Matej Vydra - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I’d be happy with £12m, but still think we should try and squeeze more. I have no doubts we will use the amount of interest around him to our advantage, but I’d personally rather see £12m invested in the squad than have Vydra here next season. 

Do you seriously think £12 million would be invested in the squad?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Do you seriously think £12 million would be invested in the squad?

I am no Morris Cheerleader, but based on record yes l think it would be reinvested in the squad - l think he will fully support Lampard in that regard. Clearly, and understandably, he needs to get payroll costs and staff numbers down significantly, but l would be staggered if this window Lampard has not been promised he can reinvest what he generates from sales.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

I am no Morris Cheerleader, but based on record yes l think it would be reinvested in the squad - l think he will fully support Lampard in that regard. Clearly, and understandably, he needs to get payroll costs and staff numbers down significantly, but l would be staggered if this window Lampard has not been promised he can reinvest what he generates from sales.

I agree with you, although I doubt it's 100% of the figure.

I think it's likely a case of, "we could do with the generation of £Xm to ease the situation, but all money beyond that will be fully reinvested."

I doubt, based on educated people's comments on your finances, that "X" is a very big number.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

.time will tell I suppose 

We don’t need to sell vydra, why would we sell our best player to buy, other not as good players. If we keep our best players together and work smartly in the loan market there is no real reason to sell. We need to build on last season, not take it apart and build again. Squad we have now is capable of marking play offs. Add a loan or two and we should be able to go further. 

Wages are the main concern I believe so let go of the high earners that aren’t getting games, by loaning them out and subsidising some of their wages or let them go on Frees. 

That would keep us within FFP and hopefully mount a playoff challenge 

29 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

We don’t need to sell vydra, why would we sell our best player to buy, other not as good players. If we keep our best players together and work smartly in the loan market there is no real reason to sell. We need to build on last season, not take it apart and build again. Squad we have now is capable of marking play offs. Add a loan or two and we should be able to go further. 

Wages are the main concern I believe so let go of the high earners that aren’t getting games, by loaning them out and subsidising some of their wages or let them go on Frees. 

That would keep us within FFP and hopefully mount a playoff challenge 

Many reasons. We could sell Vydra for a large fee, then reinvest some/all of that in a number of positions. Maybe none are as good as Vydra, but we could improve on a number of positions all through the sale of one player. Then there's the reason that there's no guarantee Vydra will match last season's performances. It's very likely Lampard will set us up in a different way to Rowett and his system could be less suitable for Vydra than Rowett's was. We've seen how ineffective Vydra can be in a system that doesn't play to his strengths, both for us and at other clubs. And then his contract is something that should be considered. He's down to 2 years left, so do we let his contract run down and his value drop or do we offer him a new contract which would almost certainly include a hefty pay rise?

53 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

Wages are the main concern I believe so let go of the high earners that aren’t getting games

This could well be Vydra next season, one of the higher earners and may not get games if the formation dont suit him

1 hour ago, DcfcJB said:

Who are the high earners not playing? I can only think of Martin, Butterfield and Blackman who played no part for us last year, even they may be in the plans yet?

You can't loan if nobody wants to take them and you can't release on a free transfer without paying off their contract generally. 

Wages have been dealt with to a degree, players like Bent and Shackell are gone and I think a sale is perhaps more about letting Lampard mould his own team now. 

21 hours ago, LB_DCFC said:

not in a position to be rejecting bids matching our valuation from anyone really. Don't think any premier league club would take a chance on him after his showing at west brom and even for us 16/17 and reading the season before that, it shows he has large dips in form in him. Only real options are other championship clubs and abroad, and i don't see any foreign clubs paying 12m+ for him.

No it doesn’t, it shows that if you don’t play him in his correct position he won’t score 

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

Many reasons. We could sell Vydra for a large fee, then reinvest some/all of that in a number of positions. Maybe none are as good as Vydra, but we could improve on a number of positions all through the sale of one player. Then there's the reason that there's no guarantee Vydra will match last season's performances. It's very likely Lampard will set us up in a different way to Rowett and his system could be less suitable for Vydra than Rowett's was. We've seen how ineffective Vydra can be in a system that doesn't play to his strengths, both for us and at other clubs. And then his contract is something that should be considered. He's down to 2 years left, so do we let his contract run down and his value drop or do we offer him a new contract which would almost certainly include a hefty pay rise?

