Play the U23s and get relegated

Curtains

57 minutes ago, curtains said:

Have the fans got the patience though .

Im not being obtuse I’m so fed up with this constant play the reserves comment every time we lose .

How does that give the current 1st team players any confidence.

Every time Luke Thomas isn’t started Rowett gets stick but Kasey Palmer is better than him and he struggles in the Championship.

If we are happy with mid table obscurity or relegation that’s fine .

Its just I’m not sorry. 

I have no objection with playing an U23 player if they are better than what we have .

You quote Bennett but Gary used him at the start of the season but he didn’t cut it did he and then unfortunately he got injured straight away at Notts County. 

A lot of the loaned out players got injured 

OK.  Yes, I think that most fans would have more patience with our youngsters than they have with more experienced incomers who don't appear to be making an impact. There are a lot of comments on here that suggest that would be the case. 

I sympathise with players that lack confidence but if they don't want to lose their place they need to up their game. Having someone challenging their position may help, not hinder. 

Kasey Palmer is a talent, I agree, but I don't think he is being used to best advantage. Anyway, he won't be here next season but the players we own will be.

Do you know that introducing one or two under 23 players will mean mid table obscurity or relegation? No , not yet as we haven't tried it but we are currently in relegation form with first team players.

Bennett played very well at Brentford until he went off injured and since then he had one brief cameo against Manchester United, where he hardly disgraced himself, and was then sent out on loan.

I think one of the reasons for sending players out on loan is to see how robust they are in the rough and tumble of league football and some injuries will occur. Guy is coping better with injuries this season, as is Lowe. Gordon has a dislocated shoulder which is a freak injury that could happen to anyone.

Will Hughes gets injured a lot, Richard Keogh hardly ever. I'm not sure what your point is here. Would I want a fit Hughes in my side every week? You bet I would!

I think it boils down to what you consider to be  a forward thinking strategy for our club.

I think that gradually introducing some younger players is a good way to go.

You are obviously quite a play it safe guy, which probably explains why you like our current manager so much.

I think we will have to disagree on this issue.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, angieram said:

OK.  Yes, I think that most fans would have more patience with our youngsters than they have with more experienced incomers who don't appear to be making an impact. There are a lot of comments on here that suggest that would be the case. 

I sympathise with players that lack confidence but if they don't want to lose their place they need to up their game. Having someone challenging their position may help, not hinder. 

Kasey Palmer is a talent, I agree, but I don't think he is being used to best advantage. Anyway, he won't be here next season but the players we own will be.

Do you know that introducing one or two under 23 players will mean mid table obscurity or relegation? No , not yet as we haven't tried it but we are currently in relegation form with first team players.

Bennett played very well at Brentford until he went off injured and since then he had one brief cameo against Manchester United, where he hardly disgraced himself, and was then sent out on loan.

I think one of the reasons for sending players out on loan is to see how robust they are in the rough and tumble of league football and some injuries will occur. Guy is coping better with injuries this season, as is Lowe. Gordon has a dislocated shoulder which is a freak injury that could happen to anyone.

Will Hughes gets injured a lot, Richard Keogh hardly ever. I'm not sure what your point is here. Would I want a fit Hughes in my side every week? You bet I would!

I think it boils down to what you consider to be  a forward thinking strategy for our club.

I think that gradually introducing some younger players is a good way to go.

You are obviously quite a play it safe guy, which probably explains why you like our current manager so much.

I think we will have to disagree on this issue.

Ok we will agree to that but I think the thinking is to introduce more than 2 next season  

PS I hope the U23s beat Leicester tomorrow and Sunderland fail to beat Swansea .

1 hour ago, curtains said:

Of course our expectations are too high .

We have to be very  patient if we go down the route that MM wants to follow as he said recently after the financial results which he said are unsustainable  that if we don’t make promotion this season we will have to cut costs and rely more on the players coming through .

Well if that's what we have to do, that's what we have to do

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

Ok we will agree to that but I think the thinking is to introduce more than 2 next season  

PS I hope the U23s beat Leicester tomorrow and Sunderland fail to beat Swansea .

We only need a draw, bugger what the other team does.

What's the point of the academy if we never give them the opportunity to play? 

Curtains, nobody expects a team of under 23 players but some in the squad and cameos to start is required. We spent a quarter of our academy yearly running costs on Cameron Jerome. We could have saved the money and put walker on the bench and he would have achieved more.

fozzy and Olson as left backs. Why not lowe as the back up instead of one of those

baird and wisdom at right back. Why not bogle as back up instead of one of those.

hudds, Thorne, johnson and Ledley at CM. why not elsnick instead of one of those.

make the squad smaller but increase the quality of the first team will both allow a pathway for the under 23's and save the wage bill by not paying 2 first team players for every position. Some of which really aren't that good. 

Archived