Derbyshire Cricket 2019

eddie

238-5 at tea. A couple of wickets just before the interval spoiled a dominant position somewhat, but still pretty good.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Close of play 253-5. The light closed in, frustratingly, and it was very gloomy indeed with a few spots of rain falling. We decided to leg it, because the radar showed a heavy shower heading slowly towards Derby, and England v Pakistan were on the telly.

28 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Gone past 350. Half century for Anuj Dal, I won’t be asking what he does anymore ?

He was excellent, despite taking a couple of blows on the head. He and Ravi Rampaul added 50 for the last wicket.

12 minutes ago, eddie said:

He was excellent, despite taking a couple of blows on the head. He and Ravi Rampaul added 50 for the last wicket.

I don’t know what’s going on in the other games but our 300 looks great in comparison.

i have to hold my hands up and admit I was too quick to judge Dal. Will be interesting when Du Plooy is available again, all the batsmen seem to be chipping in with runs so far, which is obviously good news ?

BC09DDF3-A535-4C61-9BD8-68F3DE7383C4.png

Another excellent closely-contested day between two very well-matched sides saw Derbyshire conclude their first innings on the stroke of lunch, all out for 378. Glamorgan batted well throughout the last two sessions and closed the day on 214-4, so the game is still nicely poised with all results still possible.

Billy Root, younger brother of England captain Joe, looks to be making up for lost time in his career. The current game is only his 17th first-class match at the age of 26, but he has already racked up 3 centuries before the current game (two of them have been this season), and his unbeaten 53 in the last hour and a half of play today was embellished with some lovely cover drives. A left-hand bat, he looks a mirror-image clone of his big brother at the crease and I wouldn't be surprised if he went on to register a ton in this game.

An all-rounder by trade (he is an occasional off-break and leg-break bowler), he won't be bowling in this game though. He has just been suspended from bowling following a review of his action for an over-the-limit 'elbow extension', and will require remedial correction of his action.

1 minute ago, jimbo jones said:

Yeah, we were 3 down last time I checked before i just looked now ?‍♂️ 

@sage and The Memsahib were both convinced earlier today that it was a nailed-on draw, yet in basically the space of 2 hours, the state of the game went from that to the draw now being the only result that will not happen (barring another miraculous partnership between Anuj Dal and Ravi Rampaul that takes an hour or two out of the game). I'm not saying that Derbyshire are out of it - far from it. Today, nobody was able to get on top of the bowling from either side - 15 wickets in the day is a lot for Day 3, especially after the relative comfort that batsmen from both sides enjoyed on Sunday and Monday. I don't think it will be straightforward for Glamorgan tomorrow, but they are currently clear favourites in my book.

What a wonderful game cricket is. Dal and Rampaul just added their second fifty partnership of the match for the last wicket, leaving Glamorgan with a target of 246 to win.

12 minutes ago, eddie said:

What a wonderful game cricket is. Dal and Rampaul just added their second fifty partnership of the match for the last wicket, leaving Glamorgan with a target of 246 to win.

Do we reckon that's competitive Eddie?

At least there should be a result... looks like it should be a tight finish right to the end of the day. Perfect for those spectating.

46 minutes ago, eddie said:

Brilliant from the pair of them, couple of early wickets as well ?

57 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

47-3 ?

shaping up to be a cracking finish.

Billy Root looking very easy on the eye again. The partnership between him and Glamorgan skipper Lloyd looks key at the moment.

11 minutes ago, eddie said:

Billy Root looking very easy on the eye again. The partnership between him and Glamorgan skipper Lloyd looks key at the moment.

Mate of mine at work is a big Notts fan and regular at Trent Bridge. He reminded me today that he recommended him at the end of last season as a possible good signing for Derbyshire. Always said it was just like watching his brother bat.

Archived