You don’t see your best players when you do not need to, Vydra has shown he can be a top player in this division by scoring 20+ goals at two different clubs, clearly he has to be well managed but I don’t think he has to play in one system - I can’t remember many of our players if any standing out in Steve Mac and Pearsons teams. He is currently the best goal scorer in the championship in the prime of his career. 

Min respect of your point about reinvesting in the squad, the £12m being quoted will not go far in the championship. Much rather keep Vydra and invest in some loans for the few areas we do need better options i.e certainly left back and a winger maybe a creative midfielder.

You do make good points but the key point you’re missing is “where do we find 20+ goals from next season if we let our top scorer from?”

Lots of talk about investments in players but the message is one of cutbacks hence Vydra will be leaving before the window shuts.

personally I would like to see plenty of cutbacks from the byelines next season with a midfielder running on to them! 

12 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

You don’t see your best players when you do not need to, Vydra has shown he can be a top player in this division by scoring 20+ goals at two different clubs, clearly he has to be well managed but I don’t think he has to play in one system - I can’t remember many of our players if any standing out in Steve Mac and Pearsons teams. He is currently the best goal scorer in the championship in the prime of his career. 

Min respect of your point about reinvesting in the squad, the £12m being quoted will not go far in the championship. Much rather keep Vydra and invest in some loans for the few areas we do need better options i.e certainly left back and a winger maybe a creative midfielder.

You do make good points but the key point you’re missing is “where do we find 20+ goals from next season if we let our top scorer from?”

You can find a 20+ goal striker in many places, it just takes the right scouting and management of the player. We have Martin who's done it before. It will take a big confidence boost and a system that suits him, but it's not impossible he manages to get back to scoring goals if he's enjoying his football again. Vydra scored 8 goals across 2 seasons before his golden boot year, all it took was a new manager to give him confidence and use him effectively. Frank may have the same impact on Martin, who knows? Leeds' alternate option to Vydra is Abel Hernandez who left Hull on a free. He missed a lot of last season through injury but still scored 8 goals in 10 appearances and hit 20 goals in 15/16 in the Championship. We could always go for him. Before Winnall's injury he was the top scorer in the EFL for the past 5 seasons and had the best minutes per goal ratio in the Championship for whilst with us. He clearly loved the place and would probably come back so if Frank likes him, maybe he could be the 20+ goal man? And then there's Jack Marriott we're heavily linked with who was the top scorer in the EFL last season. Peterbrough have a habit of getting strikers who score for fun in League 1 and then easily make the step up. He'd be a good option. And there's also Tammy Abraham. I'm not sure whether any Prem clubs would take the gamble on him after how he did for Swansea so he might have to come back to the Championship on loan for another season. With Frank's Chelsea connection we'd surely have a chance at getting him here

Besides, why do we desperately need a 20+ goal a season striker? The 3 clubs who went up had no one at 20 goals. In fact, Cardiff went up with just 1 player scoring double digits and that was Callum Paterson who's a centre mid/right back. It'd be much better if we can get goals from everywhere and don't rely on just 1 person

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Same place we have previously.

So only Vydra and Martin have managed 20 + goals for derby in the championship within the last 10+ years.

Too many people quick to take £12 million for a player that is worth so much more than the market value to us. We won’t get £20 million for Vydra, however that is at least what he is worth to us replace his goals and improve the team. So as his market value is less than what his true value is to us, then we move on and offload the dead wood ie butterfield/ Blackman.

Anyone who says we are better without Vydra - Carson - Davies - Huddlestone - are kidding themselves as you can’t replace them for the price you’ll get for them - you have to improve what’s around them.  

8 goals in two seasons in which one was spent in the peen with WBA not being played. Then a season with Derby where he wasn’t used enough or was out on the wing. Is he a winger? He is one of the best strikers in the Championship coming into his prime? Why do we take a gamble on other players? When we can play safer with Vydra. 

