Ashley Cole is a Ram

Carl Sagan

20 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Playing full back is not hard - show them outside and stop the crosses and win the majority of your headers whilst covering the centre backs - attacking when the timing is right 

sounds simple which it is compared to all the other positions 

hahah love this! The argument within every amateur football team up and down the land! "you're worst players will be play left and right back!" 

"failed wingers or failed centrebacks"

Coincidently my Saturday teams right and left back are absolute toilet! 

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, David said:

Short term deal age really is no issue, if we was to start handing out 2 or 3 year contracts to a 38 year old I would have concerns.

I think it's worth mentioning that Ashley Cole has spoken of his desire to become a coach or scout at Chelsea, now I'm the last person to suggest we appoint anyone as a coach, but it does make me wonder if this could lead to Cole joining the coaching team in the summer as John Terry did at Villa.

Just a thought.

Also I know some will say it's a waste of money, we're stopping opportunities for younger players to come through, I think Lampard has proven he is more than willing to give youth a chance, if he doesn't feel that Lowe or MacDonald are ready for the first team we should respect that.

I would rather we wait till he feels they are ready, not dragging them through the chorus of groans/boos for any mistake when a player like Cole is available to play the odd game as and where needed and brings with him a wealth of experience from the very top level of the game. 

This could be a great signing for Bogle, you would hope he sticks to him like glue and hammers every last drop of knowledge out of him over the remainder of the season. What a mentor to have at the club.

This was exactly my thought.

If nothing else, he will bring experience to the defence, all of which could glean something from him

I also agree on the Max Lowe part of your post. I wouldn't want a young mans confidence knocked out of him because he heas been thrown in too young and inexperienced. Good move form Frank IMO

17 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Mirror report seems to suggest it’s with the option of becoming a coach after. Be more than happy to have someone like Cole in organising our defence in training, said we needed a defence coach earlier in the season.

Great players don't necessarily make good coaches

My, probably entirely wrong, reading between the tea leaves on this when it comes to Max Lowe is we recalled him because we wanted to entice a permanent deal out of it in the summer. We agreed that, he went back.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

My, probably entirely wrong, reading between the tea leaves on this when it comes to Max Lowe is we recalled him because we wanted to entice a permanent deal out of it in the summer. We agreed that, he went back.

I honestly think we simply recalled him because we had Wisdom playing LB at the time, but with how much I'm sure Lowe was enjoying playing at Aberdeen, when Ashley Cole called Frank back after Malone got healthy we were comfortable letting him return.

We'll find out in the summer though.

8 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Great players don't necessarily make good coaches

No, but it’s got to be worth a shot. Can’t really do any harm giving it a go given how our defence have been this season, Coles greatest strength was always in his positioning which is what some of our younger defenders (Tomori, Bogle etc) struggle with at times, if he can impart some of that knowledge it may well be beneficial 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Playing full back is not hard - show them outside and stop the crosses and win the majority of your headers whilst covering the centre backs - attacking when the timing is right 

sounds simple which it is compared to all the other positions 

Keeper: Just catch the thing.....

16 hours ago, 'Rambe33 said:

In his prime he was the best left back in the world. One of my favourite players to wear an England shirt from recent time. 

Granted we're gonna get a much  older version but I'll give you some perspective... 

We signed a 34 year old Lee Naylor who had his contract cancelled by Accy Stanley four years ago. 

Got to love the Frank Lampard effect! Never would I have ever thought we'd have any connection playing/coaching to Ashley Cole! 

15 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Best left back in the world in his prime. Always used to get the better of ronaldo when he was up against him. 

He wasn’t better than Maldini, Roberto Carlos, Lahm, Abidal or Marcelo mates.

And he played Ronaldo when Ronaldo was only in his late teens/early twenties. When Ronaldo played for Madrid when they played Chelsea, he pretty much destroyed Ashley.

That said, I’ve always been a fan of his as a player and is a big improvement on Lowe atm. 

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

And he played Ronaldo when Ronaldo was only in his late teens/early twenties. When Ronaldo played for Madrid when they played Chelsea, he pretty much destroyed Ashley.

That said, I’ve always been a fan of his as a player and is a big improvement on Lowe atm. 

They didn't say in history, they said during his prime - at that present moment, no-one else was better.

Maldini had retired during Cole's prime.

Roberto Carlos was long past his best and playing in Turkey/Brazil

I flat-out disagree that during Cole's prime, Marcelo or Abidal were better than him. They just weren't.

Lahm is debatable, but I definitely think Cole had at least one season playing better.

2 hours ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Paolo Maldini was a month shy of 39 when he lifted the Champions League Trophy in May 2007.

Maldini was also arguably the best defender ever though and had freak genetics. 

Cole will bring experience but apart from last season for the Galaxy, he’s not been too good in America 

Just now, SaintRam said:

They didn't say in history, they said during his prime - at that present moment, no-one else was better.

Maldini had retired during Cole's prime.

Roberto Carlos was past it and playing in Turkey/Brazil

I flat-out disagree that during Cole's prime, Marcelo or Abidal were better than him. They just weren't.

Lahm is debatable, but I definitely think Cole had at least one season playing better.

Disagree, Marcelo and Abidal were better going forward and were better technically. Cole even said himself that Marcelo was better.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Disagree, Marcelo and Abidal were better going forward and were better technically. Cole even said himself that Marcelo was better.

His opinion doesn't change mine.

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

I don't think he would come out and say " I am better than Marcelo" on the other hand...

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Marcelo was crazy good at his best, even now he’s past his best, he’s still been one of the key players in the side to have won the champions league 4 or the last 5 years, Ashley never got to those heights. 

And Abidal’s an inspiration. He was the left back in arguably the best club side ever, regularly kept Evra(who was probably on par with Cole at that point) out of the French team and came back from cancer twice to still play at a world class level and win the champions league.

7 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

I don't think he would come out and say " I am better than Marcelo" on the other hand...

I disagree, Cole was fairly arrogant before and wouldn’t have had a problem to say he was the best. 

It was fairly close between the lot of them, that was a period with genuine top left backs.

Uefa team of the year left backs: Abidal made it in 2007, Lahm in 2008, Evra in 2009, Cole in 2010.

Just now, McLovin said:

Marcelo was crazy good at his best, even now he’s past his best, he’s still been one of the key players in the side to have won the champions league 4 or the last 5 years, Ashley never got to those heights. 

And Abidal’s an inspiration. He was the left back in arguably the best club side ever, regularly kept Evra(who was probably on par with Cole at that point) out of the French team and came back from cancer twice to still play at a world class level and win the champions league.

You're treating this like my opinion on those players is based on a lack of knowledge.

I've watched both of those players for most of their careers and have come away with slightly different opinions. Although I think our opinions differ mostly when it comes to Ashley Cole, rather than Marcelo and Abidal.

We can leave it there.

I only meant to point out that two of the players you listed in argument to the original points made were retired/long past their best at the time. I'm not really interested in a drawn out discussion of our (I assume) long-held and hard-wearing opinions of players that will never be relevant to Derby.

21 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Maldini and Roberto Carlos were the generation before. Lahm was a rb, Abidal wasn’t as good and Marcelo was the generation after. Cole was the best lb in the world in his generation, not even debatebale imo.

Archived