Sign in to follow this  
Derbylad92

Change of formation needed!

442 may work for us 352 maybe even better for us because we simply don’t need our full backs currently and the defensive midfielder because they give us nothing and stop no one 

everyone who chose to criticise Forsyth think again 

Edited by Sparkle

Bang on! If you can't pass, intercept and react quick to get the second ball, no amount of formation chopping and changing is going to help.

I've also noticed that we seem so bad at anticipating where the ball will land when it's up in the air/ using common sense to get into good positions to win the second ball and this means we're always on the back foot. I'm really bad at explaining it but it's like we are chasing shadows.

Edited by goldstar

Could we play 442?

Carson

Bogel, Keogh, Tomori, Lowe

Joseofzoon Wilson Mount Holmes

Waghorn Marriott

Basically give up on midfield and have lots of smart counter attacks?

Would mean the midfield pair have to cover a lot more ground.

7 hours ago, goldstar said:

Bang on! If you can't pass, intercept and react quick to get the second ball, no amount of formation chopping and changing is going to help.

I've also noticed that we seem so bad at anticipating where the ball will land when it's up in the air/ using common sense to get into good positions to win the second ball and this means we're always on the back foot. I'm really bad at explaining it but it's like we are chasing shadows.

Its true but the last 4/5 games when he changes to 442 it helps us going forward marriott is just exposed every game when we play with 1 up top our midfield are far to deep 

7 hours ago, Sparkle said:

442 may work for us 352 maybe even better for us because we simply don’t need our full backs currently and the defensive midfielder because they give us nothing and stop no one 

everyone who chose to criticise Forsyth think again 

It’s unbelievable how much we have missed Forsyth. He’s hardly an outstanding player, but he competes at both ends of the pitch and his all round game is more solid than the other 5000 (slight exaggeration) left backs we have.

47 minutes ago, Derbylad92 said:

Its true but the last 4/5 games when he changes to 442 it helps us going forward marriott is just exposed every game when we play with 1 up top our midfield are far to deep 

It does seem to give us more of an attacking threat. Maybe switch to that plus a hell of a lot more training the basics and how to play when the opponent gives you no time on the ball. For years now we seem to let teams cut straight through us with no one near them yet once our player gets the ball, they're immediately surrounded.

4 minutes ago, goldstar said:

It does seem to give us more of an attacking threat. Maybe switch to that plus a hell of a lot more training the basics and how to play when the opponent gives you no time on the ball. For years now we seem to let teams cut straight through us with no one near them yet once our player gets the ball, they're immediately surrounded.

100% i totally agree we could get within 5 yards of them when they had the ball 

8 hours ago, goldstar said:

Correct. Leeds swarmed all over us and always seemed to have extra players...their shape was very dynamic and constantly in amoebic motion. They reminded me of trying to take an eel off my hook .....they just never stood still so you couldn’t get a hold. We got off lightly at 0-2. I’m very confident that Frank has had a lesson this week in how you need to be a manager - you have to hand it to El Loco...he is totally effective. 

10 hours ago, McLovin said:

3-5-2? 

Carson

Evans    Keogh    Tomori 

Holmes          Huddlestone        Malone

Wilson          Mount

Waghorn      Marriott 

Adds another defender, gets two up front and our best midfield.  A few noted that Holmes doesn’t score or assist enough, could be an option as a wing back.

Holmes as wingback - ludicrous . far too lightweight defensively. Evans as centre back - has he ever played this position ? 

Complete overreaction to Leeds performance. Greater stability in team selection and formation would be preferable.

35 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Holmes as wingback - ludicrous . far too lightweight defensively. Evans as centre back - has he ever played this position ? 

Complete overreaction to Leeds performance. Greater stability in team selection and formation would be preferable.

You don’t need to be good defensively as a wing back mate. Holmes wasn’t any worse than Wisdom yesterday when Holmes played at rb. It would actually get the most out of Malone too because he isn’t good defensively. England got to the World Cup semi final with Ashley Young as a wing back and Chelsea won the league with Victor Moses as a wing back. Holmes doesn’t score or assist enough to play in a front 3 at the moment but he’s too good to leave out of the team. 

And the Reading team under stam that reached the play off final played three at the back with Evans regularly dropping in at centre back. Evans doesn’t do enough at the moment to play at defensive mid. Tomori and Keogh are being dragged all over the place, another body at the back may help them.

I would change to a 2 up top in Waghorn and Marriott. The 4-3-3 with a DM never works for us it’s always a “nearly” formation. But nothing will change unless we get a new back 5.

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Just too many changes each game for me. What was it 4 last night. Once that is settled, we will see more. If that means some pain, so be it. 

Correct @Angry Ram. And the stats back it up at Expermental 3-6-1: there is a +ve correlation between league position and teams who have used fewest players/named unchanged sides and yes Leeds and Norwich are amongst the most settled.