Bloated Squad?

DCFC1388

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Don't think Huddlestone will be playing CDM will he? Is that where he played against Notts County?

He's not good enough as a defensive cover to play there on his own - Would imagine he'll be further forward with Ledley/Thorne/Hanson behind him

In a 433 the only place Huddlestone can play is as the deeper lying central player. He just hasn't got the legs to be play in the other midfield spots. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Carnero said:

I'd rather keep Butterfield now we're passing the ball again, and Johnson is more likely to attract interest from fellow Championship clubs at a reasonable fee (say £2m)

Agreed. If we are going back to playing a more possession based style of play, then Johnson should be moved on. 

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

In a 433 the only place Huddlestone can play is as the deeper lying central player. He just hasn't got the legs to be play in the other midfield spots. 

I disagree - He's not pacey but he's not unfit either - He played almost every minute of last season - And you don't always need 2 box to box players in that formation (depending on the style of play)

If your CF is dropping off for runners in behind you don't want both your CMs bombing on otherwise you're left exposed - No reason not to play a destroyer, a creator and a runner in midfield

The big question is - How do you fit all of Ledley, Huddlestone, Bryson and Mount into the same side?

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

I disagree - He's not pacey but he's not unfit either - He played almost every minute of last season - And you don't always need 2 box to box players in that formation (depending on the style of play)

If your CF is dropping off for runners in behind you don't want both your CMs bombing on otherwise you're left exposed - No reason not to play a destroyer, a creator and a runner in midfield

The big question is - How do you fit all of Ledley, Huddlestone, Bryson and Mount into the same side?

Whilst you don't need them to both to be box to box you do need them to be mobile and able to cover ground especially if the your plan is aggressive press off the ball. A good example is obviously Hughes, who wasn't a box to box player but had the mobility to get around the park and provide energy in midfield. 

I feel that if you set up with Hudds anywhere other than sat in front of the defence in that system, we'd look laboured and flat footed in midfield. 

I agree that you don't won't both players bombing on but if you creator is playing one of the more advanced roles they are ideally someone more of the Hughes mould than Hudds. 

On your final point, the truth is you don't fit them all into the same side. You pick who you feel who in combination gives the most to the team.

With a squad that size keeping everyone happy will be a nightmare. Even a seasoned battle hardened manager would struggle. Good luck Frank!

The issue for me is as other have said there is no visible demand for any of the players we would possibly let go.

Personally could see us wanting something like the following to happen:

Forsyth sold or Lowe loan - Dasilva (loan)

Pearce sold - Free CB in (Huth/Terry?)

Ledley sold or Thorne loan

Hanson loan

Butterfield sold or loan - Palmer (loan)

Johnson sold or Elsnik loan

Blackman sold or loan - Jozefzoon (buy)

Anya sold or loan

Bennett or Thomas loan

Vydra sold - Marriott (buy)

Nugent sold or loan

Martin sold or loan - Abraham (loan)

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Definitely keep Thorne. If we are going to play with attacking midfielders and pass the ball it will suit him.

Let him sit in the defensive role, do the simple stuff like he did before.

The same George Thorne that's 48 stone and made of the thinnest piece of glass ever made. Bore Off. He's never gonna be the player that he was in 13/14, get rid.

35 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

The same George Thorne that's 48 stone and made of the thinnest piece of glass ever made. Bore Off. He's never gonna be the player that he was in 13/14, get rid.

Bore off! What does that mean? Are you 5?

59 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

With a squad that size keeping everyone happy will be a nightmare. Even a seasoned battle hardened manager would struggle. Good luck Frank!

The issue for me is as other have said there is no visible demand for any of the players we would possibly let go.

I would have thought that any we haven’t sold by the end of the window will go out on loan, even if we have to pay a chunk of their wages. Think it would be better than having disgruntled players around the place.

40 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

Calm down, dear.

Nobody was more frustrated with me how he came back last season seemingly 2 stone overweight and to have lost his touch, there are a good 8-10 players I'd like us to shift before him, though.

With all the time & money invested in him so far, with 2 long lay-offs, IMO we should at least give him the chance to show he's back to his old self before binning him.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Calm down, dear.

Nobody was more frustrated with me how he came back last season seemingly 2 stone overweight and to have lost his touch, there are a good 8-10 players I'd like us to shift before him, though.

With all the time & money invested in him so far, with 2 long lay-offs, IMO we should at least give him the chance to show he's back to his old self before binning him.

How many more chances is he going to get though? 

This was his last one for me and he's injured in the first game of pre season..

One of the best players I've seen as a Derby fan but next to no football in 5 years, he's not gonna be the same player again.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I really hope Elsnik becomes a first-team fixture this season. My choice of those to try to move on would be:

Mitchell, Hanson, Pearce, Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman, Jerome

but as has been said, it depends if anyone wants them. Butterfield has the technique to fit into a skillful passing midfield, and could flourish under Lampard, but as we'e already seen the club has become quite toxic for him and I wouldn't want him to be an obstacle to bringing through some of the other players.

Pearce? 

Leaves us with Keogh, Davies and Hanson for CB Huddlestone at a push? Alright for covering 1 or 2 games but if Keogh or Davies were to sustain a lengthy injury I'd rather have Pearce coming in.

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

Bore Off ha. Brilliant response when someone says something you don't agree with.

At least come up with something constructive, is he 48 stone? No...., Prior to his broken leg (someone broke it BTW with a rash challenge, it didn't just fall apart you know) he played more games in midfield that season than any other midfielder in our squad.

Last season he was played in a formation that doesn't suit him.

I personally believe Rowett hung him out to dry after the Sunderland game, just like he tried to do with Keogh. We have given him a new contract, lets see how he gets on this season. That's my opinion BTW, yours is clearly different, feel free to disagree with anything I say, we are after all entitled to our opinions which is all they are , I won't feel the need to respond with childish and exaggerated statements to justify my opinion.

7 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Knew I missed some one from centre mid.

I agree either Thorne out on loan or Ledley permanent. Personally i'd rather keep Johnson over Butterfield then agree with the rest although I think it's one of Nugent / Martin, or if both go get 1 in on loan (Abraham) then if Vydra goes we replace him (Marriott).

Will be interesting to see if we are still in for Jozefzoon, if so I'd think Blackman or Anya are close to leaving. Could see 1 of Bennett or Thomas going on loan too.

Bennett and Thomas going Nowhere on loan. 

17 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Last season he was played in a formation that doesn't suit him.

I personally believe Rowett hung him out to dry after the Sunderland game, just like he tried to do with Keogh. 

This.

C'mon Gorgeous!

Archived