Derbyshire Cricket 2019

eddie

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Glamorgan win by 2 wickets, the second innings collapse proved to costly, good game of cricket though.

Followed it on my phone in the glorious sunshine on St Ives beach in Cornwall. When they were 7 down and 80 plus needed I was quite hopeful. Never mind.

Interesting field settings towards the end - Derbyshire dispensed with a slip, put Madsen at long stop, had two third men, a deep backward square and a leg slip, then got Van Beek to bowl loads of short stuff into the batsmen's body, which elicited a few boos and slow hand claps from the Glamorgan supporters.

Predictably, the ball was edged a couple of times through the vacant slip cordon at catchable height.

Derbyshire lack a real pace attack - something we had in spades last season. After tea, Reece was struggling with what seemed like an ankle injury, but battled on manfully, then Paladino hurt his shoulder diving to stop a boundary, and Rampaul also never bowled after tea (he too left the field a couple of times with what I assume was an injury).

All in all, it was a brilliant game of cricket between two very well-matched sides, and it could have gone either way even right at the end. If Derbyshire had battled longer in the second innings and established a big lead, then day 4 might have been attritional. As it was, I thoroughly enjoyed the battle, even though we lost.

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Followed it on my phone in the glorious sunshine on St Ives beach in Cornwall. When they were 7 down and 80 plus needed I was quite hopeful. Never mind.

Yeah, was very hopeful. But one good partnership changed it.

4 minutes ago, eddie said:

Interesting field settings towards the end - Derbyshire dispensed with a slip, put Madsen at long stop, had two third men, a deep backward square and a leg slip, then got Van Beek to bowl loads of short stuff into the batsmen's body, which elicited a few boos and slow hand claps from the Glamorgan supporters.

Predictably, the ball was edged a couple of times through the vacant slip cordon at catchable height.

Derbyshire lack a real pace attack - something we had in spades last season. After tea, Reece was struggling with what seemed like an ankle injury, but battled on manfully, then Paladino hurt his shoulder diving to stop a boundary, and Rampaul also never bowled after tea (he too left the field a couple of times with what I assume was an injury).

All in all, it was a brilliant game of cricket between two very well-matched sides, and it could have gone either way even right at the end. If Derbyshire had battled longer in the second innings and established a big lead, then day 4 might have been attritional. As it was, I thoroughly enjoyed the battle, even though we lost.

We definitely lack a quick bowler, especially someone who charge in at lower order batsmen and finish a game off.

3 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Just read that Du Plooy is back to full fitness. Looking forward to seeing him bat again after the one day games. If he was to play at Leicester on Monday I wonder where he would fit into the team?

I'm guessing that Dal would be left out (unfortunately, in my view), Du Plooy would bat at 4 and Lace, Hughes etc move down one.

14 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Game is there for the taking if any of the Derbys batsman can get a score - any signs?

21-0 after 12 overs. So far, so good.

Archived