Top 6 was a decent season

Curtains

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was if you look at where we were 12 months ago. Most important thing for me now is will we see any progress? And I’m not talking where we end up in the league, I want to see us improve on the pitch and build on, what I hope, has just been a foundation this season.

The same football and a go at the playoffs again won’t do it for me. 

Just now, cosmic said:

It was if you look at where we were 12 months ago. Most important thing for me now is will we see any progress? And I’m not talking where we end up in the league, I want to see us improve on the pitch and build on, what I hope, has just been a foundation this season.

Agreed Gary has to be positive and shift a few out. 

4 minutes ago, cosmic said:

would you be happy with better football but not top 6?

Iv said on here before 

this season is a success and was always going to be once we made the play offs regardless of the outcome 

for the first time since NC we'll be starting the season with the same man that started this one 

the most precious commodity in football management .. time

theres still an absolute truckload of other managers crap, ideas and philosophies to move out and for rowett to compete his jigsaw

this season there's been plenty of times this team has looked exactly like what it is ... a collection of players brought in by a number of different managers all with their own ideas, rowett has mashed that into a team... does that mean it's his final vision??

i highly doubt it, let's see what the summer brings, I'm confident providing we can find takers for butters, Blackman and the like on Their whopping contracts .... we can hope anyway 

I'm sure some would try and blame rowett for those too .. hey roymac ? 

13 minutes ago, Spanish said:

would you be happy with better football but not top 6?

That’s a didficult question! Generally, no. But if we could all see a direction and we were unfortunate to land 7th (or 6th and lose in the playoffs again) I could probably forgive. 

Basically I think I’d be happy to miss out on promotion again if it looked like we were set up for the autos the season after.

1 minute ago, cosmic said:

That’s a didficult question! Generally, no. But if we could all see a direction and we were unfortunate to land 7th (or 6th and lose in the playoffs again) I could probably forgive. 

Basically I think I’d be happy to miss out on promotion again if it looked like we were set up for the autos the season after.

always hard to know what next year will bring never mind the year after that.  Just a bit worried that the structure of the squad and the implications of FFP on their carrying values will have a significant impact on flexibility.  makes me smile to see the comments regarding who we should keep and sell without considering the restrictions we need to work to.  I think we have backed ourselves into a corner

Just now, Spanish said:

always hard to know what next year will bring never mind the year after that.  Just a bit worried that the structure of the squad and the implications of FFP on their carrying values will have a significant impact on flexibility.  makes me smile to see the comments regarding who we should keep and sell without considering the restrictions we need to work to.  I think we have backed ourselves into a corner

I think you may be right. The average squad age and ex-Prem wages this season felt like a roll of the dice to me. I just hope we don’t unto all the hard work achieved due to being buggered financially. As I said, I really hope we can use this season as a foundation to make a step up. 

Was top 6 a decent season? Not so sure really if I am honest. Maybe if you just look at league position but that papers over one hell of a lot of cracks.

Let's ignore the fact that we were second and again imploded in spectacular fashion.

Let's ignore the fact that we went **** or bust and bust and now have to live with the consequences.

Let's ignore the fact that 'young and hungry' were playing for other clubs.

Let's ignore the fact that we had one of the most experienced squads in the league.

Let's ignore the fact that bar the odd 15 mins here and there, we were generally bored shitless for most of the season, even when we were second.

Let's ignore the fact that we have not moved on at all from the previous season.

We now seem to have a souless club with no real identity. The fanbase has never been more split. Crowds are dwindling.

Other than that, we finished 6th in one of the worse Championship seasons I can remember. The quality has been shocking bar Wolves and in the end Fulham. We stayed in the playoffs only really because others could not take advantage of our poor form. 

But hay ho... 6th when some predicted they would be happy with 10th.. Happy days, everything must be on the up. 

9 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I think you may be right. The average squad age and ex-Prem wages this season felt like a roll of the dice to me. I just hope we don’t unto all the hard work achieved due to being buggered financially. As I said, I really hope we can use this season as a foundation to make a step up. 

my concern is that very few foundations were being laid this season and that therefore the steps may be sideways or even backwards for a season or two until contracts unwind.

The most popular names being bandied about for sale (eg butterfield, blackman, martin) were players who didn't feature much in the squad, so why would that materially alter the matchday 18 from what we had on offer in the last few months?

