Igor Stimac at PP

Ellafella

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Boycie said:

Do you have any stories about him?

Not really, sorry.

All my stories are about Ronnie Webster, Colin Boulton, Roger Davies, Roy McFarland and to a lesser extent, Peter Daniel.

Whereas I remember meeting all of the first 4 regularly and the first 3 coming to our house, I have no memories of even meeting King Kev I'm sad to say.

I've said this before, but Roger Davies is as faf! Such a super nice person.

Having said that, they all were.

Ronnie and his wife Doreen, were truly lovely people. I so hope RamsTV has him on. In fact, I hope they have them all on. 

The fact that Colin won best keeper ever to wear a Rams shirt when Shilton was so good, says a lot.

2 hours ago, David said:

Whoooooo? ?

Was he any good, as in Wanchope good?

Are you jesting, good sir?

Hector was incredible, waaaaaaay better than Wancope.

I loved the latter and that goal against Man Utd (which I think I'm right in saying never even won goal of the month) would be in my top 10 Rams goals of all time (thread coming), he was no King Kev!

13 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

How good was the second goal?

Answered on a postcard.

The height Supermac leapt for his goal - remarkable, especially when he was weighed down by having Eusebio in his back pocket.

King Kev was our postman for years. Remember summer holidays we’d be out playing on the street bright and early, Kev would be doing his rounds, our parents had told us who he was and instantly thought he was a hero. As a result me my bro and about 4 other kids would go and deliver the post for him!! 

In more recent years seen him a few times in the woodlands pub, very quiet and unassuming, doesn’t really seem to like attention. Just your normal decent down to earth bloke. And to think he won two league titles and was once one of the finest players in England and probably Europe. The way legends of the game talk about him, he must’ve been good. I my old man’s eyes, there will never be anyone better to wear a rams shirt! 

But Igor will be forever my hero! My Hand still hurts from where he crushed it shaking my hand at a junior football awards once.

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

King Kev was our postman for years. Remember summer holidays we’d be out playing on the street bright and early, Kev would be doing his rounds, our parents had told us who he was and instantly thought he was a hero. As a result me my bro and about 4 other kids would go and deliver the post for him!! 

In more recent years seen him a few times in the woodlands pub, very quiet and unassuming, doesn’t really seem to like attention. Just your normal decent down to earth bloke. And to think he won two league titles and was once one of the finest players in England and probably Europe. The way legends of the game talk about him, he must’ve been good. I my old man’s eyes, there will never be anyone better to wear a rams shirt! 

Criminal that the likes of Hector delivered mail and the likes of Livermore (and worse) are international players and millionaires by 21.

The word is that Mister Hector is a very shy person.

Now, I can appreciate that, I really can, but I think the adulation that many folk have got for him is quite important.

I know he’s done pub talks like in the Neptune and they’ve had loads of people looking on in admiration.

So, what’s difficult in taking one on one to Gibbo?

But, it’s easy for me to say, I have no idea of what’s gone off, I don’t remember anything official with King Kevin.

I’ve never seen him play in person, but really appreciate what he did for us.

If Gibbo could arrange it, that would be the the best RamsTV with ever.

fingers crossed.

??

23 minutes ago, Boycie said:

The word is that Mister Hector is a very shy person.

Now, I can appreciate that, I really can, but I think the adulation that many folk have got for him is quite important.

I know he’s done pub talks like in the Neptune and they’ve had loads of people looking on in admiration.

So, what’s difficult in taking one on one to Gibbo?

But, it’s easy for me to say, I have no idea of what’s gone off, I don’t remember anything official with King Kevin.

I’ve never seen him play in person, but really appreciate what he did for us.

If Gibbo could arrange it, that would be the the best RamsTV with ever.

fingers crossed.

??

Utterly agree. I saw him play a lot of times and in hindsight (obviously), he reminds me of Peter Beardsley.

He wasn't big enough, or probably didn't score enough goals, to have been your typical striker at the time but he was stupidly underrated.

Along with Todd, George, Mac and Daly, he's in my top 5 Rams of all time.

6 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Utterly agree. I saw him play a lot of times and in hindsight (obviously), he reminds me of Peter Beardsley.

He wasn't big enough, or probably didn't score enough goals, to have been your typical striker at the time but he was stupidly underrated.

Along with Todd, George, Mac and Daly, he's in my top 5 Rams of all time.

Didn’t score enough goals? I thought he was the 60s / 70s version of Kevin Phillips?

5 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Didn’t score enough goals? I thought he was the 60s / 70s version of Kevin Phillips?

I'm going from memory, but I don't think he ever scored over 20 in a season.

But I hate even saying that because he was a great player and had way more value than a pure goal scorer like say, Bob Latchford.

38 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm going from memory, but I don't think he ever scored over 20 in a season.

But I hate even saying that because he was a great player and had way more value than a pure goal scorer like say, Bob Latchford.

You’re probably right. I’m sure we had 3 players get 15 goals each in the 2nd champ season such was the spread of talent throughout the team.

But I think Kev got almost 50 goals in a season for Bradford PA the season before he signed for Derby. 

It’s funny because great CFs always seemed to come through lower leagues and then come good in the top division - Hector, Rush, Lineker, Deano etc etc. These days there’s only Vardy I can think of who’s come through and won something. But these players must be there. It’s not like as a nation we can’t produce human beings that are good at scoring goals ! We just can’t be arsed to find them and coach them. They do in Germany, Spain and Italy etc. You’ll never see Mourinho etc nurture a young English striker when he can buy someone for £100m.

41 minutes ago, Owd miner said:

What word did tha grab pal ? 

Got a photo and asked if he thought we would win at half time and he said yes we would .

From him that was brilliant for me. 

Also told him he was looking well. 

On 05/05/2018 at 19:27, Tim Bucktoo said:

Criminal that the likes of Hector delivered mail and the likes of Livermore (and worse) are international players and millionaires by 21.

It's not criminal Tim B.  It's different eras and like all eras the world moves on and things are not the same, just as work was different in my dad's time, to my time to young ilkley's time. And different rewards are all part of that.

I would bet that  most of the players of yesteryear wouldn't swop their experiences for those of today, however tempting and however much money was involved, King Kevin included. They had their time in what was still proper football, on proper pitches, in proper grounds, in front of vocal fans; they had opportunities that most players today will never experience ( like winning the top division's title); they were feted but not the subject of incessant social media comment and abuse and interference; they could live and let off steam without being on the front pages the following morning; they were still rewarded comparatively well albeit without being able to retire at the end of a short career; drugs - social and performance enhancing - were rare and non-existent. 

Clubs and managers had the power, there were no agents or representatives, not much employment law or protection, there was racism and injury and poor medical backup, so I'm not trying to paint an unnecessarily rosy picture of life then but I suspect that many players of that era will be happy for today's players in what they earn and grateful that they played then and not now.

Archived