Craig Bryson - ‘PROMOTION WITH THE RAMS WOULD BE THE PINNACLE FOR ME’

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

when you see how we've messed chris martin about i don't think we can begrudge a player wanting to hear what another club had to say.

You could argue Martin has done alright out of being “messed” about, bagged himself a pay rise with less work, wouldn’t turn your nose up at that would you?

Pearson didn’t want him, we loaned him out.

We changed our manager, McClaren wanted him back.

Cushty new contract.

McClaren gone.

Rowett took a look, didn’t like what he saw, went back on loan again.

Its not like just one manager has had him doing the hokey cokey, as a professional footballer I’m sure Martin is well aware of how the game works, one manager might fancy you, the next doesn’t, it happens.

When Lampard walked through the door, every single player in the squad would be questioning am I still wanted. 

Let’s not forget that Martin could have chose to stay put, refused to go out on loan and carried on training trying to impress, there was no torture chamber and toes broken one by one until he signed.

Martin has been unlucky, but wouldn’t say messed about. When we offered him a new contract I doubt the bullets were already being loaded on his job. poo happens. 

If we didn't want martin then we should have let him go to fulham where he fitted in nicely. Having Then decided we did want him afterall we then got him to try and help us force a return in jan prior to the end of his loan. That really messed it up for him and fulhsm, and then we spat him out again.

Funny how some demand total loyalty to the extent that a player shouldn't even want to talk to another club, but we can do whatever we like, when we like. In brysons case some even begrudge him the contract we offered and he accepted.

28 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

I don’t get the love fest for Bryson, he had one good season, he scored a hatrick against the red dogs, that gives him a place in the history books but doesn’t give him legendary status.

other than that he has had a few average seasons.

he is obviously trying to work hard to get back into the team and that is to be comended but he is another one of yesterday’s heroes !

Has he refused to sign a shirt too mate? ?

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

If we didn't want martin then we should have let him go to fulham where he fitted in nicely. Having Then decided we did want him afterall we then got him to try and help us force a return in jan prior to the end of his loan. That really messed it up for him and fulhsm, and then we spat him out again.

Funny how some demand total loyalty to the extent that a player shouldn't even want to talk to another club, but we can do whatever we like, when we like. In brysons case some even begrudge him the contract we offered and he accepted.

Perhaps we'd have been promoted last season.

11 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Martin could have said look Steve, I’m on loan at Fulham till the end of the season, yes I’m interested in coming back if you want me but let’s wait until the summer and we’ll talk about it then. 

That could have gone two ways

1) Well Chris if you don’t commit to us now just stay at Fulham

or

2) Ok, we’ll talk soon at which point McClaren would have left and Martin may have though I’ll just stay here.

He played a part in this, let’s not make out he’s been hard done by and isn’t better off financially out of this.

20 minutes ago, David said:

He played a part in this, let’s not make out he’s been hard done by and isn’t better off financially out of this.

Martin said (whilst at Fulham) all he wanted was to get a contract and commitment - we gave him that, Fulham could have but didn't.

27 minutes ago, David said:

Martin could have said look Steve, I’m on loan at Fulham till the end of the season, yes I’m interested in coming back if you want me but let’s wait until the summer and we’ll talk about it then. 

or

2) Ok, we’ll talk soon at which point McClaren would have left and Martin may have though I’ll just stay here.

I get where you're coming from but it's not quite as straight forward as that. It can't have been easy making the decision to be at the opposite end of the country to his family. That to me shows the desire to play is much stronger than any lucrative contract. Surely the easy decision was to stay put and just keep collecting his wages knowing full well he'd not play much. A lot of mercenary players are quite happy to do that. I just hope that FL can find a way to utilise his skill set if not I think he can move on with his head held high. 

5 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I get where you're coming from but it's not quite as straight forward as that. It can't have been easy making the decision to be at the opposite end of the country to his family. That to me shows the desire to play is much stronger than any lucrative contract. Surely the easy decision was to stay put and just keep collecting his wages knowing full well he'd not play much. A lot of mercenary players are quite happy to do that. I just hope that FL can find a way to utilise his skill set if not I think he can move on with his head held high. 

I’m sure it can’t, but this is the career they signed up to and paid handsomely for. Mason Mount is just a kid and spent an entire season in another country away from friends and family, now he’s closer to home but it’s not down the road either.

Wilson as well, Liverpool to Hull, to Liverpool now Derby.

You have to be prepared to move or be extremely lucky to be a one club man like Giggs.

Martin went, I applaud him for doing so, as you say some would sit on their arse. But as I say Martin has been extremely unlucky given the changes of manager, I just won’t be getting the violin out. 

6 minutes ago, David said:

You have to be prepared to move or be extremely lucky to be a one club man like Giggs.

He was prepared to move, but there was obviously supposed to be a contract at the end of the loan. You really aren't much on anything but money are you David.

