Matej Vydra - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

Just now, Jourdan said:

Since when did the number of clubs bidding being made public indicate the quality or level of interest in the player?

Such things can go unreported, and agents and clubs have informal discussions before a bid is even tabled. Perhaps many clubs were interested and priced out of a move? Perhaps Vydra wanted reassurances about being a key player and some clubs couldn’t give him that? Maybe Vydra wanted an astronomical pay rise?

There are so many variables that could explain why Leeds are the frontrunners in a one horse race, but that doesn’t change the fact that he is a top Championship striker, a loss for us, and being sold at a price which is short of market value.

How do you determine "market value"?

I usually determine it by how much the market is willing to pay, supposedly circa 11 million ……….. therefore that is his market value.

Unless you have you're own formula ….

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Since when did the number of clubs bidding being made public indicate the quality or level of interest in the player?

Such things can go unreported, and agents and clubs have informal discussions before a bid is even tabled. Perhaps many clubs were interested and priced out of a move? Perhaps Vydra wanted reassurances about being a key player and some clubs couldn’t give him that? Maybe Vydra wanted an astronomical pay rise?

There are so many variables that could explain why Leeds are the frontrunners in a one horse race, but that doesn’t change the fact that he is a top Championship striker, a loss for us, and being sold at a price which is short of market value.

How can it be short of market value when a that is what the market has valued him at. 

We haven't rushed to sell him. This is what he is worth.

It's just that his market value is less than you thought it would be.

I like Vydra, he’s a goal scorer.

But I also understand that football is a business and, if you are able to bring in three players (Marr, Zoon and Wags) for roughly the same as what you get for Vyds, then it makes sense to me.

It would also mean that we’ve sold a first team player for more than we paid for them, and when was the last time we could say that? It might help reassure Mel that the business model is not completely broken, you know, help keep his faith in the project.

I also agree that this may also be the peak of his value. Vydra has already played in the prem and didn’t pull up any trees with Watford; premier league clubs have shown no interest therefore. £10 mil is still a lot, for a championship club to spend 

15 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Assuming Frank wants to unload Vyds then why lie about an injury? Not exactly what potential suitors want to hear, is it? Posh didn't lie about Marriott, they just didn't play him. Frank's line was that it was a niggle, nothing more, so I don't think Vyds starting for Leeds in their first game would prove anything other than the 'minor niggle' line may have been true. 

Who watches Frank’s interviews on RamsTV?

It was for the fans’ benefit. It is easier to say he’s got a little niggle and let people read between the lines than say he is being sold and he is not part of my plans. How would we react?

Clubs just want their man at the end of the day, so I am sure it’s not the first or last time a player has been kept out of harm’s way for that sake.

At the end of the day, if he goes, he goes.  It just seems disappointing that we haven’t made more of an effort to keep him because a fit and confident Vydra playing with Mount, Wilson and Josefzoon could have been fruitful.

All I will say is fingers crossed that Marriott and Waghorn do so well that in January, we are thinking ‘Matej who?’

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It was for the fans’ benefit. It is easier to say he’s got a little niggle and let people read between the lines than say he is being sold and he is not part of my plans. How would we react?

Clubs just want their man at the end of the day, so I am sure it’s not the first or last time a player has been kept out of harm’s way for that sake.

At the end of the day, if he goes, he goes.  It just seems disappointing that we haven’t made more of an effort to keep him because a fit and confident Vydra playing with Mount, Wilson and Josefzoon could have been fruitful.

All I will say is fingers crossed that Marriott and Waghorn do so well that in January, we are thinking ‘Matej who?’

If we kept Vydra who would you sell instead? Those players we have brought in wouldn't have come cheap and by all accounts if we sign Waggers we will be very close to breaking FFP rules, QPR have just agreed to pay a £42 million fine for breaking them....

7 minutes ago, sage said:

How can it be short of market value when a that is what the market has valued him at. 

We haven't rushed to sell him. This is what he is worth.

It's just that his market value is less than you thought it would be.

£11 million is what we are willing to accept.

When I talk about market value, I am talking about the prices being paid for players of a similar calibre across the majority of clubs.

Do I think if Vydra had just had the best season of his career and was playing for a different club, Leeds would be paying the same price? I’d say no.

We’re soft.

Complication with his medical?

According to James Marshment of TeamTalk, there has been a complication in Matej Vydra’s medical ahead of a proposed move to Leeds United – although there is currently a wait on any confirmation from other sources that this is the case.

News of a move for Matej Vydra to Leeds United began to gain traction yesterday when the striker was spotted outside Restaurant Bar and Grill in Leeds – opposite the Cities train station.

http://the72.co.uk/111397/huge-complication-matej-vydras-transfer-leeds-united/

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think that's wildly assumptive and way off the mark. The club made it clear that they would have to sell to buy and everyone on this forum (or any other) has known since the play-offs that in all likelihood Vyds would be leaving. He was the one really saleable asset who would generate significant funds. Zero need for subterfuge and not Frank's style at all.

The one thing we do agree on is that like you, I'd prefer Vyds not to be leaving but I guess we can't finance a re-build without the Leeds money, if indeed that's where he ends up. The only 'conspiracy' I can sniff is that we've tied up significant business BEFORE shifting Vyds out and without any degree of certainty that he'll even go. This suggests that the 'we are skint' line may have been something of a ruse, or exaggerated at least. 

