Play the U23s and get relegated

Curtains

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
Just now, curtains said:

Not if MM insists on saying like he has that if we don’t get promoted this season we will have to sell and use the U23s 

I'd care even if we had to play the under 16's

He's making noises to tell other clubs we aren't loaded that's all.

Just now, Paul71 said:

I'd care even if we had to play the under 16's

He's making noises to tell other clubs we aren't loaded that's all.

I don’t think that is the case at all. 

I care about the first team and Rowett being given the resources he needs. 

Next season will be even harder if we fail this season with the teams coming down from the Premier. 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, curtains said:

I don’t think that is the case at all. 

I care about the first team and Rowett being given the resources he needs. 

Next season will be even harder if we fail this season with the teams coming down from the Premier. 

We say that every year.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

What have I missed? Mel Morris has said he wants to use U23's next season? Where is the article/interview or whatever it is?

You haven't curtains has been on an all day session 

Sith Happens
Just now, curtains said:

Relegation is easy look at Sunderland Premier League to Div1 in 2 seasons 

Ok, I will let you read those back then to see how you just contradicted yourself. 

@curtains, I don't know if you are being deliberately obtuse here, you must surely know that no-one is suggesting that we change the whole of the first team for the whole of the under 23s.

However, played selectively and at the right times, I consider that a number of those players could have a role to play in our team next season. At the very least, they would bring the energy and pride in wearing the shirt that has been sadly lacking on occasions recently.

I say next season as obviously several of the better players are out on loan and also I fear that introducing them now in such a tense and often hostile situation would be unfair on them.

Specifically, I would like to see Thomas used as an impact sub on the wing and also see no problem with Bennett either when he regains fitness. There's also Kellan Gordon, who had now had a full season experience at Swindon and who has looked good each time I have seen him.

If we are going to give the back three/wingback system a longer run then Jayden Bogle on the right has speed, close control and a good cross and shot. His defensive role would be supported by an experienced central defender alongside him. 

Personally , I would welcome either Zanzala or Walker as our substitute striker every time over Cameron Jerome.

I think Hanson or Guy could hold their own as a CDM alongside Huddlestone and add some movement. Both a bit rash in the challenge, which would be my only worry. Almost worth bringing Hanson on for his corners and dead ball kicks alone.

Lowe is a cultured left back and seems to be holding fitness better this season whilst out on loan. 

Sadly, I see no role for my favourite under 23 player, Elsnik, in the system Rowett currently plays. What a shame as he is probably the most naturally gifted of the lot! I hope our system changes to accommodate him next year as we could certainly do with a player with such flair - would get the crowd on their feet again.

Now before you start saying that's a whole team, I am not suggesting that all of them will be used, just that there are a range of options. Some we could try and fail, some might fly. Each good player has to be given their chance somewhere,  why not at Derby? 

35 minutes ago, curtains said:

He’s tried to find academy players good enough but they ain’t there. 

Mel has an Academy policy which is at odds with a promotion push in my eyes 

As I say play the U23s next season and get relegated I don’t care. 

Kasey Palmer is streets ahead of all of them. 

Same Kasey Palmer who's owned by Chelsea?

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

@curtains, I don't know if you are being deliberately obtuse here, you must surely know that no-one is suggesting that we change the whole of the first team for the whole of the under 23s.

However, played selectively and at the right times, I consider that a number of those players could have a role to play in our team next season. At the very least, they would bring the energy and pride in wearing the shirt that has been sadly lacking on occasions recently.

I say next season as obviously several of the better players are out on loan and also I fear that introducing them now in such a tense and often hostile situation would be unfair on them.

Specifically, I would like to see Thomas used as an impact sub on the wing and also see no problem with Bennett either when he regains fitness. There's also Kellan Gordon, who had now had a full season experience at Swindon and who has looked good each time I have seen him.

If we are going to give the back three/wingback system a longer run then Jayden Bogle on the right has speed, close control and a good cross and shot. His defensive role would be supported by an experienced central defender alongside him. 

Personally , I would welcome either Zanzala or Walker as our substitute striker every time over Cameron Jerome.

I think Hanson or Guy could hold their own as a CDM alongside Huddlestone and add some movement. Both a bit rash in the challenge, which would be my only worry. Almost worth bringing Hanson on for his corners and dead ball kicks alone.

Lowe is a cultured left back and seems to be holding fitness better this season whilst out on loan. 

Sadly, I see no role for my favourite under 23 player, Elsnik, in the system Rowett currently plays. What a shame as he is probably the most naturally gifted of the lot! I hope our system changes to accommodate him next year as we could certainly do with a player with such flair - would get the crowd on their feet again.

Now before you start saying that's a whole team, I am not suggesting that all of them will be used, just that there are a range of options. Some we could try and fail, some might fly. Each good player has to be given their chance somewhere,  why not at Derby? 

Have the fans got the patience though .

Im not being obtuse I’m so fed up with this constant play the reserves comment every time we lose .

How does that give the current 1st team players any confidence.

Every time Luke Thomas isn’t started Rowett gets stick but Kasey Palmer is better than him and he struggles in the Championship.

If we are happy with mid table obscurity or relegation that’s fine .

Its just I’m not sorry. 

I have no objection with playing an U23 player if they are better than what we have .

You quote Bennett but Gary used him at the start of the season but he didn’t cut it did he and then unfortunately he got injured straight away at Notts County. 

A lot of the loaned out players got injured 

3 minutes ago, Waffle said:

With our existing squad (including players out on loan) 

Carson 

Wisdom

Pearce

Davies

Lowe

Hanson/Guy

Elsnik (link between DM’s and Strikers)

Huddlestone

Bogle 

Nugent/Martin

Vydra

My goodness that is relegation 

1 minute ago, robglosta said:

How was Hughes and Hendrick introduced? And we’re they flying from the off? Are our expectations too high? 

Of course our expectations are too high .

We have to be very  patient if we go down the route that MM wants to follow as he said recently after the financial results which he said are unsustainable  that if we don’t make promotion this season we will have to cut costs and rely more on the players coming through .

Archived