Sam Longson letters to Cloughy being auctioned

Remy the hare

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian Clough was certainly charismatic, but no less a bit of a ********* when all said and done. I'm not from that era, but I don't think a person's sporting achievements should allow them to get away with things like unjustified expenses, not going on pre-season, etc. 

No doubt a number of people are clouded in their judgement. I'd be interested to learn more, perhaps I'm wrong. 

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Brian Clough was certainly charismatic, but no less a bit of a ********* when all said and done. I'm not from that era, but I don't think a person's sporting achievements should allow them to get away with things like unjustified expenses, not going on pre-season, etc. 

No doubt a number of people are clouded in their judgement. I'd be interested to learn more, perhaps I'm wrong. 

Certainly seems like a difficult situation all round. If Clough is was acting like he was too good to be sacked, st the height of his powers, and could therefore do what he wanted, what’s a chairman supposed to do. You put up with it for so long, and the you’re forced into a position where you can’t take it no more. 

Id say it’s a chairman’s duty in that situation to make sure a decent replacement is lined up, at the very least. 

And to be fair, Dave Mackay took over, and won us the league again. Man Utd can only wish their Fergie replacement went as well as that. 

Its after that that it all went to poo. 

I’m not of that era either, that’s just my take on having read the letter. 

53 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

They are up for auction on 31st August. How do you have copies?

helping with the marketing of the auction, trying to attract as many people as can be before all of these dissapear never to be seen again, the more people who know about it the more people can bid and hopefully they will go to a like minded individual who will share them with others.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Yes you are.

Just now, Matlock Old Ram said:

BC was certainly a difficult man to work with but Longson’s decision to part company with him has to go down as one of the worse decisions in football history

The older I get the more I start to nderstand longson.  However it is a results game and the facts are clear it was an awful decision.  Did BC going through that and Leeds ultimately make him a better manager?

We need to remember Clough resigned. He was definitely a bit of a prima donna. Clough actually regretted his decision and told Roy Mac (when Roy was manager) that it was foolish to argue with the Chairman.

16 hours ago, Matlock Old Ram said:

Longson’s decision to part company with him has to go down as one of the worse decisions in football history

A lot of stuff written at the time hinted that stuff going on with and around BC was bringing the club into disrepute with the FA. There was talk at the time that the FA were looking to take BC (and Derby) down a peg or two. IF that was true then Longson had a duty to take the helicopter view and protect his(our) club. I remember my late Father in Law who I think had shares, but certainly knew many at the top of DCFC, was of the opinion that no-one was happy but " he had to go".

It is interesting that the letter being quoted is unsigned, this must cast some doubt over its provenance. It may have been a draft that was later toned down or discarded.

I guess we'll never know the absolute truth (if there is such a thing when it comes to interpersonal issues) with neither party able to comment.

BC: Great manager, difficult employee!

I am from that era.

Saw all the big games, Spurs, Real, Juve etc.

Met B.C. twice (only because he bought his cheese from my Mother in Law at the supermarket  she worked in).

Had two very pleasant conversations, a nice man.

However you only have to see the interviews etc. on YouTube to see the change in him in front of the cameras.  Look up obnoxious in the dictionary, there is a picture of B.C.. Playing to the crowd? Of course. A legend in his own mind? Sure

It could have been Derby who won the European Cup twice, who knows?

Still the best manager never to have led England, his fault?  Old big head?  Most likely

9 hours ago, MickD said:

I am from that era.

Saw all the big games, Spurs, Real, Juve etc.

Met B.C. twice (only because he bought his cheese from my Mother in Law at the supermarket  she worked in).

Had two very pleasant conversations, a nice man.

However you only have to see the interviews etc. on YouTube to see the change in him in front of the cameras.  Look up obnoxious in the dictionary, there is a picture of B.C.. Playing to the crowd? Of course. A legend in his own mind? Sure

It could have been Derby who won the European Cup twice, who knows?

Still the best manager never to have led England, his fault?  Old big head?  Most likely

Agree but if the wasn’t a big head he wouldn’t have been a great manager.  He was there at the right time earlier he wouldn’t have had the opportunity later he wouldn’t have been able to manage the egos of the players

Archived