A Level results day 2018

Millenniumram

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Why did I do this?

It's a strange one?

Enjoy Manchester. Congrats on the great results! (Almost) Worth missing part of a season for. And hope you survive what may well be a rather hungover day at work. Surely no one will mind.

15 hours ago, Gritters said:

I am a firm believer in core subjects like Maths, History, Biology, Chemistry etc these are the subjects that sort the wheat from the chaff. 

Also degree subjects too should be in things like Law, Chemistry, History rather than philosophy and other useless subjects.

We had to take General Studies. What a waste of time that was.

Hang on though, I got an A in it, so I take that back.

As you were.....

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's a strange one?

Enjoy Manchester. Congrats on the great results! (Almost) Worth missing part of a season for. And hope you survive what may well be a rather hungover day at work. Surely no one will mind.

5 hours ago, Boycie said:

You’re pissed up for work aren’t you?

I’m just about surviving my shift stacking boxes after 1 hour of sleep and 2 Red Bulls. 

@Carl Sagan, I’m keeping my season ticket (going by train) and going to as many away games as possible.

I didn't get passed the second year of my A levels.

Going from 10 GCSE's I only managed C D E at AS level. And showing how crap my college was at the time, they let me on 2nd year Business Studies with an E grade. Worked a seasonal job around the Christmas period and then decided to call it a day from A levels. I envy anyone who gets top grades at A levels. It's constant studying and practice. I thought I did enough revision similar to school but I didn't stand a chance. I was really naive and didn't understand how difficult the jump from school to college is. All my mates who did Uni told me A levels were far harder than a degree. So well done to everyone getting good grades!

I spoke to folks who like myself didn't achieve what they wanted at A levels but there are so many different routes you can take. I took the job route and at 17 it was a massive learning curve. College doesn't tell you how to deal with angry customers or how to communicate with colleagues. If you have a person in your class who's a prat then you tend to ignore them or confront them. It's difficult to do that at work as I've found out ?  

Every employer I've been with hasn't cared about my early college stuff. They've gone for my work experience. If you've got a clear aim of what you want to do at Uni then that's great. But from experience, being in full-time work for 9 years has taken me further in my life than I think studying would have done. I did a course last year and that's helped me to become better in my area of work, 8 years after leaving the system. So it's not the end of the world if you're not interested in going to Uni or you didn't achieve the grades you wanted. Get your head down and try something else. It takes some people years to find out what they really want so don't be afraid to fail. 

On 16/08/2018 at 17:39, Gritters said:

I am a firm believer in core subjects like Maths, History, Biology, Chemistry etc these are the subjects that sort the wheat from the chaff. 

Also degree subjects too should be in things like Law, Chemistry, History rather than philosophy and other useless subjects.

Curious choice of useful and useless subjects. I work with a lot of philosophers and what they're thinking about is actually very important and changing the world!

8 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

I didn't get passed the second year of my A levels.

Going from 10 GCSE's I only managed C D E at AS level. And showing how crap my college was at the time, they let me on 2nd year Business Studies with an E grade. Worked a seasonal job around the Christmas period and then decided to call it a day from A levels. I envy anyone who gets top grades at A levels. It's constant studying and practice. I thought I did enough revision similar to school but I didn't stand a chance. I was really naive and didn't understand how difficult the jump from school to college is. All my mates who did Uni told me A levels were far harder than a degree. So well done to everyone getting good grades!

I spoke to folks who like myself didn't achieve what they wanted at A levels but there are so many different routes you can take. I took the job route and at 17 it was a massive learning curve. College doesn't tell you how to deal with angry customers or how to communicate with colleagues. If you have a person in your class who's a prat then you tend to ignore them or confront them. It's difficult to do that at work as I've found out ?  

Every employer I've been with hasn't cared about my early college stuff. They've gone for my work experience. If you've got a clear aim of what you want to do at Uni then that's great. But from experience, being in full-time work for 9 years has taken me further in my life than I think studying would have done. I did a course last year and that's helped me to become better in my area of work, 8 years after leaving the system. So it's not the end of the world if you're not interested in going to Uni or you didn't achieve the grades you wanted. Get your head down and try something else. It takes some people years to find out what they really want so don't be afraid to fail. 

Well said. You are right I also find there are two ways of progression especially at bigger companies. The first and hardest one is through hard work demonstrating the right behaviour and becoming a real asset to the company you work for. The second is the arse licking bullshitting way. If you decide to take the second route you will get found out by quite a few people.

Archived