FFP scales?

RoyMac5

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How are the FFP scales weighing atm?

I reckon with selling Vyds and other incoming dosh we must be well in profit?

I don't see why there is such enthusiasm or dejection one way or another. I reckon there must be people on here keeping themselves awake worrying, or even crying themselves to sleep. It's only money - and it's not ours. There are people at the club whose job it is to look after such mundane details, but like with anything else, the amateurs like to think that they know more than the professionals.

OK, sometimes they probably do.

1 minute ago, eddie said:

I reckon there must be people on here keeping themselves awake worrying, or even crying themselves to sleep. It's only money - and it's not ours. 

I hate all this, spend what we want it's Mels money. It's the Clubs debt. It could so easily go wrong, like it did with Lionel.

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

I don't see why there is such enthusiasm or dejection one way or another. I reckon there must be people on here keeping themselves awake worrying, or even crying themselves to sleep. It's only money - and it's not ours. There are people at the club whose job it is to look after such mundane details, but like with anything else, the amateurs like to think that they know more than the professionals.

The professionals who spent 3/4/5 million plus on Blackman, Butterfield, Anya Johnson etc plus offered massive contracts to the likes of Thorne,Martin and Forsyth whilst injured or out on loan and have not been worth a fraction of it since. It’s not my money but it is my club, so I won’t apologise for worrying about its future 

9 minutes ago, eddie said:

I don’t think it’s about “knowing more”, not at all.

Given what’s happened at Portsmouth, Blackpool, Leeds, Birmingham...hell, even us enough times in our history (!!!), is it really that surprising that some take an interest in the financial side with a view to our long term future?

I wouldn’t mock fans who worry. Legitimate fear put into the minds of football fans by many crooks. Our owner isn’t one, but some very honest owners have found their passion in ruins in the end. I think Mel Morris is far too shrewd to let that happen but I would never blame anyone for having concerns.

The details don’t seem very mundane to many non-League fans, or Pompey fans, or Orient fans when you’re threatened with embargos, points deductions or even threats to your existence.

With those stories in mind some fans are always going to want to take a passing interest in their clubs’ accounts.

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

With those stories in mind some fans are always going to want to take a passing interest in their clubs’ accounts.

Well if they bothered to look at the accounts, and actually UNDERSTAND what it is they're reading, then they'd know that (as of 31 May 2017) the football club remains debt-free.

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Well if they bothered to look at the accounts, and actually UNDERSTAND what it is they're reading, then they'd know that (as of 31 May 2017) the football club remains debt-free.

How's the FFP then mate?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

How's the FFP then mate?

I wouldn't know, but trust the club's (Mel's) constant stance that we support the FFP rule and fully adhere to it. They've not let us down so far.

I only concern myself once a year with how the balance sheet looks. Healthy balance sheet = healthy club.

There is ‘legitimate fear’ and there is ‘morbid speculation’.  I recognise that there are lots of examples of clubs that have struggled financially and should be seen as cautionary tales.  However, there are zero signs that we are in such trouble (here I differentiate between FFP issues and true financial problems... we can be close to or in breach of FFP without being in any danger at all of true financial difficulties). The consequence of breaching FFP doesn’t necessarily lead to doom either really, does it?.  

If **** happens, it happens. Let’s worry about it then.  Until that point, let’s enjoy these interesting times.

15 minutes ago, Doodle said:

The professionals who spent 3/4/5 million plus on Blackman, Butterfield, Anya Johnson etc plus offered massive contracts to the likes of Thorne,Martin and Forsyth whilst injured or out on loan and have not been worth a fraction of it since. It’s not my money but it is my club, so I won’t apologise for worrying about its future 

Woe, woe and thrice woe.

4 minutes ago, LazloW said:

If **** happens, it happens. Let’s worry about it then.  Until that point, let’s enjoy these interesting times.

It's easier to enjoy these interesting times if it looks like we're steering a good course.

I had little doubt that Vydras sale would finance a lot of this seasons early transfer activity, but it's always good to have confirmation.

I see little point in fetching the calculator out the drawer unless you know what numbers to punch in.

Manager compensation, sell on fees, up front transfer fees, addons, loan fees, wages, bonuses it's all undisclosed. 

I can understand why fans take an interest in the accounts, but until they are available in companies house a year later you're working with guesstimates based on speculation and video games (wages). 

We may as well bend over and ask each number to pull a number out and divide it by two, could actually be more accurate.

2 minutes ago, David said:

I see little point in fetching the calculator out the drawer unless you know what numbers to punch in.

Manager compensation, sell on fees, up front transfer fees, addons, loan fees, wages, bonuses it's all undisclosed. 

I can understand why fans take an interest in the accounts, but until they are available in companies house a year later you're working with guesstimates based on speculation and video games (wages). 

We may as well bend over and ask each number to pull a number out and divide it by two, could actually be more accurate.

I've never seen a number pulling a number out. Sounds fun.

1 minute ago, David said:

Whilst that’s true, you can work out roughly your club’s net spend. Just need to allow a few million either way.

For example, we know that after selling Vydra, our net spend will be closer to 0 than it was before. 

31 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Whilst that’s true, you can work out roughly your club’s net spend. Just need to allow a few million either way.

For example, we know that after selling Vydra, our net spend will be closer to 0 than it was before. 

A few million either way could be the difference of an embargo and not though, at which point fans could whip themselves into a frenzy over nothing. 

Absolutely nothing out there with regards to Vydra's fee, not one outlet is willing to take a guess so far, £11m was thrown around the press when Leeds were interested, did we get more as he's gone to the Premier League, or was it less as Burnley knew we wanted rid and the window closing?

Obviously we got some money so yeah, we will be closer to that £0 net spend, but by how much we will never know unless you're able to find out what the compensation was for Rowett, how much wages we've saved from departures, what the new players are on, what the upfront fee was.

MacAnthony laughed off the figures in the press for Marriott fee, is he lying to save face or did we pay a lot more?

Blah, so many numbers to get this calculation, as I say, can't see the point myself until the accounts are filed with Companies House.

There is absolutely no point in people worrying about FFP at this point in time.

31st May is the Company year end and only at that date/time will the figures show a profit or loss that may involve FFP.

My understanding is we could spend as much as we want now, say £100m, if necessary, as long as we recouped enough

in the January window so as not to breach FFP come 31st May. 

Archived