January Transfers

RamLad1884

Browsing the forum and the transfer threads are almost completely dead right now, even at this time of year there's normally at least a few players that the fans want. 

Is the general consensus that we don't need to buy in January? Assuming all our loan signings remain until the end of the season. If so it must be the first time in many years we're happy with the squad. 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Frank will be ruthless enough to push for one more signing if we're still doing extremely well come January. Hudson-Odoi from Chelsea will probably be one Frank & Jody will be keeping an eye on. He'll want to get out of this division as quickly as possible because the chances of Mount & Wilson returning next season if we're still in the Championship are very slim.

But that's just being greedy. This is one of our best squads ever. Lovely balance of youth, experience & depth.

7 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I think we could maybe do with more cover for Mount/Bryson, although Wilsons performances there in the last couple of games might change my mind on that. Aside from that, nothing needs changing.

Holmes is the cover for Mount.  Evans is cover and I think the intended long-term replacement for Bryson.

Any squad can always evolve and improve but you're absolutely right that the lack of suggestions speaks volumes. Funny that as under the Rowett regime it was constantly stated that it would take 3/4 transfer windows to reshape this squad and whilst we aren't the finished article, we're certainly closer than we've ever been. Whilst we've made some astute signings, a change in mindset has been a contributing factor too. Surely as much as we as a fan base are enjoying watching the style of play on offer this season then it must also be far more enjoyable for the players too. You can see that with the players last night. Each player that was subbed last night made a point of high fiving the rest of the bench before taking their seat. Ok only a small detail but proves to me that their is a real team unity. 

Where would you start?

The only way to improve what we have is to spend a lot of money. Looking at the squad we are fine in defence (two options for each position), fine in midfield (plenty of options in all positions), fine in the wide areas and fine upfront. 

The only two areas I would say we may need something is a mobile battler with good passing in CM, and competition for Marriott, but that's only being really picky!

Butterfield, Thorne and Anya need to go out, even if it's on loan.

Luke Thomas and Max Lowe's loans are only until January, so we have to make a call on whether to bring them home or keep them at their respective clubs.

Injuries and league position will dictate a lot. We'll have a much better idea once we hit December. Drogba has joked about coming to play for us and there is always the MLS off season when players arrive for a spell. If we get someone in, it will probably be someone like him. I think the squad is so young, I wouldn't be buying more young players right now - in his one transfer window, Lamps did the best job ever of reversing the terrible ageing work of Rowett.

20 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Butterfield, Thorne and Anya need to go out, even if it's on loan.

Luke Thomas and Max Lowe's loans are only until January, so we have to make a call on whether to bring them home or keep them at their respective clubs.

Injuries and league position will dictate a lot. We'll have a much better idea once we hit December. Drogba has joked about coming to play for us and there is always the MLS off season when players arrive for a spell. If we get someone in, it will probably be someone like him. I think the squad is so young, I wouldn't be buying more young players right now - in his one transfer window, Lamps did the best job ever of reversing the terrible ageing work of Rowett.

He's 40 now bound to end up at Stoke.

There's still a long way to go until January so the fans' opinion on whether we need to add to the squad or not could go very different ways depending on the results between now and then. The league is so, so tight that in a couple of games we could be top or we could be 14th. If we're in 14th in January, most will want additions. If we're top, some may still want signings but there's going to be less demand. I imagine Frank and his team will be looking towards the window shortly regardless of our position, would be foolish to not be at least prepared. We could be crippled by injuries or we could have players like Holmes, Jozefzoon etc. struggling to make the matchday squad every week.

Current first team squad members Forsyth, Thudd perhaps, Johnson, Bryson and Nugent are all out of contract in the summer aren’t they?  Come January a couple of them might want to look elsewhere if they haven’t been offered new terms. Perhaps there might be a couple of ins/outs accordingly.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Depends what our mindset is. If we think we are going for promotion we probably need a few upgrades.

Failing that we will have Tomori, Mount and Wilson will need replacing unless we have youngsters that can take their places. 

Who needs upgrading and who realistically who be the upgrades? Not arguing it's just for the first time in yonks I can't think of many to bring in who would be an improvement on what we already have. As for the Chelsea lads, fab players as they are, neither is getting near a starting berth this season or next but they might be able to further their educations in the premiership with us, no? Potential win-win I reckon.

4 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

We don’t need to buy for now but perhaps with the future in mind,Tom Baylis?

It wouldn’t take many injuries for us to be in the poo striker wise but we can always recall wardrobe.

There's a twitter rumour that Bayliss was in the away end at West Brom, which I suppose would suggest he's a fan on his night off?

We can't recall Martin. The rules changed a few years ago so you can't simply recall players. Some loans are for the entire season and some allow for a January window recall, but Martin's was very much listed as being for the season. He's gone.

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Who needs upgrading and who realistically who be the upgrades? Not arguing it's just for the first time in yonks I can't think of many to bring in who would be an improvement on what we already have. As for the Chelsea lads, fab players as they are, neither is getting near a starting berth this season or next but they might be able to further their educations in the premiership with us, no? Potential win-win I reckon.

I'm not sure on the upgrades to be honest but think take the loanees out and we'd struggle.

Think there is only Tomori that would potentially be here next season. No chance with Wilson or Mount in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

There's a twitter rumour that Bayliss was in the away end at West Brom, which I suppose would suggest he's a fan on his night off?

We can't recall Martin. The rules changed a few years ago so you can't simply recall players. Some loans are for the entire season and some allow for a January window recall, but Martin's was very much listed as being for the season. He's gone.

I saw that on Baylis.

My Martin comment was totally childish just to see if I could get someone to kick off about him.

Childish on my part.

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm not sure on the upgrades to be honest but think take the loanees out and we'd struggle.

Think there is only Tomori that would potentially be here next season. No chance with Wilson or Mount in my opinion.

I agree but that's kind of my point. As far as the January window is concerned, I'm struggling to see many realistic upgrades. This is a pretty rare scenario for us in recent years so that's a positive thing I guess. As regards the loanees, much has been made of them returning to their clubs in the summer but let's not forget they can be replaced. If anything, the esteem in which Frank and Jody are held is even higher now than when they arrived so assuming there'll be nothing but a void after the young'uns ship out seems to also assume, wrongly in my opinion, that the next few in won't measure up. Given how well Frank has chosen this time around, why do we feel he can't do as well or even better the next time, especially as promotion is not a forlorn hope at this point.

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

I saw that on Baylis.

My Martin comment was totally childish just to see if I could get someone to kick off about him.

Childish on my part.

If we were going to bring in a striker in January no one in their right mind would go for Martin.  You need someone who runs the lines, and scores goals. How many league goals has Martin scored since the beginning of 2017?  About 5? Sammonesque.

Sorry, that was my inner-child coming out.

11 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

If we were going to bring in a striker in January no one in their right mind would go for Martin.  You need someone who runs the lines, and scores goals. How many league goals has Martin scored since the beginning of 2017?  About 5? Sammonesque.

Sorry, that was my inner-child coming out.

I bet Leon Best is available.

Archived