At the club now

archied

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Still a No.9 away from being genuine promotion contenders, at the moment. 

If we manage to bring in Marriott or Abraham, I’ll get a ticket for the hype train. 

I’ll get the number.

I’m absolutely buzzing right now. We’ve just signed two loans who could potentially rip up this league, one in Mason Mount who is one of the major talents in England. 

Not getting carried away with the hype...yet, we still need more or we need to see how Frank gets a tune out of Martin and our own youngsters, but make no mistake these are real positive moves and by the end of the window, I think we’ll have a team we can really excited about that will compete this season.

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

We are absolutely a promotion squad 

we finished sixth playing negative non running football 

we have a very good goalkeeper a very good back 4 with two youngsters pushing the full backs with a ball playing dcm in Huddlestone with thorne and ledley as cover 

midfield now has mount and Bryson to cover the ground and create chances with Elsnick Butterfield and Johnson to assist as well 

we have youth and energy out wide in Wilson Thomas Lawrence and Bennett 

in the middle we have Vydra Martin Jerome nugent Blackman to chose from 

we 100% have a promotion squad but never the less it’s going to be very exciting watching especially compared to last season 

I’m afraid I don’t even think we have a top 10 squad. Rowett pulled off a minor miracle getting this lot into the top 6. His style of horrible defensive hoofball actually suited a lot of our players.

Assuming Lampard wants to play an entertaining freeflowing style then we’re miles off.

Our fullbacks are really poor going forward. We’ve got a solid defence which can repell attacks, that’s about it.

In midfield we’re still lumped with a bunch of ageing cloggers. All well and good for those that just sit infront of the back four in a deep block and hoof it into the channels. But with a change in style, if players like Hendrick struggled at the freeflowing stuff and off the ball movement, what do you reckon to Bradders, Hudds, Ledley, Butters and Thorne. They’re all painfully slow and have zero movement and zero attacking threat.

And as for the wide players. Lawrence is crap. Bennett is worse. 

We’re seemingly now pinning our hopes on two loan players and youths. That’s not enough.

We could have just signed Mbappe and Modric on loan and we still wouldn’t have a promotion squad.

14 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’m afraid I don’t even think we have a top 10 squad. Rowett pulled off a minor miracle getting this lot into the top 6. His style of horrible defensive hoofball actually suited a lot of our players.

Assuming Lampard wants to play an entertaining freeflowing style then we’re miles off.

Our fullbacks are really poor going forward. We’ve got a solid defence which can repell attacks, that’s about it.

In midfield we’re still lumped...zzz

...damn I fell asleep at "lumped".

Did I miss anything?

20 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

In midfield we’re still lumped with a bunch of ageing cloggers. All well and good for those that just sit infront of the back four in a deep block and hoof it into the channels. But with a change in style, if players like Hendrick struggled at the freeflowing stuff and off the ball movement, what do you reckon to Bradders, Hudds, Ledley, Butters and Thorne. They’re all painfully slow and have zero movement and zero attacking threat.

And as for the wide players. Lawrence is crap. Bennett is worse. 

We’re seemingly now pinning our hopes on two loan players and youths. That’s not enough.

We could have just signed Mbappe and Modric on loan and we still wouldn’t have a promotion squad.

bloody hell m8 want the number of Samaritains?

I seem to remember Martin being very effective when he had runners from midfield and pace and intelligence around him. Why can’t he be as effective again now he is reunited with Bryson and has the opportunity to play with Lawrence, Wilson and Mount?

I too would like a new CF - but if we don’t move anyone out (and therefore don’t bring anyone in) I still think we have a squad here capable of pushing for the playoffs, if not the top two.

I fully believe we have a squad capable of promotion at the club...but we also have some deadwood ontop of that squad.

if we were able to shift the people FL&JM don’t see a role for and replace with someone young and hungry (maybe from our academy) that would leave us with a squad capable, let alone if we replaced with a player like Marriott or Abraham 

I said a while ago during the beginning of the traditional drop in form Feb/April under GR we talked about the strength of our squad. While there was a lot of doom and gloom, I tried to be upbeat and was keen to drive home my belief that we had a goodish squad and we only really needed 2/3 good signings to take us to the next level. The problem we had was the way GR had us playing. Credit where its due his players bought into this and followed the manager and coaching staffs philosophy. You have to say that's good management to have a team follow you "into battle". 

Legs in midfield and a skillful direct winger were two positions we desperately needed. We now have both. If we can get one more quality centre forward I think we could be lethal. When you think we've already upgraded from Weimann to Wilson on the wing and you've got Bennett and Thomas, two hungry talented wingers off the bench it bodes well! I'm not completely sold on Bennett but he still hasn't been given a real chance which I am keen to see. I do think he has the potential and he can be a real asset off the bench. 

I also like the fact that each winger/attacking mid is different. Going back towards the Mac 1 model of play with the wingers is really encouraging. 

Legs have been added to the midfield now two fold. If we can get Bryson back to his best that's like a new signing. 

If we can shift Anya, Johnson, Butterfield, Olsson, Hanson, Blackman, Martin (cried typing his name then), Nugent possibly as well we will balance the books. 

There is no doubt we need to trim the squad but if we are looking at our 11 + subs on the day I think we are in a very good position! 

Archived