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Was top 6 a decent season? Not so sure really if I am honest. Maybe if you just look at league position but that papers over one hell of a lot of cracks.

Let's ignore the fact that we were second and again imploded in spectacular fashion.

Let's ignore the fact that we went **** or bust and bust and now have to live with the consequences.

Let's ignore the fact that 'young and hungry' were playing for other clubs.

Let's ignore the fact that we had one of the most experienced squads in the league.

Let's ignore the fact that bar the odd 15 mins here and there, we were generally bored shitless for most of the season, even when we were second.

Let's ignore the fact that we have not moved on at all from the previous season.

We now seem to have a souless club with no real identity. The fanbase has never been more split. Crowds are dwindling.

Other than that, we finished 6th in one of the worse Championship seasons I can remember. The quality has been shocking bar Wolves and in the end Fulham. We stayed in the playoffs only really because others could not take advantage of our poor form. 

But hay ho... 6th when some predicted they would be happy with 10th.. Happy days, everything must be on the up. 

I thought 11th. But I thought a more or less completely new first XI, with "young and hungry" throughout OUR team, not scattered out amongst the lower leagues. I thought that training and style would be the big investment of the season, not aged ex-prem players. I thought it would be about identity and forging new methods......the identified "energy", "athleticism". Even the early views of a system og gangnam-pressing. I THOUGHT it would be about clearing away the debris of the past few seasons, not adding another layer. Solid foundations - not transient ones.

So my "happy with 11th" was certainly not unconditional. And as I sit and mull over the disappointment of last night, I have to say that I would have been happier overall with my version than with what ultimately has transpired.

51 minutes ago, curtains said:

Now we move on .

Inteesting to see which way the club goes from here. 

no, we don't move on. We review and learn surely.

2/3 years ago we were the equivalent of Fulham, but nobody rolled over for us when it came to the crunch. We have regressed so much in the last couple of seasons, whilst seemingly improving the team!

As for last night, I wanted to be able to say we did our best, but we didn't. 

I am angry that we waited until being 2-0 down before actually trying to win. I saw a post mocking 'purists', but it's not about style as much as intent. Derby didn't play to win at any stage last night, and ultimately that cost us the game.

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I thought 11th. But I thought a more or less completely new first XI, with "young and hungry" throughout OUR team, not scattered out amongst the lower leagues. I thought that training and style would be the big investment of the season, not aged ex-prem players. I thought it would be about identity and forging new methods......the identified "energy", "athleticism". Even the early views of a system og gangnam-pressing. I THOUGHT it would be about clearing away the debris of the past few seasons, not adding another layer. Solid foundations - not transient ones.

So my "happy with 11th" was certainly not unconditional. And as I sit and mull over the disappointment of last night, I have to say that I would have been happier overall with my version than with what ultimately has transpired.

Now no-one believes me when I say that is what I thought for this season too. I still thought top 6 though - ever the optimist! ?

Can't see that happening next season either, but I'll still say top 6 for us. ?

I am feeling surprisingly upbeat this morning. I think Wembley and promotion would have been a step too far this season. With a good summer break and a few good signings we'll be up in and around the top 6 again next year. Bring on the cricket season.

We have just been battered over two legs by a team that only finished 3rd in the league, managing only a couple of meaningful efforts throughout the 180 minutes.  

On paper a top 6 finish looks ok, however overall a poor season for me, posters say it’s not all about possession which in some ways it correct, however last night as have been so many games was horrible to watch.

I think top 6 is reasonable for this season but next season Gary has to improve the squad .

Mel Morris has stated though that the academy players will be more involved .

So one way or the other Gary has a tough job .

Who knows what will happen next season as there are so many variables 

Would have accepted top 8 if there were real signs of growth and a clear positive direction based on a mixture of youth and energy coupled with experience and guile. Playing on the front foot. Despite that I do believe the players were good enough though but let down by tactics. In the end the alladyce/pulis/hughes style gets what it deserves. 

He did appear to grow a pair towards the end but from necessity rather than choice. If Ollsen had been fit he would never have given anya a sniff. Ridiculous as it was only when he got subbed we looked positive in the last few games. 

At the end if the day though i like the championship. Its GR's level at best so we may flirt with the play offs again next season. However i dont think even his most myopic fans will contunue to stomach his style past xmas

Archived