58 minutes ago, David said:

or

he could have done. But he didn't. Presumably because like bryson he preferred to play for Derby.

how you know what deal he got and whether he's better off financially? What were fulham prepared to pay?

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

he could have done. But he didn't. Presumably because like bryson he preferred to play for Derby.

how you know what deal he got and whether he's better off financially? What were fulham prepared to pay?

No contract was agreed with Fulham. He signed a new contract with Derby, do you think that would have been for less money?

I’ve mentioned no numbers, but it would be naive to think he wasn’t given a better deal to stay. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

I’m sure it can’t, but this is the career they signed up to and paid handsomely for. Mason Mount is just a kid and spent an entire season in another country away from friends and family, now he’s closer to home but it’s not down the road either.

Wilson as well, Liverpool to Hull, to Liverpool now Derby.

Martin went, I applaud him for doing so, as you say some would sit on their arse. But as I say Martin has been extremely unlucky given the changes of manager, I just won’t be getting the violin out. 

I agree that he's been unfortunate to find himself in the situation he's in. We as a club haven't really messed him about. He's been messed about by two managers that are one dimensional in their approach to the game. His Derby career is at a crossroad for sure and has been for a while. Admittedly my judgement of the situation is clouded by my fondness of the intelligent way he plays the game. He just needs to get back playing wherever that may be. A settled Chris Martin is an asset to any team in this division.

27 minutes ago, David said:

No contract was agreed with Fulham. He signed a new contract with Derby, do you think that would have been for less money?

I’ve mentioned no numbers, but it would be naive to think he wasn’t given a better deal to stay. 

It's naive to believe that having a settled family in derby doesn't have it's draw too.....like bryson,he also appears to really want to play for derby too (especially under a creative manager)and he should be applauded for his loyalty in that respect.

Derby seems you've that effect of many players from the 2013/14 era....Jamie ward had to be pulled kicking and screaming from the dressing room when he was moved out.

Lampard seems to be already having sort of effect.

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's naive to believe that having a settled family in derby doesn't have it's draw too.....like bryson,he also appears to really want to play for derby too (especially under a creative manager)and he should be applauded for his loyalty in that respect.

Derby seems you've that effect of many players from the 2013/14 era....Jamie ward had to be pulled kicking and screaming from the dressing room when he was moved out.

Lampard seems to be already having sort of effect.

Kash, where have I said it doesn’t? You’re trying to argue a point with me which I haven’t even made. Of course a settled family has it’s pull, kids in local schools etc. You could probably find a bunch of transfer topics which I’ve said as much myself.

What I pulled RamNut up on was the we’ve “messed” him about.

As a professional footballer Chris Martin will be more than aware of how the game works and that he may have to move clubs, sometimes at short notice to the other side of the country, it’s part of the job. Norwich, Luton, Crystal Palace, Swindon, Derby, Fulham, Reading all in the space of 12 years.

He has been unlucky with the managerial changes at the club which have seen him leave on loan, although was rewarded with a new contract during the process which would leave him financially better off, yes there is more to life than money, but I won’t be getting the violin out for Chris despite having very fond memories of his time at Derby.

18 minutes ago, David said:

What I pulled RamNut up on was the we’ve “messed” him about.

As a professional footballer Chris Martin will be more than aware of how the game works and that he may have to move clubs, sometimes at short notice to the other side of the country...but I won’t be getting the violin out for Chris despite having very fond memories of his time at Derby.

When you listened to his RamsTV interviews at the start of last season he tries to explain what a strange previous season it had been - unusual things had occurred. So aware of how the game works or not, something unexpected happened. So aware of how the game works or not doesn't mean you have to be happy with it or want it.

You won't get the violin out for him, but lots of fans have - there's more to football than money.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

When you listened to his RamsTV interviews at the start of last season he tries to explain what a strange previous season it had been - unusual things had occurred. So aware of how the game works or not, something unexpected happened. So aware of how the game works or not doesn't mean you have to be happy with it or want it.

You won't get the violin out for him, but lots of fans have - there's more to football than money.

I’m sure Mel on the blower to Frank telling him he’s moving to Derbados and to bring his Mrs and bump with him having just returned to London from New York via a year in Manchester was unexpected. That’s football!

Londoner with 19 years playing career down there with a year out for good behaviour in Swansea in the middle, talk about Martin being settled, that must have been some decision to make, but that’s football!

If you’re getting the violin out, may as well get the whole band out as I’ve got a load of sob stories that will give you sleepless nights with the noise.

Nick Blackman, joins the club only for the manager to get the boot a month later, goes and fluffs a shot, does his back in and wakes up in Israel for the year. Sounds like one of those stag nights gone wrong.

1 minute ago, David said:

I’m sure Mel on the blower to Frank telling him he’s moving to Derbados and to bring his Mrs and bump with him having just returned to London from New York via a year in Manchester was unexpected. That’s football!

YOU might be sure, but actually you don't KNOW - unless Mel has confessed all to you? ?

Archived