Honestly...

GadFly

1 hour ago, archied said:

Derby fans happier than qpr fans at the end of that final?

I spoke to a few QPR fans outside Wembley. 

Most said we'd smash the league next year and we'd probably be the next Swansea. They believed Harry would do the dodgy deals to keep them up but if ever I saw a short term gains set up it was QPR. 

4 years later where are they? Below Derby. And they've been there since what? 1 year after Wembley? 

And that's including the totally inadequate development of a good Derby squad. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there looked like being any sort of plan in place I’d have taken finishing just about anywhere above the relegation battle.

It sounds kind of mental but not so much now, but last year, I was kind of jealous of Forest. Obviously they ended up a little too close for comfort but at least on the pitch there looked like a plan and direction. Young players with an affinity to the club who are all learning together.

We could’ve made do with Johnson until Guy was fit and then thrown him in next to Huddlestone, instead we signed Ledley. Elsnik could’ve easily got loads of games off the bench, would Zanzala have been a worse option than Jerome? 

As it is we’ve exacerbated all the problems that we’ve had by chasing promotion too quickly again. I’d ban the signing of anyone over 25 next season, they get three or four year contracts and have no resale. Stick with what we’ve got, supplement that with our academy players who are out on loan and a couple of loans and then we’re in a munch better place when all these contracts run out at the end of next season.

28 minutes ago, Alpha said:

One might have a young improving squad and a philosophy that's implemented and so can recruit to fit.

The other might have an old squad with no resale value that played the percentages and been slightly fortunate over the season.

You might believe one will develop into something good while you expect the other to have slight short term advantages and a poor future

There's a difference between what's "good football" and what's "good business", no? You're talking about the latter, and I'm talking about the former. In an ideal world you'd have both. 

Last August I was prepared for it to be a 'transitional' season in which we start the rebuild but will linger around the mid table position with nothing to play for.

Instead, we are in a position where there is something to fight for right up to the final game in May. The reality of this is that the expected rebuild hasn't happened, the players brought in, with the exception of Lawrence are quick fixes and therefore, if we don't go up we will be in a much worse position for 2018/19.

Hey-ho!

19 hours ago, GadFly said:

What's ridiculous is implying that a team hypothetically finishing lower can possibly be playing "better" football than one that hypothetically finishes higher. Define "good" football! For me good football is football that wins matches. Convince me otherwise... 

Good football means playing to feet everyone comfortable on the ball and a game plan,not just launching the ball at your strikers throat and keeping men behind the ball this cautious football will only get you so far and it’s boring to watch. Have you enjoyed this season? And can you see progress ?

Archived