Crazy Keogh hating

I'm not a Keogh hater by any means. I think he is our 2nd best CB behind Davies. But I do find the pass completion stat very misleading in 2 ways. 

1. A lot of his passes are across to his CB partner (always telegraphed by a shoulder drop) or back to Carson. Fairly easy to get a high completion there.
  2. Some of his failed passes are downright awful and given his position put us in trouble.

His awareness of the opposition seems a bit suspect of late. Just hope its a blip

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What did you think to Matt Le Tissier as a player?

Always thought Alan Shearer was dreadful at Newcastle too...

13 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I'm not a Keogh hater by any means. I think he is our 2nd best CB behind Davies. But I do find the pass completion stat very misleading in 2 ways. 

1. A lot of his passes are across to his CB partner (always telegraphed by a shoulder drop) or back to Carson. Fairly easy to get a high completion there.
  2. Some of his failed passes are downright awful and given his position put us in trouble.

His awareness of the opposition seems a bit suspect of late. Just hope its a blip

It's not a perfect comparison - However I made it cos people were suggesting all his passes were bad and that he was only making risky passes - Actually his passing accuracy is much the same as last season so is he actually making more risky passes?

I'd suggest he's making the same % of risky passes as last season - It's just last year he had 2 DMs to pass to when going forward - This year he has none cos Ledley keeps going up into the number 10 position... So he's having to try and play an even riskier pass if we're going to move forwards

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

brilliant exciting skilful should have played more for England than 8 full caps.

4 hours ago, cheron85 said:

It was a joke buddy - Don't take it to heart ?

However - A strong opinion should be backed up by something - Otherwise it's just "cos that's what I think" - That's not very compelling

I don't understand - You're saying that we have the ball from a goal kick - Carson plays it out to Keogh - And if no easy pass is on then putting the ball out of play or hoofing it to our relatively small forward line should be his next step? Might as well beg Rowett to come back if we're going to do that

Successful attacks are usually from people taking risks - You don't want your CB to be taking those risks - But if the team around him aren't getting themselves into simple positions he has to try a more complex pass - Which doesn't work 50% of the time

If Keogh started hoofing the ball out of play/straight to the opposition in their half you'd be whining at him for doing that too I suspect - Yes, the passes he's been making have been poor - But football is a team game and there's plenty of responsibility to go round at the moment

look he has been playing for Derby for four or five seasons now and to my opinion he has not improved in fact he has probably regressed,I reiterate my opinion

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

16 years he was with Southampton and they won nothing in that time though, so using your theory on Keogh this must make him to blame surely?

I knew what you meant.when you watched le tissier you were in anticipation of him doing someting brilliant/exciting.when you watch Keogh you are waiting for his next mistake.it's like comparing chalk to cheese,one was a skilful footballer one's a 3rd rate trier.

16 minutes ago, osmaston ram said:

I knew what you meant.when you watched le tissier you were in anticipation of him doing someting brilliant/exciting.when you watch Keogh you are waiting for his next mistake.it's like comparing chalk to cheese,one was a skilful footballer one's a 3rd rate trier.

Well I'm glad that you can see trying to put all of a clubs successes/failures at the feet of one player is stupid. Hopefully we can now move on from "Derby have failed for the last 6 years because of Keogh" and "we will never get promoted with Keogh in the team" type comments.

41 minutes ago, Seaside Sam said:

look he has been playing for Derby for four or five seasons now and to my opinion he has not improved in fact he has probably regressed,I reiterate my opinion

That's fine - But unless you can back it up with something then I'd suggest your opinion is just based on an irrational dislike of the guy

Statistically Keogh had his second best season in a Derby short last season - High on tackles, low on fouls, decent number of clearances - He even made more Key Passes and got 5 assists! 

Interestingly I think @SouthernRam was saying earlier that he's not getting rid enough when no other options - Average number of long balls per game in his career is 4 and last season was 3 - This season already the average is 8 (in 2 games) - Indicates to me that the midfield aren't dropping into the right places

Archived