Away Days

Coneheadjohn

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Agree. It's a sizeable minority of all different ages.

I do think there is a common factor though - excess alcohol consumption. 

coupled with low IQs.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Me and dad the most we have a couple of pints I dont condine this behavour any shape of form. But normal away games nrothing like this.

But not at games but when out and about when having a good time it is hard to tell just how many you truely had.

With me danger sign is when I cant feel my feet thats when I know when to stop.

But most of them at age dont know how to listen to there bodies.

Brilliant post mate,If you can’t feel your feet you need to stop drinking.

And cheers for trying to help us on Saturday...really appreciate the thought?

I like a drink. If I go to athletics or the theatre I buy one and take it to my seat where I consume it gradually over the course of the event. All this 'drink it up on the concourse' doesn't help as people drink too quickly - both before and at the interval. How many other times do people go out and have time limits imposed on each round?  I suppose this drinking in a group also contributes as everyone has to keep pace and not the the one to be seen to lose face with the gang.

I never drink at football though - partly because I want to watch the football (there's a novelty!) and partly because I need my wits about me to deal with the irresponsible drinkers - even the pleasant drunks are a nuisance at games. 

This

Can we stop acting like this isn't a minority. I've never seen Derby fans act the way they did on Saturday (again a handful). Every time I've been home or away, our fans have been fine. No different to 98% of other fans up and down the country. the other 2% are Millwall and Leeds :).

Those on Saturday will get dealt with. Don't be put off from supporting your team because of those idiots.

23 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Can we stop acting like this isn't a minority. I've never seen Derby fans act the way they did on Saturday (again a handful). Every time I've been home or away, our fans have been fine. No different to 98% of other fans up and down the country. the other 2% are Millwall and Leeds :).

Those on Saturday will get dealt with. Don't be put off from supporting your team because of those idiots.

A person had to go to hospital for something they weren’t involved in. Minority or not it’s worth discussing how it happened, why it happened and let’s make sure it doesn’t happen again. Saying it’s not me, but a minority of others only washes our hands of responsibility but what if it happens again.

Maybe fans saying ‘you know what I don’t enjoy this aspect of away games’ and looking into solutions is something that has maybe been needed for a little while now? We might be like to 98% of other fans, but shlouldnt we strive to be better?

I don’t get the drinking bit. I bet these fans drink just as much at home matches but don’t throw seats. Also I don’t think taking drinks into the stand will help. If seats are getting thrown a 3/4 full plastic pint pot is more convenient to throw. 

Most of the stuff we see today is power puff compared to the 80’s. Most of the fighting was fighting now days it’s mainly shouting and everyone pulls out a phone.

12 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I don’t get the drinking bit. I bet these fans drink just as much at home matches but don’t throw seats. Also I don’t think taking drinks into the stand will help. If seats are getting thrown a 3/4 full plastic pint pot is more convenient to throw. 

Most of the stuff we see today is power puff compared to the 80’s. Most of the fighting was fighting now days it’s mainly shouting and everyone pulls out a phone.

I like to drink but not to a point you dont know what you are doing.

Can’t the gate stewards refuse entry if someone is obviously drunk or high on drugs?

Bottom line is the stewards are there for our safety.

Watching it all kick off is not doing what they’re supposed to do.

Picking on a bloke pushing his disabled kid is obviously an easy target.

What I never understand is the age and physical appearance of some of the stewards employed by stadiums.

Young lads and girls thrown in the away end to make the numbers up.  It’s a professional occupation controlling a crowd and spotting trouble before it happens.

Its about time they took it seriously.

Clamp down hard on the idiots, shame them in public, send out a warning.

Don’t just stand there, it will quickly get out of control if the majority of people around the situation think the stewards don’t care.  Then you’ll have a problem and the club will get a reputation.

24 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

A person had to go to hospital for something they weren’t involved in. Minority or not it’s worth discussing how it happened, why it happened and let’s make sure it doesn’t happen again. Saying it’s not me, but a minority of others only washes our hands of responsibility but what if it happens again.

Maybe fans saying ‘you know what I don’t enjoy this aspect of away games’ and looking into solutions is something that has maybe been needed for a little while now? We might be like to 98% of other fans, but shlouldnt we strive to be better?

Absolutely. Talk about it, they need banning. My point was I don't want that to stop people going to watch the club they support because of this. Saturday was an extreme case.

I agree. I find the best awaydays are those where there are a smaller number of us (sorry, that does sound a bit "We're better than you"!)

Oldham and Hull away in cup were great atmospheres - Hull in league was much worse for us - larger numbers and surrounded by drunks. Also a lot of nasty chants at the opposition, whereas on the Tuesday we were having a laugh with each other. 

Some clubs have great stewards - Cardiff, Hull, Reading are all ok, My worst steward experiences have been at Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and just this last week at Rotherham.  Anything in common there I wonder? 

Think part of the problem comes from the mentality of ‘it’s about me and my mates and no one else matters’. We’ve all done it on a Saturday night in a club/bar/pub but when surrounded by families and people just trying to enjoy a hobby takes it one step too far.

Heres a thing, do we not take our own stewards away anymore? Always thought that was a good system re:communication between fan and stewards 

I do simual job to them 

What they should have done gone had words with and said something along these lines.

Look guys I know your team is losing I know frusrated but I will not put up with this behavour or your out and will miss rest of the game.

If they done this

I promise you this would not have happened.

3 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I do simual job to them 

What they should have done gone had words with and said something along these lines.

Look guys I know your team is losing I know frusrated but I will not put up with this behavour or your out and will miss rest of the game.

If they done this

I promise you this would not have happened.

They probably would have thrown that seat at you instead. You're acting like they have a brain between them mate.

Archived