World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
9 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Imagine if that happened but the team that turned up didn’t choose to kick off first. They’d have to wait 45 mins to get a kick. 

Plus who would they try and beat up?

9 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Imagine if that happened but the team that turned up didn’t choose to kick off first. They’d have to wait 45 mins to get a kick. 

from the second half they'd stroll into he penalty area and dive.

Whilst clearly a great player and goal scorer, is just me that thinks too much is being made of the number of goals scored by Kane so far? Three have come from penalties and another just hit his heal and he didn't know much about it.

Apart from Tunisia, he's not scoring great goals or even scoring because he's getting in good positions.

This will all change against Sweden when he scores another hat trick - all from open play including at least one real cracker. 

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Whilst clearly a great player and goal scorer, is just me that thinks too much is being made of the number of goals scored by Kane so far? Three have come from penalties and another just hit his heal and he didn't know much about it.

Apart from Tunisia, he's not scoring great goals or even scoring because he's getting in good positions.

This will all change against Sweden when he scores another hat trick - all from open play including at least one real cracker. 

perhaps if he wasn't fouled so much in the penalty area he would have scored those goals from 'open play'?

13 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

6 goals is 6 goals however you get them. Penalty takers often get to the top of the charts, but I think he’s proved he’s by far the best penalty taker we’ve got, so can’t begrudge him that. He’s shown a knack for being in the right place at the right time, that’s the same way lineker won the golden boot. 

People who score screamers from 40 yds aren’t usually people who win golden boots. 

just done some research. In the olden days golden boot winners used to get loads of goals, with the most being 13, and gerd muller getting 10 (although there was one year where 6 people shared it at 4). 

since the 70s though, apart from one year when the original Ronaldo got 8, 6 has always been enough to win it. 

So id say Kane’s got the golden boot in the bag for this tournament if nothing else. He could even go on to get a couple more at this rate and be the highest scorer since Muller. 

If (no counting chickens) we can beat Sweden, then whether we win the semi or not, we’ll have 3 games left in this tournament for him to bag 2 or 3 more. 

14 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

When there was a multi ball mix up, Macguire I think was looking at the wrong ball when young through him the right ball, putting one of their players in to cross to Falcao, I think to score. But the ref almost instantly blew to retake the throw, and everyone but the Colombians stopped. Not an example of unfairness towards them, just another example of the Colombian willingness to cheat, hoping that if they put it in the net, hopefully someone somewhere would rewrite the rules to make it a goal. 

So in the collective hysteria that is Colombia's big baby act, someone putting the ball in the net 5 seconds after the ref has blown his whistle and everyone else has stopped counts as an own goal?

Well boo ducking hoo.

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

There's been pressure on a couple of his penalties. The Colombia penalty was arguably harder than a 1v1 considering he had 3 minutes of daft antics to put up with. At least on a 1v1 you can create an angle. 

I'd like to think penalties are easy but England have seemed to find a way to miss them enough. 

And Derby actually ?

The one off his heel was a bit of a red face goal but the 2 he scored tomorrow against Sweden were nice finishes 

Miroslaw Klose and to a lesser extent Thomas Moeller (spelling?) Have been two of the greatest goalscorers in modern world cup history. Neither of them scored belters and of I'm honest there were a lot of games where they did bigger all and walked off with two goals. They won't give a rat's arse about that in the history books.

They scored goals,  Germany won tournaments.

Harry Kane is a world class finisher. That's all that matters. How he gets his goals doesn't come into it. He gets them.

How many previous tournaments have we lost that kind of game, a game where the opposition had set out to wind us up. Argentina twice, Portugal twice just off the top of my head.

We've had a layer sent off we've had goals disallowed, we've gone out in extra time and on penalties and each and every time we've been guttef at how hard done by we've been and how the dirty cheating foreign bar steward's have done is again.

Not this time around, this time we kept our cool. If we'd have lost that game it would have been a travesty. One shot from forty yards, one corner, one header and 92 minutes of cheating in the most despicable dirty cheating foreign bar stewards way.

Fair play to Gareth Southgate who has absolutely restored my pride in our national team and has reinvented himself as an inspirational leader of men.

Not sure why too many are surpised by Uruguay going out.

I don’t think they’re that good. They scraped qualifying, were fairly average in the group stage and two wonderful Cavani goals aside, Portugal looked the better team and even they aren’t great. 

France are two levels up on Uruguay, and they’ve barely been out of second gear they look so comfortable.

France vs Belgium/Brazil would be a worthy final let alone semi-final.

I’d quite fancy England against Brazil, I think we would exploit their defence. But not France. They look more complete all-round.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’d quite fancy England against Brazil, I think we would exploit their defence. But not France. They look more complete all-round.

Didn't Argentina just score 3 against France? Don't see them as complete as you're saying.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Didn't Argentina just score 3 against France? Don't see them as complete as you're saying.

Don’t think you can quite judge on that. Di Maria’s was a 30-yard wonderstrike, Argentina’s 2nd was a lucky deflection and the 3rd was a wonderful assist from Messi. 

I think France have a little more to their game. They have physicality, speed, mobility in midfield, quality out wide and huge depth with quality in reserve.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Don’t think you can quite judge on that. Di Maria’s was a 30-yard wonderstrike, Argentina’s 2nd was a lucky deflection and the 3rd was a wonderful assist from Messi. 

I think France have a little more to their game. They have physicality, speed, mobility in midfield, quality out wide and huge depth with quality in reserve.

I'm quite cautious about over praising them, because they struggled to open up Australia and Uruguay so far in the tournament, they seem to play better against teams that actually try play against them, rather than the ones that just sit back. 

By the same token of you judging Argentina's goals against France, France today got lucky, and got a set piece. They also played Uruguay who were missing one of their only world class players.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not sure why too many are surpised by Uruguay going out.

I don’t think they’re that good. They scraped qualifying, were fairly average in the group stage and two wonderful Cavani goals aside, Portugal looked the better team and even they aren’t great. 

France are two levels up on Uruguay, and they’ve barely been out of second gear they look so comfortable.

France vs Belgium/Brazil would be a worthy final let alone semi-final.

But that doesn’t make sense because Brazil have only conceded 1 goal in 13 games, whilst France conceded 3 to an average Argentina side.

Archived