What we have isn’t broken, why rip it out and start again? Keep the best players trim the squad of the dead wood and free up some wage budget for a few exciting young loanees. 

8 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

8 goals in two seasons in which one was spent in the peen with WBA not being played. Then a season with Derby where he wasn’t used enough or was out on the wing. Is he a winger? He is one of the best strikers in the Championship coming into his prime? Why do we take a gamble on other players? When we can play safer with Vydra. 

What we have isn’t broken, why rip it out and start again? Keep the best players trim the squad of the dead wood and free up some wage budget for a few exciting young loanees. 

No he wasn't sat at West Brom not being played, they loaned him out to Reading for a very big loan fee and he scored 3 goals in 31 Championship games for them. And I actually think it's a bigger gamble for the club to keep Vydra rather than sell him. Sell a striker who's at his top value and isn't guaranteed to suit Frank's system so we can reinvest in multiple positions or keep him and have to give him a big new contract within the next year or 2, or sell him for much less in 6-12 months time. We can't afford to take the risk and miss out on such a huge fee when we're needing to keep in line with FFP rules

And I'm sure everyone on here agrees with you, if we could just keep the best players and get rid of the dead wood we'd all love that, but unfortunately that's not how it works. We've got dead wood on huge wages that other Championship clubs who would want them couldn't afford and the clubs that could afford them want players who haven't been out of form for 2-3 years. Sadly, the fact is Vydra is one of the only players who will attract a lot of interest and generate a big fee. Carson, Davies, Keogh, Huddlestone and a couple of others would probably have some teams interested, but due to their age we'd get nowhere near the sort of fee we can for Vydra

I personally won't be gutted if Vydra leaves...

He's one of the best finishers in the league no doubt... but he does have his weaknesses, he needs to be played with a foil and most managers play with one striker up front. Also when things aren't going his way, you visibly see him sulking on the pitch.

Vydra can't play as an alone front man and can't play out wide or in CM so can only play CAM.

If Frank wants to play a formation that doesn't include a CAM then we should cash in, but only at the right price.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

No it doesn’t, it shows that if you don’t play him in his correct position he won’t score 

Played most of his games at Reading in the 10 position, playing behind Kermorgant or sa, and scored 3 goals in 30 games, starting 24. I'd say thats a dip

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

You can find a 20+ goal striker in many places, it just takes the right scouting and management of the player. We have Martin who's done it before. It will take a big confidence boost and a system that suits him, but it's not impossible he manages to get back to scoring goals if he's enjoying his football again. Vydra scored 8 goals across 2 seasons before his golden boot year, all it took was a new manager to give him confidence and use him effectively. Frank may have the same impact on Martin, who knows? Leeds' alternate option to Vydra is Abel Hernandez who left Hull on a free. He missed a lot of last season through injury but still scored 8 goals in 10 appearances and hit 20 goals in 15/16 in the Championship. We could always go for him. Before Winnall's injury he was the top scorer in the EFL for the past 5 seasons and had the best minutes per goal ratio in the Championship for whilst with us. He clearly loved the place and would probably come back so if Frank likes him, maybe he could be the 20+ goal man? And then there's Jack Marriott we're heavily linked with who was the top scorer in the EFL last season. Peterbrough have a habit of getting strikers who score for fun in League 1 and then easily make the step up. He'd be a good option. And there's also Tammy Abraham. I'm not sure whether any Prem clubs would take the gamble on him after how he did for Swansea so he might have to come back to the Championship on loan for another season. With Frank's Chelsea connection we'd surely have a chance at getting him here

Besides, why do we desperately need a 20+ goal a season striker? The 3 clubs who went up had no one at 20 goals. In fact, Cardiff went up with just 1 player scoring double digits and that was Callum Paterson who's a centre mid/right back. It'd be much better if we can get goals from everywhere and don't rely on just 1 person

I must confess... I was waiting for someone to write this kind of post so I don't need to. Feeling bit lazy ? Thanks Cam!

Archived