Defence....or lack of

Big Trav

As we came into this January window we all knew our problems in defence. We signed Cole which is cover for full back which is good. However we only have 2 first team centre backs. Who can fill in in case one gets a knock. I know wisdom has played there but other than that it’s a bit poo

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree however I don't really see who we would realistically get as theoretically they are coming to warm our bench up. I'm sure there are a couple of decent youngsters who could step in. Plus lets not forget that George Evans can also realistically play centre-back, so honestly I'm pretty okay about it. I'm more interested in signing a midfielder as I think we're pretty short in that area.

Frank touched on this in the Accrington press conference. Says he wants someone in for central defense but he'll have to see what happens. Reiterated we're not exactly in a position of power in this transfer window.

Reece Burke has been excellent for Hull more recently, it's a shame that we couldn't have convinced him to come. He would have likely been our first choice with Davies out, although I doubt we would have signed Tomori in that case. It would be nice to have both now. 

“Hello Mr Competent CB at top 6 level, would you like to come to Derby and sit on the bench and watch a player who has been injured for half a dozen games in 7 years and a Chelsea youngster is more talented than you every week? Oh and you’ll earn less per week than some first teamers who train with the U23s. But fingers crossed one of them gets injured and you get a game...”

The queue must be getting longer by the hour as deadline day looms.

But to let Pearce go knowing there was no-one lined up is very flawed. Should have kept them hanging on until we had a replacement ready to come through the door.

Wisdom would be fine if he wasn't struggling, and potentially needed at full back.

I expect Hudds can do a job if needed. 

The saving grace may be that Hanson has moved on.  He may have been a lot closer to the team if he was still here.

6 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

Does Big Tom start Friday at CB or do we see someone like Kellan Gordon play RB?

Lamps has played Duane at RB a couple of times - probably not great from a defensive perspective, but who knows - maybe he will stop a cross or two coming in. 

Keogh used to play at RB as well for a brief period. Although then you are struggling for CBs, which I suppose could in theory be Huddlestone.

1 hour ago, Rample said:

But to let Pearce go knowing there was no-one lined up is very flawed. Should have kept them hanging on until we had a replacement ready to come through the door.

Wisdom would be fine if he wasn't struggling, and potentially needed at full back.

I expect Hudds can do a job if needed. 

The saving grace may be that Hanson has moved on.  He may have been a lot closer to the team if he was still here.

If we had kept Pearce there is a high probability that Millwall would have moved on to their next target. 

Archived