons legs sadly losing their normal pace,at least on the basis of watching him at the Millwall game.

On the other hand ive had some brilliant moments watching the team this year too....last year I was just sad for us throughout the season.

how many games did Thorne have in the under for the under 23s?

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

It was puns related to Alton Towers, Theme, as in Theme Park....

It was a very poor and obscure pun and i’m thoroughly ashamed of my self.

In fact, i’m fluming with myself with how rapid the puns declined.

Oh, oh I see. Maybe just stick to moderating and leave the puns to your mate boycie?

I'm not particularly upset by any single player as such, more by the collective drop off in style and performance. September October were really exciting. Then it started to fall away culminating in Millwall. I think losing Mount to injuries had a big impact but we had a huge squad so should have been able to adjust easily. All teams suffer injuries!

The spirit seems to have gone so I find that the biggest disappointment to date, where are the crunching tackles, movement off the ball, winning the 50/50's more often?

Were at the wrong end of the fair play league but not for really putting the boot in. We need to get stuck in more

22 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

I suspect Angry Ram is referring to his interference and bad management of the club over the years, which has  resulted in a negative impact on this season. 

That's what I think anyway. 

I have mixed views on Mel but I think he’s got his heart in the right place and that his investment will pay off in the long term. However, I can absolutely see why people think he’s done more harm than good.

What I’m asking is why is he a disappointment this season? Both the U18s and U23s are doing brilliantly, the funding that he made available to Darren Wassall to buy players from other academies has been incredibly successful (Bogle is now a multi-million pound asset, Luke Thomas and Jayden Mitchell-Lawson could be next) and he’s barely been in the media spotlight. 

If you didn’t like him before then I don’t get what he’s done particularly badly this season. Concerns about FFP are the result of him having too much trust in previous managers/recruitment people and backing them to excess.

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Thorne not getting a look in whilst out on loan

He must have groaned, signed on the dotted line then the manager cleared off.

Such a shame.

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I have mixed views on Mel but I think he’s got his heart in the right place and that his investment will pay off in the long term. However, I can absolutely see why people think he’s done more harm than good.

What I’m asking is why is he a disappointment this season? Both the U18s and U23s are doing brilliantly, the funding that he made available to Darren Wassall to buy players from other academies has been incredibly successful (Bogle is now a multi-million pound asset, Luke Thomas and Jayden Mitchell-Lawson could be next) and he’s barely been in the media spotlight. 

If you didn’t like him before then I don’t get what he’s done particularly badly this season. Concerns about FFP are the result of him having too much trust in previous managers/recruitment people and backing them to excess.

I think we are better off with him than without. Look at Coventry and that could so easily have been us. Still could if Mel decides to jack it all in.

The concerns about FFP seems to come from people adding 2 + 2 and getting 39 million debt.

The future is bright certainly.

DOTY is probably the pre season expectations. I wasn't expecting mountains to be moved when Lamps came in but after watching us in pre-season my expectations rose rapidly. And whilst it's only pre-season and it's my own fault for getting my own hopes up, the football we played came from somewhere. It was still a pretty much full-strength Wolves side and a full-strength Southampton side that we faced - why on earth can we not replicate that? The goal we scored against Wolves to win the match is one of the best team goals I've ever seen! Josefzoon's perfectly weighted cross, Nugent's back post header right onto the foot of Mason Mount who smashes it into the top of the net. Where is that? Where has that team gone? That for me is the biggest disappointment of the lot. 

Side-not - I also find it frustrating that we seem to not be bothered to press the opposition anymore. We pressed really well in the opening months of the season yet I think Marriott pressed Jordan Archer maybe once against Millwall? Yes, we will concede more if we press higher - however our defensive record isn't great anyway is it? And we would score so many more goals because we have pace and it would open more space up and open the game up.

Not sure Brysons legs have gone (much), but his footballing ability has.

Maybe the 10% extra he had in the legs tank, bought him the time to make up for the basic footy limitations.

Other big disappointment this season is failure to increase the number of decent goal scoring chances. This has been the problem for the last few years in reality. It might even be a fundamental flaw in the playing style of all recent managers.

Archived