Premier League 2?

Matlock Old Ram

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Wasn't it the ex Bolton chairman who suggested no relegation from the Prem, obviously when Bolton were in the Prem, they're all greedy bastardos

Not sure,  think the chicken bankers at Blackburn were under the impression that there was no relegation when they bought Blackburn 

10 hours ago, Carnero said:

The only way this would work is if it was done in conjunction with the Premier League.

I wouldn't be against reducing the PL to 16 teams to increase the quality of their "product", with perhaps a "PL2" of 16 teams below that.

The EFL could then become 3 divisions of 20 with some of the smaller teams going part-time.

Less games = less injuries and potentially a better quality of game & fan enjoyment of the game (reduced saturation), we could also nigh on scrap the crappy (non-televised) midweek games.

Get lost I like midweek games even better when they away games.

What you're all missing is that the Championship TV money is shared between all the clubs in the EFL, so although virtually all the revenue is generated from the Championship it's shared amongst three leagues, which is the reason the Premier League struck out on their own, to keep all the revenue themselves (and even then distributing it out so the big clubs get bigger) while giving a pittance to the rest of the clubs.

We could do what they did, and have the Championship strike out on our own destroying the game even further, as that would probably result in a lot of League 1 and 2 clubs going under or turning semi-pro.

Personally I'd rather see the top 6 cut loose and form a European (super-duper) League, (what's English about those clubs now anyway?), and the rest of football get on with it on a leveller playing field.

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Get lost I like midweek games even better when they away games.

There are only a few rounds of midweek Premier League matches in a season.

Champions League/Europa League, League Cup rounds and FA Cup Replays take up the majority of the midweek schedule.

16 hours ago, curb said:

Personally I'd rather see the top 6 cut loose and form a European (super-duper) League, (what's English about those clubs now anyway?), and the rest of football get on with it on a leveller playing field. 

Agree totally, money-wise, they are light-years away from the rest.

The top six, or whatever it is now, are responsible for the vast majority of the TV money generated both domestically and worldwide. I can't imagine the delights of Burnley v Huddersfield being that big a draw in Ulan Bator.

I personally think that PL2 would be a great idea as this could redress the imbalance created by the formation of the PL. As was rightly pointed out, over half the clubs in the PL will get relegated in the next 2 decades and will most likely be an economic shambles when it does happen. 

Current TV money in the PL is £150m to the winners and £95m to the bottom team. Championship TV money is about £7m each with over half of that a "solidarity" payment from the PL to acknowledge the gulf in income. I would restructure this so that the winners still get £150m but the increments are much higher with the bottom team getting around £40m. PL2 teams could then get around £35 million each. This would have the benefit of keeping the top clubs competitive in Europe by attracting the best players, make all games in the PL more competitive if each place was worth £6m each, but avoid the cliff-edge financial capitulation of PL relegation. The need to get promoted would no longer be a financial imperative but for the glory of winning. No need for parachute payments either. And with the impact of relegation alleviated somewhat there may even be opportunity to blood some youngsters. 

Obviously there would then be a financial chasm between the PL2 and the next league. Therefore I propose a radical solution to have 4 divisions under the same authority with financial proceeds distributed incrementally from 1-92. I think we tried this between 1921 and 1992 and it was called The Football League or something like that. 

The disparity of money between the Premier League and the rest is obscene. Apart from the top 6, why are Watford for example worth £100m plus ?

I can see a top 6 breakaway European league forming, with Spain, France, Italy.  I can also see a no promotion or relegation rule being introduced sooner rather than later.  

3 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

The top six, or whatever it is now, are responsible for the vast majority of the TV money generated both domestically and worldwide. I can't imagine the delights of Burnley v Huddersfield being that big a draw in Ulan Bator.

I personally think that PL2 would be a great idea as this could redress the imbalance created by the formation of the PL. As was rightly pointed out, over half the clubs in the PL will get relegated in the next 2 decades and will most likely be an economic shambles when it does happen. 

