Honestly...

GadFly

46 minutes ago, irobinson said:

I’m an old Ram - I got a kick out of going away in the 3rd division - we flooded the little grounds - Ram till I die

Loved it - always my team 

Somerton Park pretty well flooded itself.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said I would be satisfied with 7th - 10th, happy with playoffs before a ball was kicked.

HOWEVER

That was on the proviso Rowett did what he said he would, go for young, hungry players, implement a range of systems, and we played good, progressive football that got the fans on their feet.

I agree with lots of other people - this season hasn't been exciting, even when we were winning.

It isn't just about results for me, it's about style, determination, the bond between players, club and fans, and none of it is there right now.

Then you take the off-pitch stuff, it feels so corporate, so deaf to the fans, it seems a real "We know best" attitude. Little things like the pa volume, not putting scores up at ht, ft, not putting a visible time on the scoreboard. I know, it's all ridiculous stuff, but it adds up for me, sorry.

As a result, this season hasn't been fun for me and I feel very deflated and starting to feel apathetic to it all.

I'm desperate to see it all come good, and that isnt promotion by the way, that means see a club being pisitive across the board, but I just don't see it at the moment.

3 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

If I were Mel and Rowett came to me saying that he wanted Jerome then I'd be seriously questioning Gary's sanity.

But if he came  to him and said (and these are fictitious wages)

we can sign Jerome - seasoned campaigner 30 yrs old on 25k a week - bit old but experienced 

or say someone like Bogle (as an example ) - who we liked at Grimsby and they wanted a mil for him - and he would have got a pay rise to 10k a week - and he going to fuckjn run is legs off, and bully centre halves for the first 60 mins or last 20 mins 

which one would get you out of your seat and rev you up more 

12 hours ago, Yani P said:

I was expecting a challenge for top 2 top 6 as a bare minimum - we are set up to be a Premier League team so anything less as an aspiration would be worrying.

Rowett has been a disaster since things started to turn sour, the worst meltdown we have seen in 5 seasons. But he shows no signs of changing so cant see how we can magically suddenly improve.

When we were 2nd it looked virtually impossible for us to miss the top 6 - yet at the moment Rowett is making that look easy. And still making pitiful excuses for abject performances.

If we make the play-offs great, over 3 games anything can happen - and if we get promoted it will be the most ridiculous turn around that I will have witnessed. 

Anything can happen - its football - but the reality is we are playing like a bottom 3 team not a top 6 team. We have seen some spectacular meltdowns in the last 5 seasons but this already easily the worst and yet Morris is sticking with his man. No idea why as he has shown us nothing.

Imagine this football for the entire 18-19 season - imagine 2 transfer windows with Rowett making decisions like bringing in Jerome..thats what we have in store - I can think of no reason to keep him but then he should have gone last week or the week before.

Top 2?!

Can I ask, do u believe in Miricles too?

end of last season when we finished a very very average mid table and was it Rotherham? that had been relegated that had given  us a good going over last game of the season did u think we should have been top 2 going into the following season?

thats half the problem with our fan base, we're derby county we should be top, we've spent lots of money so we should be top 2, we've got a bigger fan base than most this league so we should be top 2

dont get me wrong I have expectations and standards which I believe were falling way short of right now 

But half the reason we're in this mess is cos of knee jerk reactions from all concerned starting from the top 

I'm not happy with the way things are right now and more worryingly  I think we've just added to a overgrown bloated and aging squad but rowett was regarded as a top young manager before he came to derby, this side isn't finished and we're seeing what is known as a "side in transition" it happens it's football.

it ain't pretty but I genuinely believe if we exercise patience we will be better for it 

6 minutes ago, irobinson said:

But if he came  to him and said (and these are fictitious wages)

we can sign Jerome - seasoned campaigner 30 yrs old on 25k a week - bit old but experienced 

or say someone like Bogle (as an example ) - who we liked at Grimsby and they wanted a mil for him - and he would have got a pay rise to 10k a week - and he going to fuckjn run is legs off, and bully centre halves for the first 60 mins or last 20 mins 

which one would get you out of your seat and rev you up more 

The main problem is that I doubt that an option like Bogle would even come into Gary's head.....

