Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There is money - but only if we sell to buy it appears . 13.1 mil raised in transfers + 2 mil for rowett and probably 2.5 mil from Inces sale I assume as he's left Huddersfield. That's 17.6 million .  We've spent 5.7-6.7 so far depending on what report you believe with maybe another 1 mil tied in to Marriotts transfer .  I imagine there may be a loan fee for mount and Wilson - lets say 1.5 at the extreme = 9.2 mil used .  This indicates we have the 8 million required to sign Waghorn if that's whats needed.

or Perhaps we could have kept Vydra, made up the 2- 2.5 million elsewhere and had forward line to terrify the division

Should have kept Vydra. He is a known quantity and can score freely. Whatever system we play, give him the ball and he will score.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Should have kept Vydra. He is a known quantity and can score freely. Whatever system we play, give him the ball and he will score.

As long as the system has him as a 10/second striker. He's shown he can't play as a lone striker or a winger/inside forward.

Just now, Rampage said:

That's not true, really.

In his perfect system, last season, he scored a goal every 1.4 games (in minutes played, not appearances).

Last season for us, he scored a goal every 4.1 games.

The season before that, in the Championship for Reading he scored a goal every 7.8 games.

He is incredibly system dependent. And completely disappears once he's short on confidence if he has a run without scoring, forcing the manager to drop him - as Rowett did towards the end of the season. 

5 minutes ago, Rampage said:

How many goals and assists does Waghorn. Need to justify his purchase? 30?

Vydra's goals + assists last season was 25.

Waghorn is unlikely to cost half what we sell Vydra for, but lets imagine the fee is the £8m - that's 73% of Vydra's reported £11m.

Therefore Waghorn needs (if you want to boil this down to straight numbers, which probably isnt the thing to do) to get a combined Goals + Assists of 18.25, so we'll say 19. To justify his purchase.

Just now, Dale The Ram said:

I will not be very impressed if we pay £8m for him especially as I think Martin is the better player

I think we'll move on if we're forced to pay £8m.

The reported figure is £4m + £4m if we get promoted. Which seems more likely, and very reasonable.

If Ipswich hold out for more, we'll move on.

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

That's not true, really.

In his perfect system, last season, he scored a goal every 1.4 games (in minutes played, not appearances).

Last season for us, he scored a goal every 4.1 games.

The season before that, in the Championship for Reading he scored a goal every 7.8 games.

He is incredibly system dependent. And completely disappears once he's short on confidence if he has a run without scoring, forcing the manager to drop him - as Rowett did towards the end of the season. 

It is true that if you get he ball to him he will Score. If you do not then he will Not. 

Frank will. Not play a cast in stone System

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

It is true that if you get he ball to him he will Score. If you do not then he will Not. 

Frank will. Not play a cast in stone System

Frank wont, because he's selling him. 

Do we know if there's any real substance to the rumour that we're after Waghorn? - could have just been a ruse to make the Peterborough owner be a bit more flexible on the Marriott deal - or maybe a fall back if we didn't get Marriott...

Just now, Gaspode said:

Do we know if there's any real substance to the rumour that we're after Waghorn? - could have just been a ruse to make the Peterborough owner be a bit more flexible on the Marriott deal - or maybe a fall back if we didn't get Marriott...

Do we KNOW? No.

But the reports when the Waghorn interest was announced said that Derby want both, but the Waghorn deal is dependent on the Vydra deal, while the Marriott deal will get completed before. 

The last part was true. Yet to see if the first part is. 

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Vydra's goals + assists last season was 25.

Waghorn is unlikely to cost half what we sell Vydra for, but lets imagine the fee is the £8m - that's 73% of Vydra's reported £11m.

Therefore Waghorn needs (if you want to boil this down to straight numbers, which probably isnt the thing to do) to get a combined Goals + Assists of 18.25, so we'll say 19. To justify his purchase.

Fair comment. 19 it is then. 

How many games will he Play? 

Marriott and Waghorn. Will. Not. Play that. Many. Games together in a. 433. 

Will he play 23 full games? Marriott and him will play 60 on and 30 off to run Teams Ragged. 

24 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Fair comment. 19 it is then. 

How many games will he Play? 

Marriott and Waghorn. Will. Not. Play that. Many. Games together in a. 433. 

Will he play 23 full games? Marriott and him will play 60 on and 30 off to run Teams Ragged. 

I. Read that. In William. Shatner's. Voice.

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Waghorn's stats from last season are excellent, but we all saw from Lawrence how easy it is to look good for Ipswich and yet not very good in a better team. 

No issue in bringing him on board, but £8 million for a 27-year-old who has had as many average seasons as he has good? Has a touch of the Johnson/Butterfields to me. 

Give it a rest with Lawrence...

25 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Because you're only allowed to use 11 players during the entire season...

No, you can use more than 11 players (thought you would have known that??)...my point was who will miss out initially.....

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

No, you can use more than 11 players (thought you would have known that??)...my point was who will miss out initially.....

Doesnt matter who will miss out initially, its a 46 game season with plenty of midweek games and players will pick injuries & suspensions. Also, with the way we are likely to play with the high & fast press I can see 2 of the front 3 subbed each game and the wingers probably rotated to keep them all fresh. Cant rely on just a set 3 to do the business, thats where we went wrong last season with Vydra, nobody else contributed enough towards the goals

Archived