World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poland seem to be throwing this Japan game on purpose. Are they bitter over Colombia thrashing them?

Everytime Poland look to get the ball in a good position, they knock it backwards and then back to the goalkeeper again. They don't want to make it obvious, by just allowing Japan to run riot, but this seems poor sportsmanship.

Just now, Wolfie said:

Let's win this group. Japan next.....

Their game seems to have descended into farce

That was utterly bizarre.

They couldnt risk letting Poland have the ball so they wouldnt get a yellow card.

Proves how suboptimal the rule is.

Im with Danny Murphy, make it shots on target.

Isn't it 16 groups of 3 in the 2026 world cup, with only the top team making round 2?

If so at least it'll stop dead final group games, trying to "fix" your route through the latter stages and going out of the tournament based on bloomin yellow cards!

18 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

That was utterly bizarre.

They couldnt risk letting Poland have the ball so they wouldnt get a yellow card.

Proves how suboptimal the rule is.

Im with Danny Murphy, make it shots on target.

As was said on the radio. Columbia could have scored a deliberate own goal. Would have sent Japan out. 

5 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

So England are reportedly making 8 changes tonight. Bit drastic.

Only Pickford, Stones and Lingard keeping their places.

Such a weird situation - the teams we avoid by finishing second are pretty formidable on paper so you can see a logic in throwing the game. I do think we have integrity enough to go out and play but I can see Belgium playing a training match and not having a shot second half unless they're a few goals down. 

I think Gareth has made a sensible choice. Don't risk anyone unnecessarily, but I presume he will tell the one's who do play to make a case for inclusion down the line. Imagine Vardy and Rashford netting goals and the impact they could have off the bench later as a result.

I think we'll only know next game if it worked, you do have to worry about being sluggish.

Personally I would have kept Stirling in and seen if he could break his duck. 

Shades of us v Kuwait in 1982 WC

Personally I think it’s wise on this occasion to give some of the rest of the squad game time. Most of them have played before for the first team and probably have similar appearances so I don’t see it as weakening the team.

and we may need some of them to be match sharp later on (hopefully).

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

As was said on the radio. Columbia could have scored a deliberate own goal. Would have sent Japan out. 

Why would they have done that? They had nothing to gain from knocking Japan out

In fact wouldn't that have seen Senegal finish above them?

Was obvious both sides were going to make a load of changes, like it or not, rightly or wrongly. 

I can understand it, you have momentum v fresher legs, some believe players can play 90 minutes everyday, need to get a proper job but they can’t. Bloody warm out there, night off, I get it, and 2 managers made the same call.

Bit crap on the fans mind you that may have travelled and can only make this game, not like it’s a bunch of duffers out there though.

Archived