At the club now

archied

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still need a striker in my opinion to suit Lampard’s high energy tactics. As good as Mount and Wilson are, we still need a striker who can put the ball in the back of the net whether that is Marriot or someone else. I don’t think that Vydra, Martin, Nugent or Jerome are ideal for this team. They are good players in their own rights if the team is set up to their strengths though.

Shame that Winnall suffered his injury because he might have been cheap but ideal to suit this team.

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Still need a striker in my opinion to suit Lampard’s high energy tactics. 

Lamps has said he'll be playing more than one formation - so we'll have to wait and see. TBH I'd rather sign a good young centre half.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lamps has said he'll be playing more than one formation - so we'll have to wait and see. TBH I'd rather sign a good young centre half.

He will have his ‘go to’ formation though. All of our previous managers Rowett, Clement, McClaren and Pearson said that they would use different formations and tactics but they still ended up having their preferred formations that they used most of the time. Whilst a young centre back would be nice, we are pretty sorted in that position with Keogh, Davies and Pearce , whilst Wisdom, Forsyth and Huddlestone can play there in ‘emergencies’

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

He will have his ‘go to’ formation though. All of our previous managers Rowett, Clement, McClaren and Pearson said that they would use different formations and tactics but they still ended up having their preferred formations that they used most of the time. Whilst a young centre back would be nice, we are pretty sorted in that position with Keogh, Davies and Pearce , whilst Wisdom, Forsyth and Huddlestone can play there in ‘emergencies’

Who's to say that Frank and Morris can't get Vydra to play the way they want? He's still pretty young and able to adapt.

It’s a real interesting one with loan players and injuries like Thorne comming back I look at the squad with these two additions of youth ,energy and quality and think bloody hell its quite a squad , they are certainly bang on what we needed adding

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Who's to say that Frank and Morris can't get Vydra to play the way they want? He's still pretty young and able to adapt.

Hope you’re right but I can’t see it myself as everywhere he has been in his career he has been poor when teams aren’t built to play him as a number 10(Reading, West Brom, Derby under McClaren). McClaren is a fantastic coach and tried Vydra all across the front 3 but it didn’t work unfortunately. If McClaren couldn’t get the best out of him when we played a 4-3-3 then I have my doubts that we will under the current regime.  We appear to be moving away from the 4-2-3-1 and I can’t see where Vydra fits in a front 3 unfortunately.

2 hours ago, archied said:

A squad capable of promotion?

a squad capable of entertaining and exciting?

Still a No.9 away from being genuine promotion contenders, at the moment. 

If we manage to bring in Marriott or Abraham, I’ll get a ticket for the hype train. 

2 hours ago, archied said:

A squad capable of promotion?

a squad capable of entertaining and exciting?

Probably not a promotion squad due to lack of funds.

Entertaining? Hopefully but that has to be coupled with winning more games than we lose. 

2 minutes ago, europia said:

Probably not a promotion squad due to lack of funds.

Entertaining? Hopefully but that has to be coupled with winning more games than we lose. 

Read the original post and he asks if we have a squad capable of promotion at the club now. How does a lack of funds change that?

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Read the original post and he asks if we have a squad capable of promotion at the club now. How does a lack of funds change that?

EDIT:

Probably not a promotion squad. 

You don't know until it's all put together.

Don't go all Notts Forest

Yes, it was too early to write the season off yesterday and it's also too early to win the league.

We have a young hungry team developing who are trying to carve a path in the football world. They'll play for a manager who wants them to express themselves and be brave. A manager that's going to give us a great deal of exposure. He's a bigger name than our club. 

I get the excitement but that gives birth to expectation so while it may be a bit of a killjoy now to pop the promotion balloon it also means that nobody will be calling for Lamps head when we show some naive play that costs us. 

We are absolutely a promotion squad 

we finished sixth playing negative non running football 

we have a very good goalkeeper a very good back 4 with two youngsters pushing the full backs with a ball playing dcm in Huddlestone with thorne and ledley as cover 

midfield now has mount and Bryson to cover the ground and create chances with Elsnick Butterfield and Johnson to assist as well 

we have youth and energy out wide in Wilson Thomas Lawrence and Bennett 

in the middle we have Vydra Martin Jerome nugent Blackman to chose from 

we 100% have a promotion squad but never the less it’s going to be very exciting watching especially compared to last season 

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Still need a striker in my opinion to suit Lampard’s high energy tactics. As good as Mount and Wilson are, we still need a striker who can put the ball in the back of the net whether that is Marriot or someone else. I don’t think that Vydra, Martin, Nugent or Jerome are ideal for this team. They are good players in their own rights if the team is set up to their strengths though.

Shame that Winnall suffered his injury because he might have been cheap but ideal to suit this team.

Mount and wilson will score  a few goals but they will create some too.. will our over thirties be enough? Martin Nuge and jerome? Plus Vydra and Lawrence. There should be some goals between them altho maybe the balance wouldnt be quite right. 

Archived