World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Professional performance from us.

I thought Panama might frustrate us in the same way they did to Belgium, but scoring inside 10 minutes and with such a easy goal put an end to that. It then had the feel of a World Cup warm up.

We didn’t really get out of first gear but Panama are so inexperienced and there is such a gulf in quality that we were never going to need to.

Strangely enough, I actually thought we played better against Tunisia.

But as most have mentioned, we still have a few gears to find and we will need to from here on out. 

Here we go again! Fans see it as either being rubbish or world beaters - England have only played Tunisia and Panama ffs. At least Southgates' post match interview has put a lid on excessive optimism within the squad - defensively there are still concerns which need to be addressed.

5 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Here we go again! Fans see it as either being rubbish or world beaters - England have only played Tunisia and Panama ffs. At least Southgates' post match interview has put a lid on excessive optimism within the squad - defensively there are still concerns which need to be addressed.

So what? We played once every 4 years in a world cup, it's usually excess doom and gloom? Why shouldn't we get carried away? I don't care who we were against, we should enjoy our biggest ever world cup victory, it's a lot better than being a pessimist. 

It is not advantageous for strong teams to get easy groups, better to have stiff opposition from the start and improve as the tournament continues.  i am quite happy with England going far and perhaps all the way this time, but pragmatism is needed.  Some games will have to be won the physical  and determined way

18 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Cheer up mate.

718fZ0umRZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

21 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

It’s coming home, turn off the lights at work will you.....

7 minutes ago, ramit said:

It is not advantageous for strong teams to get easy groups, better to have stiff opposition from the start and improve as the tournament continues.  i am quite happy with England going far and perhaps all the way this time, but pragmatism is needed.  Some games will have to be won the physical  and determined way

Was saying earlier it's a good job we have a strong team in Belgium to get us prepared for the knockouts.

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

So what? We played once every 4 years in a world cup, it's usually excess doom and gloom? Why shouldn't we get carried away? I don't care who we were against, we should enjoy our biggest ever world cup victory, it's a lot better than being a pessimist. 

Exactly, I’m sick of this negativity. People keep saying we will be exposed against the better teams. Who exactly are the better teams? The Spanish teams who scraped past Iran, the Brazil team who drew against Switzerland , the French team who were lucky against Australia?

There’s no-one in this tournament who England should be scared of. If England continue with this intensity then we will have as great a chance as any other side in this tournament.

Just now, McLovin said:

Exactly, I’m sick of this negativity. People keep saying we will be exposed against the better teams. Who exactly are the better teams? The Spanish teams who scraped past Iran, the Brazil team who drew against Switzerland , the French team who were lucky against Australia?

There’s no-one in this tournament who England should be scared of. If England continue with this intensity then we will have as great a chance as any other side in this tournament.

I'm fed up of people slagging us off ever after our biggest ever win. Who gives a poo if it's Panama? They qualified to the world cup, we can only beat who is in front of us. Only English people can choose to pick out negatives after scoring 6 goals in a world cup match. The Germans scraped a last minute winner against Sweden, do you hear them complaining? Absolutely not. 

3 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Was saying earlier it's a good job we have a strong team in Belgium to get us prepared for the knockouts.

Had to go out early in second half so hadn't read your post.  Yes, Belgium will require higher gears and that's good

28 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

It’s deffo coming home, getting a tattoo of John stones winner at the final this afternoon 

England v Belgium may be a dead rubber game as both teams will want to lose, Martinez has already confirmed he will rest players. The team who finishes 1st will have a harder run looking at the projected ties.  This would be my team, right blend of resting players and giving players minutes for the rest of the tournament

Pickford  

Jones    Stones    Cahill

TAA                 Dier               Rose

Loftus Cheek  Delph

Vardy      Rashford 

Boooo we’ve won the two opening  games.....

Regardless of the opposition, the football we’ve been playing is the best I’ve seen from an England team. That first half was amazing.

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

England v Belgium may be a dead rubber game as both teams will want to lose, Martinez has already confirmed he will rest players. The team who finishes 1st will have a harder run looking at the projected ties.  This would be my team, right blend of resting players and giving players minutes for the rest of the tournament

Pickford  

Jones    Stones    Cahill

TAA                 Dier               Rose

Loftus Cheek  Delph

Vardy      Rashford 

The right blend of resting players is to make 8 changes? Bloody hell.

Archived