1 hour ago, Harrowram said:

I am sorry that Frank's philosophy involves selling one our best players to a promotion rival. Leeds are buying Barry Douglas from Wolves who was also a big success in the championship last season and are clearly gearing up for a promotion push.

Has Vydra asked for more money again? Who're in for him now?

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

£11 million is what we are willing to accept.

When I talk about market value, I am talking about the prices being paid for players of a similar calibre across the majority of clubs.

Do I think if Vydra had just had the best season of his career and was playing for a different club, Leeds would be paying the same price? I’d say no.

We’re soft.

I think you need a lesson in economics my friend, the market will determine his price, if there were numerous serious bidders then the price would rise from the supposed 11 million. However, it would appear that there is no que forming and as such we have to establish a price we think is the minimum the one club in the market will pay. Below that he is worth more to us, at that valuation we think it's in our best interests to sell. 

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

If we kept Vydra who would you sell instead? Those players we have brought in wouldn't have come cheap and by all accounts if we sign Waggers we will be very close to breaking FFP rules, QPR have just agreed to pay a £42 million fine for breaking them....

Yes, I understand that we don’t have many saleable assets and a lot of deadwood.

I am not saying keep Vydra and sign Marriott and Waghorn on top of that. Of course that would be irresponsible and totally unnecessary.

I get selling Vydra if needs must and it will actively help us to cut costs. 

But in fact financially there is almost an equal flow of transfer movement in and out, so what is the gain? The squad is not getting any smaller and the wage bill is probably unmoved.

For me, if I had a choice, keep Vydra or sell him and reinvest a similar amount on two players who are more of a risk?

I’d stick with Vydra.

20 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Complication with his medical?

According to James Marshment of TeamTalk, there has been a complication in Matej Vydra’s medical ahead of a proposed move to Leeds United – although there is currently a wait on any confirmation from other sources that this is the case.

News of a move for Matej Vydra to Leeds United began to gain traction yesterday when the striker was spotted outside Restaurant Bar and Grill in Leeds – opposite the Cities train station.

http://the72.co.uk/111397/huge-complication-matej-vydras-transfer-leeds-united/

The number one go to rumour in the 'This transfer should have been announced by now' handbook

29 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We must ha e four players to sell at £1.5. Million each. Job done

Just now, Rampage said:

We must ha e four players to sell at £1.5. Million each. Job done

Say we do that, sell four players and cover the cost of selling Vydra.

Where does he fit in the team?

4-3-3 looks to be the formation, where do we place him?

Just now, David said:

Say we do that, sell four players and cover the cost of selling Vydra.

Where does he fit in the team?

4-3-3 looks to be the formation, where do we place him?

Agreed, I don't think we can accommodate him in a 433 so selling him to cover just about all the costs of the rebuild and selling at a profit for a change makes sense to me.....

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, I understand that we don’t have many saleable assets and a lot of deadwood.

I am not saying keep Vydra and sign Marriott and Waghorn on top of that. Of course that would be irresponsible and totally unnecessary.

I get selling Vydra if needs must and it will actively help us to cut costs. 

But in fact financially there is almost an equal flow of transfer movement in and out, so what is the gain? The squad is not getting any smaller and the wage bill is probably unmoved.

For me, if I had a choice, keep Vydra or sell him and reinvest a similar amount on two players who are more of a risk?

I’d stick with Vydra.

Vydra pays for Josefzoon, Marriott and Waghorn.

We have also sold Weimann and released Baird, Bent and Shackell. Our wages will have dropped accordingly.

We obviously want to get rid of more but I fear it will be mainly loans now.

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Sage, everyone knows you don’t rate Vydra, so it is not a surprise to see you defend this move.

You’re implying that Lampard needs someone who can score goals, play in a 4-3-3, and can offer more in open play, but yet the obvious choice Martin hasn’t got a look in all pre-season either and might not ever, especially now we’re in the middle of bringing in two more forwards.

Everyone is saying that Vydra is too flawed for the system but for me, if I am Frank Lampard and I believe in my coaching ability, I would have looked at Vydra and if there was something missing, I would try and add to his game and see how he blends with the new players, rather than leaving him out in the cold. If you have a proven goalscorer on your hands, why not utilise him? For him not to go on tour and not to get a single pre-season run out is just depressing.

I don’t get the logic that just because he didn’t flourish under McClaren and Pearson in various systems that we should be accepting of this move, all because Lampard is moving forward with a 4-3-3. What happened to a new manager coming in and there being a clean slate and a chance to prove yourself?

Just because Vydra didn’t click in a 4-3-3 under McClaren doesn’t necessarily mean he would be wasted in Lampard’s team, especially coming off a prolific year with renewed confidence. The make up of the team here and now is vastly different to 16-17 and Lampard will have his own ideas and his own methods.

A story in that fee? Are you forgetting the Hughes deal last season? We have consistently sold players for low fees when other clubs have been able to hold out for more. Clubs are going to lowball you if you show signs of being a soft touch.

We just have to trust in Frank but not doing everything in his power to keep Vydra, this could be one of his first ‘rookie mistakes’.

Martin injured 

24 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

I think you need a lesson in economics my friend, the market will determine his price, if there were numerous serious bidders then the price would rise from the supposed 11 million. However, it would appear that there is no que forming and as such we have to establish a price we think is the minimum the one club in the market will pay. Below that he is worth more to us, at that valuation we think it's in our best interests to sell. 

That there is no queue forming either means that few Championship clubs can afford him or he isn't rated very highly. It is slightly surprising that no club from abroad has shown interest though his wage demands would frighten most clubs..

Archived