Speeding

Gritstone Ram

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cstand said:

If it's a community concern zapper its only a warning letter also if you are driving at 34mph in a 30mph zone, you will be OK  it's 35mph when you get a NIP.  Your speedo will read slightly over if your tyres are inflated correctly as well.   For the latest info go onto the pepipoo website for speeding,  bus lane and parking fine issues but be careful if you post anything because some police forces view it has well.

That’s what it shows on the maps of the camera locations. A green camera for community concern.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The fines as a percentage of earnings can be extraordinarily high it seems to me, but yeah lets keep our eyes on the speedo...

Never quite got that one. If you can't safely glance at the speedo whilst driving you aren't safe to be on the road. 

Sounds like an excuse to me. 

So. There has to be a line somewhere, but some people think they know better and push it. I wish I could think of a good scenario to compare with. 

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I dunno? I don’t eat chocolate anymore.

milk intolerance.

Milk intolerance AND gluten intolerance?

you seem increasingly  intolerant 

26 minutes ago, Gritters said:

It was set up on the side of the road behind a bush on a corner. It wasn’t in a van it was more like a outside camera with plod behind it. I went back past about two hours later and he’d obviously made his money and gone.

Was it a hand held camera or a tripod set up,  are you sure it was the police taking the photos as members of the community doing this stuff have to wear high visibility jackets?

1 minute ago, Gritters said:

lol. I wish it was but it was the real thing I think. Although I haven’t seen one set up without a van before.

Was there two people behind it? Sometimes the rozzers let the locals zap the reckless speeding drivers after they complain about their road being a race track often enough.

1 minute ago, cstand said:

Was it a hand held camera or a tripod set up,  are you sure it was the police taking the photos as members of the community doing this stuff have to wear high visibility jackets?

It was a tripod I have seen the ‘old nothing better to do with my life’ crew at the side of the road before and it wasn’t that set up.

I was waiting to pull out of a side road on Monday, joining on the corner of a bend. I saw a Toyota Celica approaching from my left, waited till he'd passed, looked left to check it was clear, then pulled out.

It was then I saw the young woman lying in the road, a few yards in front of me, and the blue Celica carrying on down the road.

I pulled over and asked if the car had hit her, she was screaming and sobbing. She had tyre marks on her jeans, and her ankle was a mess. I had to stand on the bend while calling an ambulance and trying to direct 3 ways of traffic around her, while getting piss wet through and trying to comfort the woman. Not one motorist stopped to offer help, other than asking if I'd called an ambulance.

Eventually 2 cyclists stopped, and a pedestrian too who'd actually seen what happened, they helped guard her from oncoming traffic, but despite being in a residential area, not one person came out and offered a blanket or any other assistance.

After 17 minutes a van load of coppers turned up and took over, then 5 mins later the ambulance arrived. 

I gave my details to the police, told them what I had and hadn't seen, signed his little book and went on my way. 

Nearly a week later and I've heard nothing, no follow up asking for a statement or more details, it's not been reported in the local news, nothing.

I'd like to think it's because they found the hit and runner straight away, or they went and confessed, but somehow I doubt it.

To make the above relevent, the car wasn't speeding imo, and hit the girl around a blind bend, which makes it even more puzzling they didn't stop.

Sometimes accidents happen speed or not.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I was waiting to pull out of a side road on Monday, joining on the corner of a bend. I saw a Toyota Celica approaching from my left, waited till he'd passed, looked left to check it was clear, then pulled out.

It was then I saw the young woman lying in the road, a few yards in front of me, and the blue Celica carrying on down the road.

I pulled over and asked if the car had hit her, she was screaming and sobbing. She had tyre marks on her jeans, and her ankle was a mess. I had to stand on the bend while calling an ambulance and trying to direct 3 ways of traffic around her, while getting piss wet through and trying to comfort the woman. Not one motorist stopped to offer help, other than asking if I'd called an ambulance.

Eventually 2 cyclists stopped, and a pedestrian too who'd actually seen what happened, they helped guard her from oncoming traffic, but despite being in a residential area, not one person came out and offered a blanket or any other assistance.

After 17 minutes a van load of coppers turned up and took over, then 5 mins later the ambulance arrived. 

I gave my details to the police, told them what I had and hadn't seen, signed his little book and went on my way. 

Nearly a week later and I've heard nothing, no follow up asking for a statement or more details, it's not been reported in the local news, nothing.

I'd like to think it's because they found the hit and runner straight away, or they went and confessed, but somehow I doubt it.

To make the above relevent, the car wasn't speeding imo, and hit the girl around a blind bend, which makes it even more puzzling they didn't stop.

Sometimes accidents happen speed or not.

You are being unfair to the general public. Its hard to offer assistance when you busy filming it on your mobile phone.

I’ve not read all of this so I apologise if i’m duplicating.

I find everything at the minute is largely based around cost.

I would much rather us go back to a system of having large amounts of marked traffic police vehicles patrolling with a common sense attitude to policing.

Speed enforcement and cameras could be a part of this,what we have at the moment is a largely non existent excuse for policing.

Archived