Zidane

Day

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a surprise.

Nothing left to achieve with Madrid and the job security there is always fragile at best, so it’s better to leave on a high and most of all, on your own terms.

I think he’ll probably end up as the new head coach of France after the World Cup.

Loads of rumours they wanted him out. Only at Madrid can you with three champions leagues & have loads of rumours about being sacked leading up to the final

The blokes a club legend, reckon he’s been asked to step down let him leave with dignity rather than sack him make it look like its on his terms 

On 31/05/2018 at 12:18, Jourdan said:

Not a surprise.

Nothing left to achieve with Madrid and the job security there is always fragile at best, so it’s better to leave on a high and most of all, on your own terms.

I think he’ll probably end up as the new head coach of France after the World Cup.

Have to disagree. A team that finished 17 points behind Barcelona is not good enough for Real... 

On 03/06/2018 at 20:37, IlsonDerby said:

Have to disagree. A team that finished 17 points behind Barcelona is not good enough for Real... 

But that same team were good enough to win the Champions League three times in a row?

The remit at Real is to win titles, and to do so under continuous scrutiny. He won one league title and three consecutive Champions League titles in less than three full seasons. The only trophy missing from his cabinet was the Copa del Rey. I am sure no-one is losing sleep over that.

Finishing 17 points behind Barcelona is not a regular occurrence. It is a massive anomaly. Just like Barcelona going 36 games unbeaten was. So it's not really a basis to say that Zidane's job was unfinished.

Zidane did what he was employed to do - win trophies. If you can shed light on a different remit for his tenure, then I will respectfully change my stance.

But the reality is that both teams start on zero in August and one transfer window can be critical in a team's fortunes, so you are painting a false image if you are suggesting Real Madrid are miles behind Barcelona.

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

But that same team were good enough to win the Champions League three times in a row?

The remit at Real is to win titles, and to do so under continuous scrutiny. He won one league title and three consecutive Champions League titles in less than three full seasons. The only trophy missing from his cabinet was the Copa del Rey. I am sure no-one is losing sleep over that.

Finishing 17 points behind Barcelona is not a regular occurrence. It is a massive anomaly. Just like Barcelona going 36 games unbeaten was. So it's not really a basis to say that Zidane's job was unfinished.

Zidane did what he was employed to do - win trophies. If you can shed light on a different remit for his tenure, then I will respectfully change my stance.

But the reality is that both teams start on zero in August and one transfer window can be critical in a team's fortunes, so you are painting a false image if you are suggesting Real Madrid are miles behind Barcelona.

Domestically they were not good enough this season. That's not my opinion, that is their players' and Zidane's opinion, 

Now I'm not saying to be a success he has to win La Liga but he has to challenge for it. It is Real Madrid we're talking about and he hasn't mounted a title challenge at all this season which just isn't good enough. 

Obviously his European achievements have been sensational, there's no getting around that. I think he's done a decent job there over the 2 and a half years he's had. I just understand why he'd leave/Real would want a different direction and why it's not like he's left an all conquering team. 

17 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Domestically they were not good enough this season. That's not my opinion, that is their players' and Zidane's opinion, 

Now I'm not saying to be a success he has to win La Liga but he has to challenge for it. It is Real Madrid we're talking about and he hasn't mounted a title challenge at all this season which just isn't good enough. 

Obviously his European achievements have been sensational, there's no getting around that. I think he's done a decent job there over the 2 and a half years he's had. I just understand why he'd leave/Real would want a different direction and why it's not like he's left an all conquering team. 

My point is that he had nothing left to achieve.

After all, three consecutive CL titles is quite the legacy to leave behind.

Everyone knows the life span of a modern day Madrid head coach is 2-3 years, sometimes less. Everyone knows that your remit in that time is to win as many titles as possible and I think Zidane has done that quite well considering his inexperience. Far more experienced and far better coaches haven’t won half as much as he has won in his short career.

Zidane is one year removed from winning a league and European Cup double. Just decent, is it?

You could argue that he has underachieved this year and few if any would disagree, but overall you would say that to have such success in the most prestigious club competition in football eliminates any need to further prove himself.

What more could he have done? If I were in his shoes, the thought of waking up in the morning and managing Real Madrid wouldn’t excite me any more either.

No, Real are not some all-conquering team but Zidane walks away on a high with his reputation in tact, knowing he has brought great success to the club, without overstaying his welcome.

Winning the Champions League saved Zidane from the sack, which is remarkable considering his record during his first 18 months there. But that’s Madrid in a nutshell.

That PSG tie was so crucial. They had just been dumped out of the Copa Del Rey to Leganes, an embarrassment, and they were really out of form at the time.

PSG looked far the better team, but sloppy finishing, poor ref decisions and that last 10 minute meltdown allowed Madrid to gather the momentum they needed. From there they bundled along to winning it in very unconvincing fashion.

But it turned a terrible season into a decent one. 

Zidane was probably right to walk away on a high. With key players like Ramos, Modric and Ronaldo ageing plus the lack of progression from their young stars, Madrid are past their peak and will need a rebuild. Zidane probably doesn’t fancy it, and why would he when it will only take an early CL exit to see the axe come down.

Archived