Fancy Dress

Wolfie

Never done it. Not by choice anyway:

I do remember being blacked up & dressed as a Gollywog (imagine the headlines if that happened now!) for a village carnival for the jubilee in 1977. I was 4 and cried the whole time, presumably because of my disgust over the appalling racial connotations.....or maybe the wig was a bit itchy.

Anyway, we're going to an 80's weekend in September & are needing original ideas for fancy dress - ideally for 4 people (2 men, 2 women).

The wives came up with Bucks Fizz at the weekend but we blokes aren't too keen on that.

My best attempt so far is Blackadder, with Queenie, Nursie, Blackadder and one of Percy or Lord Flashheart but I think they'd be too elaborate, and hot to wear all night.

The other guy thinks Top Gun but apparently there are loads of them at these do's.

Open to suggestions.......

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

My suggestion is if it's fancy dress, don't go.

It's the worst possible way to spend your own free time - Proving what a 'fun' character you are by dressing up like a twit.

...and that's why I haven't done it in the last 41 years. Unfortunately this time it has all been booked & arranged several months ago & I found out about it last weekend ?

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Yeah. Top Gun is very common.

Baywatch is good for a giggle.

Ghostbusters?

Wham!  Big baggy GoGo Tshirts all round?

I don't think the ladies would go for the red swimsuit thing. Unless of course we reverse it - the women wear white teeshirt & red shorts & the men wear..............on second thoughts, scrap that.

10 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I don't think the ladies would go for the red swimsuit thing. Unless of course we reverse it - the women wear white teeshirt & red shorts & the men wear..............on second thoughts, scrap that.

Dare you to ask them though...! I'll await your feedback... 

Try and make the least possible amount of effort. Working on the assumption that if you have a massively elaborate costume, it will cost a fortune and take ages to sort out. If you have a boring costume, it will still take effort to sort and will be roundly ignored

But if you barely try at all, at least it will raise a laugh. For example - the last fancy dress party I was invited to was Hallowe'en.

I got a garden glove and gaffa taped 4 dinner knives to ther fingers. Voila! Freddie Krueger

I also taped a tea spoon to the thumb "in case I fancied a yoghurt"

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Moist One said:

@Wolfie can I ask what circumstances this is? You say Weekend. Is it Butlins Skegness?

If it is the theme tends to be more just fancy dress of any type rather than 80's themed.  

1 hour ago, Moist One said:

@Wolfie can I ask what circumstances this is? You say Weekend. Is it Butlins Skegness?

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

If it is the theme tends to be more just fancy dress of any type rather than 80's themed.  

Indeed it is. The girls went last year on their own but they’ve booked for us all this time apparently

39 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Indeed it is. The girls went last year on their own but they’ve booked for us all this time apparently

the fact you're going as couples mean that you can get away with anything as I assume you're not trying to pull. We go as Pimps, Mankinis, Roman Centurions, Navy Seals and in Kilts too.

Archived