What players do think frank lampard and jody morris be looking at from under 23

B4ev6is

4 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well season will be soon be here and frank needs to know what he has got season been over good 3 weeks now.

Pre season isn't for another month.  Are you suggesting Frank has a pre-pre season just for the kids???  They'd only get the hump with having to come back from Ibiza anyway.  Patients!!!

Haven't seen a great deal of the U23s but having seen Thomas & Elsnik, I'd say they could at least fill a space on the bench.  I know everyone's really keen for homegrown lads to come through like Hendrick & Hughes did, but if GR and Frank aren't overly impressed then what's the point.  But I guess the argument is, chuck 'em in and see if they sink or swim...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you all know, I  am a big fan of Elsnik and think he is ready for a tilt at the first team if we play a CAM. I was really worried for him in Rowett's formation as couldn't see where he'd fit. Guy, on the other hand, would have fit well and may still fit as his forward play is quite good too - needs movement up ahead, though. 

For wingers Gordon is promising but I still think Bennett shows more - a big concern that he never stays fit.  As others have said Thomas is very skilful but his game management needs improvement. If McAllister can get fit he could be the best of the lot - this admittedly based on less than 90 minutes' football but he terrified the opposition defence when I saw him! 

Another player I like that no-one has mentioned yet is the left back Louie Sibley - playing well above his age range and looking good. Like Bogle on the right, he would make a good wing back as he loves to get forward. Don't expect Sibley to step up next season but one for the future.

I've mentioned lots of names but maybe only two or three will be used, that's okay by me as I think we need to bring in the younger players gradually. 

What I do think is that it's not necessarily the most skilful players that can make the step up. It's the ones that adapt well, can work hard to hold down a place but above all that fit into our team. As we don't even know what formation we will be playing yet it's hard to judge - but it's still fun to speculate! 

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

@angieram I know you said that Elnsik’s best chance of success would be as a CAM, but if we go back to 4-3-3, could he be an option as a right centre midfielder?(same position as Hughes used to play in)

I think that may even be better suited for him than playing off the striker. I caught a few Swindon games and u21 games he was involved in (not too many) last season and he was willing to get stuck in with tackles. Just as long as someone is there to cover for him when he attacks I think he'd do really well 

3 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I think that may even be better suited for him than playing off the striker. I caught a few Swindon games and u21 games he was involved in (not too many) last season and he was willing to get stuck in with tackles. Just as long as someone is there to cover for him when he attacks I think he'd do really well 

I was thinking the same and there would be less pressure on him to get goals and assists as there would be playing as an outright CAM so he could play with an element of freedom, although I haven’t seen Elsnik in a great detail. 

Just now, McLovin said:

I was thinking the same and there would be less pressure on him to get goals and assists as there would be playing as an outright CAM so he could play with an element of freedom, although I haven’t seen Elnsik in a great detail. 

Yeah there would, particularly when last season's attacking mid was the top scorer in the league ?

Well I am not saying put them into first stright away but frank needs look at these lads to see who might be ready.

But if we can 3 young lads in might save some money in the budget but be good play them in capital one cup depands who we get in.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

@angieram I know you said that Elnsik’s best chance of success would be as a CAM, but if we go back to 4-3-3, could he be an option as a right centre midfielder?(same position as Hughes used to play in)

Definitely.  He has played there for under 23s. 

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Well I am not saying put them into first stright away but frank needs look at these lads to see who might be ready.

But if we can 3 young lads in might save some money in the budget but be good play them in capital one cup depands who we get in.

I hope we'll play them more often than just the cups, so we can see how one or two do given a good run of games.

Bogle, Lowe, Thomas, Guy and Elsnik for me. 

From what I've seen/heard, these are the guys that should be stepping up.

Wisdom is great but can be inconsistent, so Bogle as backup will be vital.

Lowe would be my first choice left back if he can stay fit.

Thomas should be challenging our current wingers - we're hardly blessed in that department.

We need some creativity and energy in centre midfield desperately - this is where Guy and Elsnik could come in if they can show Frank and Jody they're good enough.

Exciting times.

Elsnik based on his performances for swindon looks a good prospect at 19 yrs of age. Promoting him could block the way for Vernam. Vernam reminds me of ramage so he'll probably end up on Radio Derby.

Thomas should be used selectively until he gets his wings. He looked a bit scared and might need a bit of protection.

Lowe could get some game time at LB or left wing back. Never quite does enough for me. Can't see him displacing foz. Might benefit from another spell out on loan

Hanson is very static. Not sure he can be more than a utility man. Personally i don't mind him kicking people, but if you're going to do it, DO IT! Show him some Bruce Rioch footage.

there are too many ahead of guy and bird at the mo especially if we switch to one holding player. Guy could get the odd sub appearance when we need to close it down, but only if he's artificially preferred to butters, ledley, thorne etc.

bogle - too young - don't put him in too soon and do a Lee Holmes on him. 

Bennett - time to start delivering. Still don't know if he's a winger or an inside forward. Not that the latter exist anymore. Could he even end up playing at full back? There's a bit of the Ryan Fredericks about him. Played well for 3 minutes away at man utd when gary threw the towel in.

Mitchell - nice lad i'm sure, but just looks too small and rubbery. 

roos - dunno, seemed to enjoy a good loan at plymouth.  Lets face it neither are going to displace scott carson. I wish eric was still looking after these sprog keepers. Maybe frank should go back for Eric.

Walker looks a prospect but needs to score a hatful in the u23s to force his way ahead of the over 30s.

thats it. 

10 minutes ago, zaragozaram said:

Suggestions?

Opaptiom - a small hairy mammal, found mostly in the deserts of Australia, notable for it´s usually large nose to penis ratio.

O Pap Tiom. 

An Ivorian blessing, roughly translated as Old Father Time, commonly uttered by ancient warriors as they entered into battle, along with 'Wat kno Kake' and 'Izit cos wans Afrikaans'.

Archived