Final Day Fun

maxjam

Final Day Fun  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

So he does nothing, we slate him.  He changes it, we slate him?  Got it.

No, no, not at all, I just wouldn’t go so far as to call it a master stroke that’s all. He’d have been pretty dim to realise that his stubbornness/inflexibility wasn’t having the desired effect and with games running out he made changes, possibly against his better instincts, good on him for that, but master stroke ? Nah.

For me, Derby and Burton are intrinsically linked so would love em to stay up. 

From Peter Taylor to Nigel Clough to Roy Mac to Gary and countless Rams/Brewers inbeteeen, in my eyes we have a friendly and healthy relationship. Their RD commo’s are good too. Very gracious last week.

And they brew decent beer.

i was just explaining to a Sunderland fan yesterday (who was obviously gutted that Burton / Bent had put them down) about the Rams : Brewers players and managers that have passed between us. 

I have a few ‘second teams’ who’s results I check after the Rams, borne out of friends and our preference for ‘normal’ teams. Burton tick the box. Although funnily enough, some of my best friends support notts and  I’d be delighted if they went out of existence tomorrow ?

Just now, Pearl Ram said:

No, no, not at all, I just wouldn’t go so far as to call it a master stroke that’s all. He’d have been pretty dim to realise that his stubbornness/inflexibility wasn’t having the desired effect and with games running out he made changes, possibly against his better instincts, good on him for that, but master stroke ? Nah.

In a recent interview, Rowett was talking about the formation used in the promotion season under Jim Smith. Where we struggled to begin with then switched to 5 at the back and everything clicked into place. Then went on to say he had a feeling we’d need to switch to that at some point this season. 

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In a recent interview, Rowett was talking about the formation used in the promotion season under Jim Smith. Where we struggled to begin with then switched to 5 at the back and everything clicked into place. Then went on to say he had a feeling we’d need to switch to that at some point this season. 

Oh. Took him long enough don’t you think ?

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I heard that but didn’t understand what he meant. 

He said he knew we’d have to switch eventually but didn’t know when or how but it was something he knew might happen.

TBE switched in October and never looked back as we didn’t defend like ballyho but attacked and defended in equal and capable measures.

Gary switched with 3 (or 6) games to go. 

It was the same interview where he mentioned reading fans forums and all the the so called experts who know better, so he followed their advice. Ed Dawes was jesting with Ramage about it today due to his recent criticisms.

Im not criticising just commenting. (As per my promised non criticism of Gary)

2 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

He said he knew we’d have to switch eventually but didn’t know when or how but it was something he knew might happen.

TBE switched in October and never looked back as we didn’t defend like ballyho but attacked and defended in equal and capable measures.

It was the same interview where he mentioned reading fans forums and all the the so called experts who know better, so he followed their advice. Ed Dawes was jesting with Ramage about it today due to his recent criticisms.

Forgot about that bit, but it came across very tongue in cheek. Gary told us he doesn’t read social media / online forums anyway

I think it was meant to be tongue in cheek but it dripped with sarcasm. Unless why would you mention it?

But as I said previously, I’m not bothered if it’s true or not (its true btw ?) so long as we play well / win. You’d have to be 85 to not see any type of social media and the subsequent links / comments.

33 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

It’s actually quite admirable that a manager is able to change their system so effectively. I though Mac was great. But one thing he couldn’t do was change the system. When it wasn’t working, when injuries meant we clearly didn’t have the personnel for the system, he refused to change it. Might be a little late in the game, but it think credit where it’s due for Rowett. It might be a final roll of the dice, but at least it’s something, a lot of managers would just continue to stubbornly flog the same dead donkey. 

Couldn’t care less about Burton, I don’t get the love in some of our fans have with them. Hopefully they go down and Radio Derby will reduce the coverage on them, give them the same air time as Ilkeston Town. 

Derby win, Burton lose imo 

2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Couldn’t care less about Burton, I don’t get the love in some of our fans have with them. Hopefully they go down and Radio Derby will reduce the coverage on them, give them the same air time as Ilkeston Town. 

Agreed.

ps. It’s Ilson Town..... yoth!

The problem with Burton is they create a second local 'derby' for us where they play out of their skins because it's us (there's another little club down the road we have a similar problem with!) Other than that , I like them and admire their incredible journey to where they are now.

So I have voted for them staying up and us reaching the playoffs. If we subsequently go on to win them, I  won't have to worry about either local derby next season - and Burton can beat Forest for us! 

11 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

It was the same interview where he  reading fans forums and all the the so called experts who know better, so he followed their advice. Ed Dawes was jesting with Ramage about it today due to his recent criticisms.

That’s right...he made what some might say was a sarcastic remark about being clueless {others might say it’s factual} then he made what some might say was a contrived explanation saying he knew he’d have to change it at some point he just didn’t know at what point that would be...?

So GR just in case it happens again, here are the things to ask yourself:

1. Did we get 3 points? 

2. Did we play good football? 

3. Are we scoring goals?

3. Are the players happy?

4. Are the fans on DCFC FANS happy?

If the answers to these questions are “mainly No” then it’s time to change things. ?

Still others might say GR’s “explanation” was a little ergo post hoc, last chance saloon, sword of Damacles, etc, writing on the wall but what would they know? 

36 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Then you're probably not from, or the area around, Burton. 

Its a bit like someone commenting on Chesterfield being relegated from the league a few days days ago he or she was probably from that side of Derby - I personally couldn't really care less! 

We may all be Derby fans but I've been to plenty of Gresley Rovers and Burton Albion matches simply because they are on my doorstep and therefore have an affinity with them. And I did give everyone a 5th option to choose!

12 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Its a bit like someone commenting on Chesterfield being relegated from the league a few days days ago he or she was probably from that side of Derby - I personally couldn't really care less! 

We may all be Derby fans but I've been to plenty of Gresley Rovers and Burton Albion matches simply because they are on my doorstep and therefore have an affinity with them. And I did give everyone a 5th option to choose!

Yeah, I don’t really care about chesterfield. Even though technically the only other Derbyshire team in the league, and Burton isn’t even in Derbyshire, so I probably should care a bit more. 

I think I have a very passing interest in chesterfield. I won’t loose any sleep over their relegation, but I would’ve rather someone else went down and they stayed up, given the option.

but the my feelings aren’t that much stronger for Burton. I want them to stay up more for the underdog story than for any particular affiliation. But the slight affiliation adds a little extra element of personal stakes. 

I think the enjoyment of sport is all about picking a side to root for. Even if you’re neutral, you’ve got to prefer one side over the other. That’s where people get enjoyment from gambling, it gives you a personal stake in the game, and a reason to root for something. 

So instead of gambling, I create little stories and personal affiliations that make it a bit more interesting. 

I grew up in Burton, played for the District FA, played for Albion Reserves when Warnock was manager, and have huge respect for Ben Robinson and Nigel Clough so would absolutely love it if they stay up. It would be a brilliant achievement especially with a -40 odd goal difference. Next weekend is going to be “one of them” ?

Derby will 100% get in the play offs if we start well and play our usual game , the only danger is if it is a game like the Sunderland match where a weak link in the team (forsyth) makes a screw up to gift them a goal and we cant mentally recover from the setback . I think Burton will draw against preston so a derby win should keep them up.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Dam missed the 5th option, can I have two votes? 

Archived