I hate the term "transition season" as its just an excuse for failure.

We have gone from a young team that plays great football to this..

We have made zero progress since the play-off final and actually gone backwards.

Playoffs was a minimum for the squad we had and we have done nothing this season to improve the squad or play better football.

No excuses. If we fail to make playoffs we have failed.

3 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

The main problem is that I doubt that an option like Bogle would even come into Gary's head.....

You might be right

but that’s when a board should say to the manager bring me three striker options to buy - different on the scale - and we will help you make a decision !

2 minutes ago, irobinson said:

You might be right

but that’s when a board should say to the manager bring me three striker options to buy - different on the scale - and we will help you make a decision !

Agree. Gary isn't the only problem, but he's the most obvious, and the most urgent to remedy.

22 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Then you take the off-pitch stuff, it feels so corporate, so deaf to the fans, it seems a real "We know best" attitude. Little things like the pa volume, not putting scores up at ht, ft, not putting a visible time on the scoreboard. I know, it's all ridiculous stuff, but it adds up for me, sorry.

Totally agree. 

I expected us to have a safe mid table season as long as we had a proper rebuild along with it. Once we failed to do so and brought in all these OAPs, my expectations changed to making sure we held on to top 6, anything else would be a failure given we haven’t done the rebuild needed, once again. Our collapse since January and the utter dire football in the last couple of months should mean rowetts dismissal imo.

30 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

But in a way Mel can’t win,if Gary goes to him and says I want to sign Jerome and Mel says no he’s to old would we all be saying he’s not backing the manager and meddling to much?

But if Mel’s strategy is I’m not bothered about promotion, Gary wouldn’t be going to him asking to sign Jerome. He’d be looking down the lower leagues for someone.

People have whinged about us not going for it in January yet clearly looking at the finances, we didn’t have a pot to piss in.

17 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

To be honest a fair few players are going up be moving on in the Sumner which will give more flexibility to GR if he is still here. 

I dont envisage Nuge or Jerome to be our main strikers next season and especially as both of them are out of contract next season.  Maybe Winnall will join on permanent a deal i would welcome.

We will need a new full back for sure but Wisdom is good enough. LB is more of a problem Lowe looks like a great candidate there.

Midfield is another problem area but Huddlestone will stay combined with a new addition and maybe Bryson if he will have us back.

There is so much potential to improve in the summer. Some of the parts are there just going to be shrewd about moulding youth and experience i think. 

Appreciate your positivity. But what you suggest will happen next season, surely should have happened this season??

18 hours ago, derbydaz22 said:

What a ridiculous comment playing crap football and finishing 8th or 9th no. Now playing good football with a young team finishing 12th yes

What's ridiculous is implying that a team hypothetically finishing lower can possibly be playing "better" football than one that hypothetically finishes higher. Define "good" football! For me good football is football that wins matches. Convince me otherwise... 

Id accept a mid table finish if we were blooding youngsters, attempting to play proper football & could see commitment from the players & some sort of plan 

However we look the worst ive seen us in four years, signed some OAPs and are an utter shambles which is totally unacceptable regrdless of what position we finish in  

1 hour ago, GadFly said:

What's ridiculous is implying that a team hypothetically finishing lower can possibly be playing "better" football than one that hypothetically finishes higher. Define "good" football! For me good football is football that wins matches. Convince me otherwise... 

So QPR played better football than Derby County in ‘that’ playoff final ? 

12 hours ago, G-Ram said:

So QPR played better football than Derby County in ‘that’ playoff final ? 

Derby fans happier than qpr fans at the end of that final?

14 hours ago, GadFly said:

One might have a young improving squad and a philosophy that's implemented and so can recruit to fit.

The other might have an old squad with no resale value that played the percentages and been slightly fortunate over the season.

You might believe one will develop into something good while you expect the other to have slight short term advantages and a poor future

Archived