Current TV money in the PL is £150m to the winners and £95m to the bottom team. Championship TV money is about £7m each with over half of that a "solidarity" payment from the PL to acknowledge the gulf in income. I would restructure this so that the winners still get £150m but the increments are much higher with the bottom team getting around £40m. PL2 teams could then get around £35 million each. This would have the benefit of keeping the top clubs competitive in Europe by attracting the best players, make all games in the PL more competitive if each place was worth £6m each, but avoid the cliff-edge financial capitulation of PL relegation. The need to get promoted would no longer be a financial imperative but for the glory of winning. No need for parachute payments either. And with the impact of relegation alleviated somewhat there may even be opportunity to blood some youngsters. 

Obviously there would then be a financial chasm between the PL2 and the next league. Therefore I propose a radical solution to have 4 divisions under the same authority with financial proceeds distributed incrementally from 1-92. I think we tried this between 1921 and 1992 and it was called The Football League or something like that. 

And herein lies the problem - greed. We had a perfectly good and fair system and it was jettisoned!

A snippet of Martin Samuels column today, pretty much nail on head.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6266345/Hats-old-codgers-called-FAs-bluff.html

Delusions of grandeur at Leeds  

Andrea Radrizzani has been involved with English football for, what, all of a year and nine months - so naturally he thinks he has the right to change it irrevocably.

Having not made the money out of Leeds United that he expected, and finding it a good deal harder to get out of the Championship, too, he wants to form a breakaway league.

He doesn't like the idea of second-tier money being shared with those below, he doesn't like the TV deal, he doesn't like the parachute payments for relegated clubs - most of all he doesn't like that Leeds are a big club in a small league, but whose fault is that?

So you know what is coming: Premier League 2. All the fun of the Premier League, but inferior. All the excitement, but accompanied by the sound of a door slamming in the faces of those below.

Gillingham's chairman once came up with something similar: next time we looked, his club were in Division Four. Bolton were also keen for a time, before they went down to tier three.

It's a protectionist idea from clubs who think they are better than they are.

Radrizzani wants it because he has noticed Leeds are a big television draw, but only receive £2.5million from TV rights. Tough. Manchester United could do better going it alone, but they can't because that is not how English football works.

The success is built on collective strength, not cutting half of the league adrift to trouser more money. If Radrizzani wants a bigger slice, he gets it by succeeding in a sporting meritocracy and winning promotion, not by trumpeting his audience share.

It wasn't so long ago that returning to the second tier was Leeds' aim.

How would they have felt in 2007-08, say, if the likes of Stoke, Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday and Southampton had got together and decided they wanted to separate from the rest of the league - and Leeds should be shut outside, along with clubs the size of Hartlepool and Leyton Orient?

Not fair, is it, this arbitrary line being drawn to curtail ambition?

Where would Sunderland, Portsmouth, Charlton or Coventry sit in this Premier League 2; or would they just be set adrift, like the rest, by a man whose involvement in English football has lasted as long as one of Peter Ridsdale's tropical fish.

Some clown who is a pompey supporter said on talk sport yesterday that the division of money should be based on past success.

I think in that case if we can go back in the past we should take money away from clubs that have ripped off local businesses by going into administration. Don't give the club any tv money until all debts are repaid.

9 hours ago, reveldevil said:

The success is built on collective strength, not cutting half of the league adrift to trouser more money. If Radrizzani wants a bigger slice, he gets it by succeeding in a sporting meritocracy and winning promotion, not by trumpeting his audience share

Is this the PL collective strength in cutting off the other 72 clubs in 1992 and keeping the money themselves?

Sporting meritocracy does not include a difference of £93m in TV money for finishing one place lower on the footballing pyramid. This is clearly unsustainable - take a look at the finances of Championship clubs compared to the more sustainable League One clubs. 

Radrizaani is not saying either that PL2 should be cut off from the rest of the Football League either, Samuel is imagining that. Mind you, he works for the Daily Mail, so misrepresenting foreigners is part of his remit I would imagine.

Archived